Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

And Harper at 27.

We struck gold.

Players picked immediately ahead of Atley:

Lucas Cook
Seb Tape
Brodie Smith*
Billie Smedts
Ben Jacobs

Based purely on predraft footage of that lot I'd have chosen Atley.

Jacobs just had something NQR. Looked a bit of an accumulator without hurt factor.

*Didn't watch any Smedts predraft but based on his Geelong output reckon he could be of a similar standard to Ats. Both clubs would be happy with what they got.

He is only 19.

I am looking forward to another 10 years (at least) of this.

I need to lie down.

If he's anything like Boomer, in the longevity stakes, we're looking at another 20 years of this TPA. Make it a long lie down!

I'm reading the majority of people say they want/expect Atley to move into the middle next year. I have to say, I disagree.

- We have one of the best lockdown/running defenders in the league. You don't throw that away lightly. We would need to find someone else to matchup on the gun small forwards of the league.

- He's not big enough to play as an inside mid yet and win his own ball. This is clearly his best spot and where I believe he'll end up (and dominate). Putting him on the wing is entirely different. He struggled in that role in 2011. He didn't read the play well enough to find the footy.

I want us to hold off for at least another year, maybe two. I'm pretty certain moving him up the ground wouldn't help the team in the short term and I'm not at all convinced it would help Atley long term.

Straight into the middle for mine. We need far more speed in these positions ASAP.

Being wasted in defense where he runs into traffic too much purely due to weight of numbers, and his explosion of pace is not hurting opposition as much as it could be. Mullett can hopefully do his role at half back (even if it with less pace).

I agree he might be a bit light for inside full time, but we have been playing Bastinac around stoppages and Atley is bigger/stronger, and a better player IMO.

Good question.

I say midfield because he will be more dangerous there and an absolute nightmare for opposition coaches. He would quickly become someone other teams would have to tag, freeing up Wellsy and Harvey a bit more.

Regarding your concerns
- We have one of the best lockdown/running defenders in the league. You don't throw that away lightly. We would need to find someone else to matchup on the gun small forwards of the league.

I think that Mullett might be in a position to step into this role next year. He has a nice frame for further physical development and is a good, natural footballer with a good defensive technique.

- He's not big enough to play as an inside mid yet and win his own ball. This is clearly his best spot and where I believe he'll end up (and dominate). Putting him on the wing is entirely different. He struggled in that role in 2011. He didn't read the play well enough to find the footy.
I'd say at 189cm and mid 80's kg he is well big enough to hold his own, or will be after another preseason. His confidence and self belief will be greater so I reckon he will be ready to go. In the stoppages rotations will be good for him because he will be getting stuck in as well as having the opportunity to use his toe to break away from the outside.

Straight into the middle (or wing) for mine. We need far more speed in these positions ASAP.

Being wasted in defense where he runs into traffic too much purely due to weight of numbers, and his natural explosion is not hurting opposition as much as it could be. Mullett can hopefully do his role at half back (even if it with less pace).

I agree he might be a bit light for inside full time, but we have been playing Bastinac around stoppages and Atley is bigger/stronger, and a better player IMO.

We haven't really been playing Basti inside. His possessions are almost exclusively uncontested (in fact he was 9th overall for total uncontested ball in 2012).

Our inside mids are Swallow, Wells, Ziebell and Cunnington. Occasionally, Gibson, Adams and Basti get a very brief turn in there but Scott rarely ventures away from the main 4.

In: Mullet (back) replaces Atley, Kennedy (Back) replaces MacMillan, Moloney (midfield)

Clearances: Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Moloney Garlett/Greenwood

Transition players: Atley, Wells, Adams, MacMillan, Wells, Harvey, Wright, Bastinac

In: Mullet (back) replaces Atley, Kennedy (Back) replaces MacMillan, Moloney (midfield)

Clearances: Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Moloney Garlett/Greenwood

Transition players: Atley, Wells, Adams, MacMillan, Wells, Harvey, Wright, Bastinac

I'm not sure they'd all fit. And, once again, you're ignoring Wells as a clearance player.

