Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Very different player in a very different era. Not sure they are comparable.

If the club thinks his future holds time in the midfield, they will find time for him there in 2019, even at the expense of others who we would have ahead of him.

He's behind: Cripps, Walsh, SPS, Fisher, Murphy, Curnow, Setterfield, Kennedy, O'Brien, Dow, Cuningham, JSOS, Lang (once fit) and probably Stocker once he shows his abilities.

Undersized, fumbles, lacks composure, kicks into the man too often, etc.

I'd be shocked if it happened, he's just not going to cut it as an AFL midfielder.

Very different player in a very different era. Not sure they are comparable.

If the club thinks his future holds time in the midfield, they will find time for him there in 2019, even at the expense of others who we would have ahead of him.
I hear you, but I think the primary object should be to keep him within the group if possible; provided he plays a worthwhile role. I don't think he'll be played in a midrole, at the expense of others, if he is not performing in that role. Furthermore I don't think that will do his confidence any good. I think the time to get creative and try something different is fast approaching.

I must say the hype around this kid is something else....it just feels different to every other number 1 that we’ve had in my opinion. Gibbs included. He plays differently, he trains differently, he’s on another planet in terms of his confidence. Luck with injury permitting he might just actually be one of the most consistent AFL footballers we have seen right from day dot.

Last year I couldn’t believe we said no to offers for pick 1 given we had so much talent on the list and we needed top end mature players.... however given reports to date in training and yesterday its justified.... we really have a serious football player on our hands here.

Ha. Which one of you did this to his Wikipedia page? :p

ATmBqR6.png

He's behind: Cripps, Walsh, SPS, Fisher, Murphy, Curnow, Setterfield, Kennedy, O'Brien, Dow, Cuningham, JSOS, Lang (once fit) and probably Stocker once he shows his abilities.

I'd be shocked if it happened, he's just not going to cut it as an AFL midfielder.

Putting it like this really highlights the challenge ahead of him. Even if he does improve, is he likely to ever make it into our top 8 midfielders? Top 10?

Could be that if keeps making a decent show of it in the VFL he might end up as trade bait and go somewhere else for more opportunity. Not wishing that on him, but it's not hard to imagine.

Polson? You don't ever want to say impossible as much as for JSilvagni, LeBois or even Finbar.........but let's be practical.

If we didn't know the name and just listed the attributes, you may look at him as a small lock-down defender....and at a distance, lock-down mid.
Even this far out I just feel that's where his home (if he is to have one) will lie. We sure could do with one right now.

Polson? You don't ever want to say impossible as much as for JSilvagni, LeBois or even Finbar.........but let's be practical.

If we didn't know the name and just listed the attributes, you may look at him as a small lock-down defender....and at a distance, lock-down mid.
Even this far out I just feel that's where his home (if he is to have one) will lie. We sure could do with one right now.

It's clear that the defensive side of the game are where his strengths reside, rather than his ability to make plays.
You've convinced me that he has the attributes to play as a small defender, pity it likely won't happen in 2019.

why do you think that it is unlikely?

They've spent the pre-season training him to play as a forward/mid.

Unless the coaches have the same epiphany that HARKER has had, difficult to see it happening this year. Although Jones was converted into a backman halfway through a season...

Last year, shortly following the early rounds, the coach made a comment that players were so eager to follow through that they took instruction to the extreme; leaving aside the defensive part of their game, adopting pure offence. Campol strikes me as the type of player that just goes out there to execute instruction; almost too readily inhibiting his natural footy instinct. In that case, give him a narrow focus and he just might execute with the same extreme focus that appears to be inhibiting the creative side of his game.

It's clear that the defensive side of the game are where his strengths reside, rather than his ability to make plays.
You've convinced me that he has the attributes to play as a small defender, pity it likely won't happen in 2019.

Wow guys. After one practice match. Polson has trained as a forward all pre season. Give him a chance
Garlett is similar. He's trained all summer as a defender. Give him a chance. The MC aren't going to change their roles after a practice game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've spent the pre-season training him to play as a forward/mid.

Unless the coaches have the same epiphany that HARKER has had, difficult to see it happening this year. Although Jones was converted into a backman halfway through a season...

Jones was also 25 with 100 games.

He's not competing with half those guys for midfield minutes, and it's optimistic to assume all will be fit and available at the same time anyway.

All bar the first I believe are issues which can be ironed out, and there are plenty his size who have made it at the highest level.

I'm not suggesting he's a sure thing, but we shouldn't rule it out completely - he's not even 21 yet. Revisit in 12 months and it will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

I was and remain on the Rankine bandwagon, but by golly he shook my faith in that call today in the best possible manner.

Looked a million bucks for a 1st year (1st game) player. Got a feeling he might average 20 touches a game as a 1st year player, which puts him in a class above most of the great mids of our generation.

Looking forward to him getting a few years and some games into his legs and filling out a bit.

Heres hoping he continues to make me look foolish.
Will be 23 a game. Which I’ve said before and was attacked for.

Bet I don’t get attacked now....

Has two strong Nathan Buckley like attributes this kid. Think carefully.

1. The professionalism / will to get the best out of himself. At a very young age.

2. Perpetual motion / awareness of where the ball is going/ constantly in play/ hard running (ok maybe that’s few rolled into one).

There are many differences of course. But he does remind me of Bucks in those ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back