Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
I thought he had been ok recently. I had been paying more attention to him. Because he is often viewed as the player to make way when bigger names are returning.

I thought he was one of our mid tier performers in previous games. Yesterday seemed to be playing more forward and not involved.

Last 4 games 13 possessions (1 goal), 13 possessions (1 goal), 13 possessions, 13 possessions, and 12 possessions.

he did exactly what he did yesterday as he did the previous weeks. You can't have sub 15 possession wingers. These need to be 20 plus at a minimum

Straight swap for Barrass

I'dd send a first rounder with Campbell too. Honestly he can kick...when he does it 5-6 times a game. What else does he too, average defensively so it's not that. Roerts had more possessions in the last two weeks than Campbell had in half a season!

Every single player that ran out yesterday was 80% off their best efforts.
90% of them wouldn't get a game with North's worst team this year.

His last 5 weeks have been the same 10-13/14 possessions if we are lucky a goal. That’s his limit. We compound it by playing him on the wing. Just play him small forward it might work there

You guys are attacking the wrong member of our team.
He is the number 22 to 25 in line as a guaranteed starter.
The blokes you go after are the ones who took their time signing a contract in front of them & who have been drinking their own bath water for a number of weeks now.

Not the guys who may or may not be developing or who are on year to year contracts.

Campbell only having a left foot is the least of our worries.

You guys are attacking the wrong member of our team.
He is the number 22 to 25 in line as a guaranteed starter.
The blokes you go after are the ones who took their time signing a contract in front of them & who have been drinking their own bath water for a number of weeks now.

Not the guys who may or may not be developing or who are on year to year contracts.

Campbell only having a left foot is the least of our worries.
Stephens added more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the wrong call , but he was like that
Amartey has been much better this season in terms of effort. Results still a bit iffy but he worked damned hard yesterday and was one of only half a dozen or so that did. Even McLean was off and his effort is usually top level. Logan was nowhere, Hayward should never have played (injured), Wicks buzzed around but rarely in the right spots, Fox was shuffled back and forward. Gulden played further forward than usual (swapped with JJ) but that didn't work for either.
Absolutely dreadful. Had me screaming - literally.

I will play devil's advocate here..

I think it's a tough team to be a wingman in at the moment. We just aren't getting much supply from the contest, so the wingmen are just standing in space holding their width (as they should) but not getting the pill. Then when it's time for us to transition - an aspect the wingmen can get involved in - we're choosing to go long with blind kicks down the line instead. In the times our wingmen/flanker types like Campbell, Jordon, Warner Jr. did get the ball yesterday, we looked most dangerous with our ball movement. (Even if most of the plays still ended up coming undone by an inexplicable skill error somewhere in the chain.)

That to me suggests if we can get the ball in their hands more, they can be dangerous for us. More supply from the contest, less long kicks down the line over the wingmen's heads.

I will play devil's advocate here..

I think it's a tough team to be a wingman in at the moment. We just aren't getting much supply from the contest, so the wingmen are just standing in space holding their width (as they should) but not getting the pill. Then when it's time for us to transition - an aspect the wingmen can get involved in - we're choosing to go long with blind kicks down the line instead. In the times our wingmen/flanker types like Campbell, Jordon, Warner Jr. did get the ball yesterday, we looked most dangerous with our ball movement. (Even if most of the plays still ended up coming undone by an inexplicable skill error somewhere in the chain.)

That to me suggests if we can get the ball in their hands more, they can be dangerous for us. More supply from the contest, less long kicks down the line over the wingmen's heads.

Both Jordan and Corey look a mile more likely to get the ball than Campbell who has a distinct phobia of finding the ball has his whole career so that’s not changing

Both Jordan and Corey look a mile more likely to get the ball than Campbell who has a distinct phobia of finding the ball has his whole career so that’s not changing
My point being that it's hard to judge the wingmen and flankers on the last few games. Blaming them is scapegoating really.

My point being that it's hard to judge the wingmen and flankers on the last few games. Blaming them is scapegoating really.

It isn’t just the last few games, it’s his whole career. Matt Roberts got the ball near 60 times the last two games imagine how long it would take Campbell to do that. Big difference Roberts wants the ball.

He didn't seem to have much of a problem finding the footy in the first month or so of his career playing as a defender.

Problem is he probably lacks the intensity to play there full-time. Still wouldn't be entirely opposed to swapping him with an out-of-form defender (like Blakey) next week and seeing how they both do. That's assuming he isn't dropped which would also be completely fair enough.

Definitely getting a bit concerned about him. Just doesn't seem to have developed from his debut season at all. His stats suggest as much too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back