How would you form the best 22, Teff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me depends entirely on Mullet's development. If Scott is comfortable enough with him playing Atley's role then YES to the midfield. I'd have to see the defense without Atley in it tbh because he just creates so much bloody run from the back. He's like a Yarran but far superior.

Probably worth pointing out that Mullett has never been exposed to the opposition's most dangerous small forward (and perhaps even the 2nd most dangerous). That job has been done by Rawlings, McMahon and Atley lately. I'm not sure how good Mullett's defensive qualities are (not saying they're bad, we just haven't seen them).

As natural progression suggests, atley will probably spend more time up the ground on the wing next season.

He is a midfielder, we have played him down back to let him develop his game, now he looks comfortable and ready to be unleashed into the midfield.

McKenzie will come in and develop his game in Atley's position just like this season.

Atley's pace and agility is too valuable to be wasted in the Backline. I'd be very happy to see Atley further up the ground next season.

We haven't really been playing Basti inside. His possessions are almost exclusively uncontested (in fact he was 9th overall for total uncontested ball in 2012).

Our inside mids are Swallow, Wells, Ziebell and Cunnington. Occasionally, Gibson, Adams and Basti get a very brief turn in there but Scott rarely ventures away from the main 4.

No, I understand Basti hasn't and I didn't say he was inside.

But he is a constant at stoppages to be offensive and link up to the players you mention. I think Atley will be far better playing the releasing role as Basti's disposal is not damaging.

For me depends entirely on Mullet's development. If Scott is comfortable enough with him playing Atley's role then YES to the midfield. I'd have to see the defense without Atley in it tbh because he just creates so much bloody run from the back. He's like a Yarran but far superior.

Except, unlike Yarran, he plays on an opponent all the time which is a plus.

Yarran's a great example of leaving a dangerous runner in defence, though.

As natural progression suggests, atley will probably spend more time up the ground on the wing next season.

He is a midfielder, we have played him down back to let him develop his game, now he looks comfortable and ready to be unleashed into the midfield.

McKenzie will come in and develop his game in Atley's position just like this season.

Atley's pace and agility is too valuable to be wasted in the Backline. I'd be very happy to see Atley further up the ground next season.

No no no. Brad doesn't have the speed for that role. He's far more similar to Wright than Atley. He's about as versatile as Wright as well.

Except, unlike Yarran, he plays on an opponent all the time which is a plus.

Yarran's a great example of leaving a dangerous runner in defence, though.
That's one thing that really surprised me about Atley's game. He never gets his flag lowered by the dangerous small forwards. To create that much run whilst also closing down the betts and cyrils of the game is a very valuable asset to have!

That's one thing that really surprised me about Atley's game. He never gets his flag lowered by the dangerous small forwards. To create that much run whilst also closing down the betts and cyrils of the game is a very valuable asset to have!

So unfortunate that in Betts and Cyril you picked two guys who Thompson spent quite a bit of time on. But yeah, I agree. What he's doing is remarkable. Gotta say Ballantyne got away from him, though.

I know Hunter has in the past but did he this year (I could be mistaken)? It just means our best defender can play on a bigger body, but that's what I love about our defense. Versatility is in and we have Grima, hunter, and spud able to play big and small.

Ballantyne is a crafty sh*t though and a lot more experienced than Atley (i'd have preferred McMahon). In saying that Ballantyne ran away with it in the last quarter when we packed up and left early

As soon as he's ready he should move into the midfield. His explosive pace out of stoppages and ability to hit a target would be priceless. I can see him kicking long goals too. Next year though, I think he will still be playing as a defender but I reckon he'll get more chances to have a run in the middle.

Another year down Half Back, then replace him with McDonald who should be a day one start.

McKenzie and Mullet to get a spot by Wright Moving forward, MacMillan getting more midfield time or Injury. Personally I think McKenzie might need another year, but I'd really like to see Mullett with an extended run.

play him on the wing,no need for him to be a major ball winner,he should be the outlet for our inside mids to dish off to,should also be the beneficiary of some blocking/shepherding from team mates so he can "get and go" will either spot up a leading forward or slam through a goal after a casual bounce or two,can also be used off the wing to apply some defensive pressure if opposition win the clearance,or can use his pace to swoop on a loose ball,

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back