Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

tomorrow Helen - he said he's leaving on the 2nd!
someone get Aunty Helen her meds, she's off her rocker.....again

It wasn't me Komrade but I have reported the following post. Someone has hijacked MY account.

Post reported. Account hijacked. TFL78 is on an international flight at the moment.

Great post brother, you made me moist.

18tH92-1G5w-300x200.jpg
Not getting sucked into sleepovers again only to have my feelings crushed 71 :D

Jeez, overreact much? Seriously, as if the number he wears on his back has any real bearing on whether he makes it as a footballer. If anything it will add just that little bit of extra inspiration to follow in Maurice's footsteps. If any player is so mentally weak that their jumper no. becomes a burden then let's face it, they're never going to make it anyway.

a couple of years ago there were people on here who wanted the number reserved for the captain........there was a huge thread on this at the time

I'm not upset about it or anything, just think it's a bit premature. Why not make him earn it? Keep it on ice for a year or two. No harm in that.
I'm also not fussed. The problem I have with "earning it" is what do you have to do to qualify for that? Do you just rock up and play a few games? Do you have to get coaches votes to "earn it"? Do you have to play in the seniors or can you just "earn it" in the reserves?
Because there is no clear definition of "earning it", I actually believe it is a bit of a waste of time. If you are a gun recruit and a low number is vacant, you get it. If it's not, you wait till it vacates and then grab it if you wish. That's what we used to do and it is what most teams do.

I'm also not fussed. The problem I have with "earning it" is what do you have to do to qualify for that? Do you just rock up and play a few games? Do you have to get coaches votes to "earn it"? Do you have to play in the seniors or can you just "earn it" in the reserves?
Because there is no clear definition of "earning it", I actually believe it is a bit of a waste of time. If you are a gun recruit and a low number is vacant, you get it. If it's not, you wait till it vacates and then grab it if you wish. That's what we used to do and it is what most teams do.

exactly. corey lennon. fat. plays a handful of games. gets dropped. gets #7.

i'm outraged dan rioli has been allowed to skip this and gone straight into his big pappi's number :rolleyes:

Last edited:
exactly. corey ellis. injured. plays a handful of games. injured again. gets #7.

i'm outraged dan rioli has been allowed to skip this and gone straight into his big pappi's number :rolleyes:
Shhhhhh… It was Lennon who got no.7. Corey still has 32……

But I understand your sentiments.

Earning it would be winning the respect of the playing and coaching group based on action rather than family history. Whether he does that on or off field doesn't really matter.

It's just that our 'tradition' of making newcomers earn their number is undermined by this. Dan is getting special treatment, and while I don't really care, it's just surprising that we'd do it considering the culture Dimma has been building.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Earning it would be winning the respect of the playing and coaching group based on action rather than family history. Whether he does that on or off field doesn't really matter.

It's just that our 'tradition' of making newcomers earn their number is undermined by this. Dan is getting special treatment, and while I don't really care, it's just surprising that we'd do it considering the culture Dimma has been building.
Agree with you- Tiger cubs need to earn their stripes

Like the tradition of the Captain getting 17….

So are there criteria that you can see that describe what is required to win respect? No. Again, it's this touchy feely sort of notion.

If you do it, do it properly and not half arsed. Publish criteria to the playing group of standards they must reach to qualify for a low number. However, to do it properly, you should maintain those standards too. So players that "lose the respect" of the playing group should have their low number taken off them and then given a high number. Doing it "properly" thus would be a farce.

Hence I think it's silly.

So are there criteria that you can see that describe what is required to win respect? No. Again, it's this touchy feely sort of notion.

If you do it, do it properly and not half arsed. Publish criteria to the playing group of standards they must reach to qualify for a low number. However, to do it properly, you should maintain those standards too. So players that "lose the respect" of the playing group should have their low number taken off them and then given a high number. Doing it "properly" thus would be a farce.

What about signifigance and history of the number; if he fails to make the transition and god forbids doesnt play a senior game his name goes against that number in our history for life. I still think at his age and journey into footy the number should have come to him once it was time for him to step up into the big show.

The captain tradition was silly and lasted an appropriate amount of time (what, 3 years?). Not really a tradition.

And yes the notion of earning a lower number is ambiguous, but it says to me that the club views its players equally and what they do INSIDE the club is what matters, not where they came from, not what their name is, not what they've done in their career so far. This has altered that view slightly for me.

Or on an optimistic note. As he starts putting some magic moments in the VFL the anticipation will build. He WILL get named for his first game and the media will be all over it. Maurice will get more respect (deserved), and Daniel WILL kick his first goal for Richmond wearing the number 17 and some of us old blokes will have some memories tug hard.

What happens after that, time will tell, but his whole career will be in the number 17 and it seems right to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Traded to GC, picks 6&23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back