AFL Player #19: Nick Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

Show my boy some love and money EFC - from AFL.com…

TALKS YET TO START ON BOMBER

NICK Hind's strong run of form returning to the forward line is yet to see the speedy Bomber engage in any contract talks.

Hind was either the starting substitute or subbed out of Essendon's games in five of his first six matches this season, however an important showing against Greater Western Sydney in nine when he gathered 20 disposals and a goal kickstarted his consistency.

The former Saint, who crossed to Essendon at the end of 2020, kicked two goals from 25 disposals against Richmond in Dreamtime at the 'G and was again excellent against Gold Coast the following week with 24 disposals and a goal.

T5gR9Bei.jpg

Nick Hind celebrates a goal during the R12 match between Essendon and Gold Coast at People First Stadium on June 2. 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Hind is among the group of Bombers who remain out of contract heading into the back end of the season but his agent Scott Lucas from Phoenix Management Group said discussions hadn't yet picked up to extend into 2025.

"Nick's had a really strong month of football. [He was] a little bit up and down early, we're perhaps not entirely objective as managers but I thought he was a little bit unlucky at times early in the year when he was a sub or subbed out with what he was able to contribute to the team," Lucas told AFL.com.au's draft and trade show Gettable.

"Leg speed is critical and he's got that and can get penetrating in his kicking, so I thought he was a little bit unlucky. If he continues to play the way he has then I'm sure we'll be able to work something out with Essendon but no discussions as such as yet." – Callum Twomey

Show my boy some love and money EFC - from AFL.com…

TALKS YET TO START ON BOMBER

NICK Hind's strong run of form returning to the forward line is yet to see the speedy Bomber engage in any contract talks.

Hind was either the starting substitute or subbed out of Essendon's games in five of his first six matches this season, however an important showing against Greater Western Sydney in nine when he gathered 20 disposals and a goal kickstarted his consistency.

The former Saint, who crossed to Essendon at the end of 2020, kicked two goals from 25 disposals against Richmond in Dreamtime at the 'G and was again excellent against Gold Coast the following week with 24 disposals and a goal.

T5gR9Bei.jpg

Nick Hind celebrates a goal during the R12 match between Essendon and Gold Coast at People First Stadium on June 2. 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Hind is among the group of Bombers who remain out of contract heading into the back end of the season but his agent Scott Lucas from Phoenix Management Group said discussions hadn't yet picked up to extend into 2025.

"Nick's had a really strong month of football. [He was] a little bit up and down early, we're perhaps not entirely objective as managers but I thought he was a little bit unlucky at times early in the year when he was a sub or subbed out with what he was able to contribute to the team," Lucas told AFL.com.au's draft and trade show Gettable.

"Leg speed is critical and he's got that and can get penetrating in his kicking, so I thought he was a little bit unlucky. If he continues to play the way he has then I'm sure we'll be able to work something out with Essendon but no discussions as such as yet." – Callum Twomey
Another positive about him is that he doesn’t seem to ever get injured.

Another positive about him is that he doesn’t seem to ever get injured.
This is true.

Was looking at a few who we delist posts. considering we have a few perennially injured players, giving contracts for 2025 for a couple of reliable players like Hind, Kelly, Hepp, Lav (now days) is a worthy outcome.
I think we’d all like to see EFC move past needing all of those players but if you have fringe best / back ups, may as well have them able to get on the field.

This is true.

Was looking at a few who we delist posts. considering we have a few perennially injured players, giving contracts for 2025 for a couple of reliable players like Hind, Kelly, Hepp, Lav (now days) is a worthy outcome.
I think we’d all like to see EFC move past needing all of those players but if you have fringe best / back ups, may as well have them able to get on the field.
every team has to have lesser role players, the bottom 6 so to speak.
I think we have been well served by these guys this season even though they all seem to be the first to be blamed on this board after every poor performance.

Playing well offensively but his pressure has dropped a lot. 2 tackles I50 in his past 7 games playing as a flanker is pretty poor.

Something has got to give here.

Playing well offensively but his pressure has dropped a lot. 2 tackles I50 in his past 7 games playing as a flanker is pretty poor.

Something has got to give here.
he's playing out of position. much prefer him in the backline but that's me. i think he's doing fine

he's playing out of position. much prefer him in the backline but that's me. i think he's doing fine
Offensively yes. Defensively no. When we play Wright, Caddy/Jones, Langford and Stringer as forwards we need our smalls to be able to pressure the ball well. Yesterday the only one that was doing that was Guelfi. He keeps playing but he needs to lift.

Looking for Hind to continue his good recent run. No longer in the sub conversation with coach throwing that around the returning and fringe players.

Think there’s an inverse relationship between Hind on field brain farts (touch wood none recently) and his allocation of the sub vest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should be in our best 22 and not the sub. He is one of the only players in our team that has speed and takes the game on.
Based on recent form, absolutely. There quite a few I'd have in the vest before him if they continue to largely play this 23.

And Heppell’s is good? Atleast Hind has a one wood.
One has been playing primarily as a small, pressure forward. The other as a medium defender.

One has been playing primarily as a small, pressure forward. The other as a medium defender.

Heppell doesn’t defend & isn’t a medium defender. Let’s be clear on that, he couldn’t defend his shadow.

Hind’s been sub last two weeks & has been backward of centre when he’s come on, so I reiterate I’d play him ahead of Heppell.

Heppell doesn’t defend & isn’t a medium defender. Let’s be clear on that, he couldn’t defend his shadow.

Hind’s been sub last two weeks & has been backward of centre when he’s come on, so I reiterate I’d play him ahead of Heppell.
Yes. But they've been playing completely different positions. So the comparison is kinda pointless.

Heppell does defend, he’s just lacking leg speed to close space. Different things.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #19: Nick Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back