Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

As Abraham Lincoln said

you cant raise a man up
by dragging another man down

Atley does not become a better player by bagging Heppell

Question
has anyone ever seen Atley kick on his left foot?

and can he mark, just asking

As Abraham Lincoln said

you cant raise a man up
by dragging another man down

Atley does not become a better player by bagging Heppell

Question
has anyone ever seen Atley kick on his left foot?

and can he mark, just asking

Quality post.

I understand the love of banter etc, but it's unnecessary to go around bagging good young players that might of had a tough game.

Sure Heppell might be having a down year, but so has Cunnington, Jack, Bastinac and Atley at times, and we'd be the first to back them in.

There's certainly alot of aspects that Heppell has all over Atley, and theres alot of things Atley has all over Heppell.

I don't understand some peoples inability to be even the slightest bit complementary to opposition players.

He will never have the superstar status as a defender, sad but that is the reality, the big time is for midfielders or power forwards.

I know some at the club would love to unleash him into the midfield, question is will players like McKenzie and perhaps little chief in a few years give the opportunity to do so?

I think the mistake Carlton have made is to only get the explosive nature of Yarran a handful of times a game rather than a lot more in the guts. I know you need those qualities in defence as well but there is a huge difference between what Judd gives to Carlton and what Yarran does. I am curious how we go with Atley in the coming years.

I think the mistake Carlton have made is to only get the explosive nature of Yarran a handful of times a game rather than a lot more in the guts. I know you need those qualities in defence as well but there is a huge difference between what Judd gives to Carlton and what Yarran does. I am curious how we go with Atley in the coming years.

Atley is being kept back there because he is actually a very good defender. The fact he is also unbelievably good at rebounding is just a huge bonus.

I think we can afford to keep him in the backline for years to come. This may sound ridiculous but i can see him becoming a dangerous half back flanker in the mould of Andrew McLeod. The test for him will be when opposition teams send a defensive forward to him to tag and nulllify his impact running out of defence. All have to say to the poor bloke who gets that job is....good luck.

I think we can afford to keep him in the backline for years to come. This may sound ridiculous but i can see him becoming a dangerous half back flanker in the mould of Andrew McLeod. The test for him will be when opposition teams send a defensive forward to him to tag and nulllify his impact running out of defence. All have to say to the poor bloke who gets that job is....good luck.

Easy to tag blokes like Yarran and Hurn. Much harder to tag Atley who will go to the best small forward.

Atley is being kept back there because he is actually a very good defender. The fact he is also unbelievably good at rebounding is just a huge bonus.

I am still of the belief you don't buy a ferrari to take the rubbish to the tip. We can get other players to do the defensive work.

It was the same reason I bemoaned when we tried to turn Tarrant into a full back, it is a poor use of your resources.

A lot of A grade midfielders do the hard running down back and do a lot of the defensive rebounding regardless of playing on the ball but if you can constantly get that spread from clearances then I think it is far more valuable there. If that is the only role he can play I am happy with that, but if he can become an A grade midfielder he would be far more valuable.

Similarly, our lack of rotations meant Wright had to be thrown on the ball. He is another that can do tagging/defensive roles, nothing wrong if that is the best you can offer to a side, just feel he is capable of being a lot more damaging/exciting/valuable in an offensive role.

But, I am no coach, just my opinion. :p

Oh yeah I think he'll end up in the guts too, just saying if he wasn't so good defensively he'd probably already be spending more time up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way he is ready to go into the midfield yet, but if he can develop a tank then I think its inevitable.

He will be missed down back though that is certain. It might take a Kennedy or Mullet stepping up to allow us the luxury of shifting him.

The kid is a gun. Just love everyhing he does...

Half back is the most important position on the ground in our setup IMO... and he is killing it.

Was a shining light when we were poo earlier in the year and is now "universally admired" amongst the football community. The best young player we've recruited since the Duck.

Not sure if anyone noticed but he spent about 10 minutes on the ball at the start of the last quarter against Essendon. Obviously that was due to Adams and Wells going down but it shows that he is part of our extended midfield rotation, I'd be surprised if he wasn't spending time on the midfield structures during the week.

Jesus boys and girls, when the game opened up in the last his run out of the back line was simply electric again. Such a good player already.

Burnt three of the black and white witches hats from a standing start. Then got it back off Anthony and burnt the world's fastest Irish man in Mooney.

He's so hnghh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back