Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Did not get to give game undivided attention last night but I thought Melksham was good and almost really good.

The frustrating things is that we are still in the build up. He doesn't yet have the confidence for those moments of brilliance.

The penny will drop in the next few weeks and he'll rip a game apart like he was doing last year. But the process takes way too long each year.

If Hocking wansn't doing as well as he is Melksham would be full time tagging in my team at least for the first few months of each season.

Someone needs to work out what make the boy tick. Because all evidence suggests he doesn't know and that no one at the club seems to know.

Last edited:
Did not get to give game undivided attention last night but I thought Melksham was good and almost really good.

The frustrating things is that we are still in the build up. He doesn't yet have the confidence he needs to handle the ball cleanly and kick it well.

The penny will drop in the next few weeks and he'll rip a game apart like he was doing last year.

Someone needs to work out what make the boy tick. Because all evidence suggests he doesn't know and that no one at the club seems to know.

Reminds me of Brad Ebert before Ken Hinkley got a hold of him.

Think that many have forgotten how horrible Ebert was pretty much the entire time before 2013.

Scott Selwood is another.

He couldn't hit the side of a barn with his kicking.
Now look at him. Still plenty of hope for Jakey to go to an elite level.

Guess Fletcher, Ambrose, Bellchambers, Baguley, Zaka and Daniher didn't do enough last night, based on your criteria.

You are saying this because you gave Melksham 2 votes in the Big Footy Award. Melksham was no better than last week.

You are saying this because you gave Melksham 2 votes in the Big Footy Award. Melksham was no better than last week.

Serious?

How is 24 disposals, 1 goal and 7 tackles "no better" than
17 disposals, 0 goals and 1 tackle?

On top of that, 17 of Melksham's 24 possessions were contested (5th highest in the league for the round)

Seriously? You really think I am just writing all of this stuff to justify that I gave Melksham 2 votes in the bigfooty award? It couldn't be because, I dunno, I actually rated his performance as good (hence the votes). I have better things to do with my time than write a bunch of contrived posts to act as an alibi of votes on an internet forum.

Melksham's performance was very good. 2 weeks ago, we were asking who was going to step into Watson's void and contribute to the clearance work of our team. Melksham is that man. He was pivotal around stoppages. For once, just take of your anti-melksham cape and watch him play. You might be surprised.

If Melksham had've had 0 touches against Adelaide, it would've been an improvement on his Melbourne game.

He was genuinely that bad against the Dees.

As it were, he was still kinda sucky, but he would've had at least 10-15 effective touches, so he was clearly better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously? You really think I am just writing all of this stuff to justify that I gave Melksham 2 votes in the bigfooty award? It couldn't be because, I dunno, I actually rated his performance as good (hence the votes). I have better things to do with my time than write a bunch of contrived posts to act as an alibi of votes on an internet forum.

Melksham's performance was very good. 2 weeks ago, we were asking who was going to step into Watson's void and contribute to the clearance work of our team. Melksham is that man. He was pivotal around stoppages. For once, just take of your anti-melksham cape and watch him play. You might be surprised.

Just out of curiosity, do the bigfooty votes work on a Brownlow 3-2-1 system? (Don't know where to look)

Melksham 17 contested possessions - for Adelaide. I'd like to see some under 18s video of Melksham to see why he was chosen as a top ten pick, because apart from one good patch he has been below par since day one at Essendon.
I would rather any of Z Merrett J Merrett Gleeson Ashby Kav, even Colyer before Melksham.

How can Bomber keep selecting him on form? Stinks of another 'Carlisle forward' ego trip.

Thats article sounds like the outside ASADA issue/speculation may have been affecting him more so than others. His performance against the crows was ok/avg and an improvement. He was incredibly fumbly, looking at where his team mates are and opposition are whilst running after a football then fumbling it twice just rings of no confidence ATM. He needs to play with Jobe not there as shown he can be a very very good inside midfielder and contested footballer.

Still feel hes finding his feet with going from a predominantly outside quick player to a now inside hard nosed onballer. I think he will have a very strong back half of the season without Jobe there.

Thats article sounds like the outside ASADA issue/speculation may have been affecting him more so than others. His performance against the crows was ok/avg and an improvement. He was incredibly fumbly, looking at where his team mates are and opposition are whilst running after a football then fumbling it twice just rings of no confidence ATM. He needs to play with Jobe not there as shown he can be a very very good inside midfielder and contested footballer.

Still feel hes finding his feet with going from a predominantly outside quick player to a now inside hard nosed onballer. I think he will have a very strong back half of the season without Jobe there.

He certainly made it sound that way and put a few others in the same boat. A bit of confirmation that it has been affecting some of the players.

Serious?

How is 24 disposals, 1 goal and 7 tackles "no better" than
17 disposals, 0 goals and 1 tackle?

On top of that, 17 of Melksham's 24 possessions were contested (5th highest in the league for the round)

I look at value for possessions - Little or no value from Melksham's possessions in the last two weeks - And this week he continually fumbled,

Melksham got no value for his possessions - In terms of skills and decision-making it was an awful game - Getting the ball was no issue - But you must get value for your hard work - The fact is that Melksham is a favored son and is very ordinary player for someone with 91 games experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back