Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Sam was one of those players outside of the usual suspects that set the tone in how we would go about it last night.

He played with great intensity and the free kicks he gave away were because he was trying to do something.

did some great stuff and did some poor stuff, but he played back and belted his opponent Varcoe. embarrassed him actually. That's job no1 and he did it.

Arch once said to me "not sure mate, I think it's over there"

With those instructions, I found the mens toilet.

At the same function, Scott McMahon high-fived me.

I win.

At the urinal?

I think Sammy, along with Cunners and possibly BMac, could do with a sprint coach through the preseason.....they'll never be quick but they just all need that explosive first few steps.
Dermy, love him or hate him, talked him up this morning on the way, although he got caught, he tried to step back through the traffic and "make" the play happen last night in the 4th. Much better than going into our shells. Will be a player IMO.

Lets be honest - Sam's progress is a bit of a worry. When he first came in under Laidley, he looked like a silky smooth player who lacked size and maybe a touch on the slow side but someone you wanted with the ball in his hands.

Fast forward 4 years and Sam still lacks size, seems even slower, given the way footy is being played these days, and appears to have poor decision making and average skills. Yes he has mongrel, which wasn't apparent so much in his early days, but is that enough to be best 22 in a talented side?

We as a club smashed his confidence to pieces playing him out of form.

We as a club smashed his confidence to pieces playing him out of form.

Plus let's not forget his shoulder injury. He's not a beanpole because he refuses to go in the weight room. I'm just guessing here, but I reckon he just can't bulk up until the shoulder is completely healthy. That could be a problem if it doesn't ever GET healthy. But his skills are great. He's the first guy (along with LT) to defend his teammates in a scrap. And he's brave in the air. I hope he can get his body right.

Wright is a combo of promising and terrible.

I was initially disappointed he was selected but then his performance justified his inclusion. They must have faith a good player is underneath, might just need more time.

Some people on this board... ffs :rolleyes: Wright and Jacobs were two players who came in last night after a season of battling it out in the VFL. And it showed. They were BOTH extremely determined, and played their roles to a tee. We've had very few injuries this year and therefore very few chances for these fringe players to take their shot. Sammy Wright and Ben Jacobs are players with plenty of skill, obviously with some weaknesses that they have been working on at the lower level, and I for one welcome giving them a chance to prove themselves in these last few games, particularly with those matches being against quality sides. They certainly have more upside than a Liam Anthony for example. So far so good, give them chance. Remember how people felt about Hansen earlier in the year? Continuity can do wonders for the confidence, Adams another example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly is the point of this thread?

It's either;

a) Name drop that you've spoken to Arch
b) Have a crack at Sam Wright in his first game back, and in a game where he was far from our worst player
c) all of the above

Either way, pretty poor thread. Expect better from you.

Wrighty had a good game last.
When the game was on the line in the last he was shit.
If you like mediocre players who fail to deliver under pressure then that's fine.
Evidently you're one of those supporters who thinks everything's great when the team wins.
He didn't read the pressure of the game in the last and twice was caught holding the ball in unforgiveable situations. Add to that he doesn't have reliable disposal. Full strength team he's not in our best 22.

I think he is the cream. Put him in a strong side and he will look a million bucks with his smarts and use etc. At the minute we need him to be part of the core, which he is just not suited to at this stage in his career.

What exactly is the point of this thread?

It's either;

a) Name drop that you've spoken to Arch
b) Have a crack at Sam Wright in his first game back, and in a game where he was far from our worst player
c) all of the above

Either way, pretty poor thread. Expect better from you.

Wrighty had a good game last.
Pretty nasty whack there Chad.... Sam Wright has the makings of to be a decent player but is terribly lacking confidence. I dont agree with the notion that his days are numbered so to speak if he doesnt perform the remaining games but its evident Sammy is having some demons so to speak. Season is coming to the end at the right time, he can reload with another preseason and see what offers in 2014.

i was surprised sammy did not go to stevie j who he has a good record on, but he did pretty well on varcoe, cannot say the same for stevie j's opponent, whoever that may have been, i actually dont know who was on him for the majority of the game
Wright on Varcoe is ggod coaching on Brad's behalf.....Varcoe is underdone, Sammy is overdone (so to speak) BS is slowly trying to build sammy back up again.

Pretty nasty whack there Chad.... Sam Wright has the makings of to be a decent player but is terribly lacking confidence. I dont agree with the notion that his days are numbered so to speak if he doesnt perform the remaining games but its evident Sammy is having some demons so to speak. Season is coming to the end at the right time, he can reload with another preseason and see what offers in 2014.
Chad is right. Ridiculously self-indulgent thread.

Chad is right. Ridiculously self-indulgent thread.
was top ten in b and f last year - I think?
way down on form but maybe tried too hard last night. pretty hard to judge him on one game back - like macmillan, needs to be a lot more physical to be a key long term player since not elite in endurance, kicking or speed. Both of them have a long way to go in that area - im sure the coaches are onto it.

When the game was on the line in the last he was shit.
If you like mediocre players who fail to deliver under pressure then that's fine.
Evidently you're one of those supporters who thinks everything's great when the team wins.
He didn't read the pressure of the game in the last and twice was caught holding the ball in unforgiveable situations. Add to that he doesn't have reliable disposal. Full strength team he's not in our best 22.

How about last year when we went to 2 players on the bench vs the scum and we would have lost without him? Stepping up under pressure isn't it?

Its been poor form on the back of playing him consistently with poor form. Its not been a talent or work rate issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back