Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Wright is a liability at the moment. Really costing us.

Not saying he can't play, not saying he should be delisted - clearly has skills. But to play a plodding and slightly soft outsider, then finishing must be his speciality. He isn't, and needs to.

IMO he is very lucky to still be playing in the 1s.

Agree that he needs to fix his finishing off but he is definitely not soft. Never takes his eyes off it.

Agree that he needs to fix his finishing off but he is definitely not soft. Never takes his eyes off it.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh. He certainly doesn't take his eyes off it but sometimes seems very hesitant, especially after copping a knock.

Really, really hurt us this year by not taking the opportunites other players have presented for him. Become my most frustrating player in the team now Anthony is out.

started off playing well but when the pressure was on he went missing. Too many times he has missed crucial goals. He wasn't the only one though, Tarrant had a shocker. Poor decision making, missing set shots also. interesting Brad said they sub him as a tactical move. Surprising considering it was very early in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh. He certainly doesn't take his eyes off it but sometimes seems very hesitant, especially after copping a knock.

Really, really hurt us this year by not taking the opportunites other players have presented for him. Become my most frustrating player in the team now Anthony is out.

so most say "player B" has become my favorite player now "player A" is out, but no we can always rely on some to work the other way and need a player to be disappointed and frustrated with.

says more about you Saintly then it does about Sammy.

so most say "player B" has become my favorite player now "player A" is out, but no we can always rely on some to work the other way and need a player to be disappointed and frustrated with.

No, just the mere fact he has been so wasteful with his chances this year he has been very frustrating. Many other supporters feel the same way from what i've read, as rather than win a few games off his own boot, he has really hurt us.

No, just the mere fact he has been so wasteful with his chances this year he has been very frustrating. Many other supporters feel the same way from what i've read, as rather than win a few games off his own boot, he has really hurt us.

one could think Saintly is in denial, I suppose we will see when Wright turns the corner if Saintly finds another to be most frustrated with.

one could think Saintly is in denial, I suppose we will see when Wright turns the corner if Saintly finds another to be most frustrated with.

Your post makes no sense. Me saying a player has been very frustrating makes me in denial does it? OK, whatever.

dude you are in denial in that you think you don't need some player to be frustrated with, and then vent your frustration continuously. It's times like this I wish Shannon Watt played till he was 60 so all the frustration could be directed at him, instead of a young kid finding his way in the game. but what ever gets you through the day mate.

Dont Worry Saintly, Rooboy is the one in denial.... he thinks all our players are performing very well.....

It would appear that way benbanjo.

I actually thought it was commonly accepted that Wright has been frustrating this year (reckon the player himself would agree), but apparently that is too hard for some to accept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't replying to your post mate, just making a general observation of the love in this thread. anyway stop wasting your efforts on me and get back to bitching how shit we are.

and I'd love to be a kid again and not some old fart.

You mention me in a post yet claim you are not replying... mate you are so far in denial its comical haha....
Listen here you old fart, in your old age you should understand that footy is a cut throat business... if you are not performing you are out..... constructive criticism has its place.... so stop being so defensive and understand that if we were so good we would be higher up on the ladder....

#19 Sam Wright

WRIGHT%20Sam.png

Summary
After finding a settled position in defence for season 2012, Wright's fifth year at the club was marred by inconsistency and a lack of confidence. He played 16 games, missing five matches mid-season after being dropped to the VFL. He won his way back into the side, and impressed late in the season against Essendon, amassing 25 disposals, taking nine marks and kicking a goal. Wright was poor in many games, and on more than a few occasions, he had the chance to nail a goal at a vital stage in the match. He missed each of them, which worked heavily against his confidence on the field.

Wright is still yet to find a settled position on the field, being used in defence, the midfield and up forward all throughout his career. He kicked seven goals for the year, and performed tagging roles at times. 2014 will be an interesting year for Wright, who re-signed with the club for two more years. He is one that needs to lift for North Melbourne to take that next step.

Quote:As North Melbourne prepares to play Hawthorn for the second time this season, Sam Wright says one particular experience will spur him on.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-08-22/w...ver-forget

Quote:North Melbourne has reaffirmed its faith in Sam Wright re-signing the utility to the end of 2015 despite his slow start to this season.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-05-31/w...until-2015

Sam+Wright+AFL+Rd+19+North+Melbourne+v+Geelong+nyZDvdGAHgPl.jpg

300158-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

301830_gp.jpg

350x.jpg

Crossroads .

He's got all the tricks Wrighty when he's on song, but he seems like a dour player these days.

I've always rated him but at this point in his career he is behind where I thought he would be.

He responded fairly well after being omitted, so there's still a bit to work with but if he can't nail a spot, he might be looking at a lot of suburban footy grounds next year.

I wonder where his natural position is.

I wonder whether we would be better playing him there.
Looked a natural forward flank to me when he was drafted.

Good overhead, exceptionally good off either side, had a bit of the mercurial about him & could slot a goal.

I understood when he was sent down back as what I thought an education process and I was a little surprised when he stayed there. I always thought pace was against him and for that reason wasn't really a wingman or backflank. A slower guy with a good footy brain , slighty freakish and good skills can still be an effective forward, but the preference is still pace.

Come to think of it's the probable reason he hasn't nailed a position.

Don't know why this guys got so many haters got tricks just needs to regularly use them his disappearing tricks unfortunately are his best

A lack of confidence was Sam's downfall this year. Those missed goals that he would have nailed in 2012 would have been playing on his mind a lot. Is thrown around a lot but maybe Brad's developing him as a utility like Goddard (only a skinnier version :p). Was okay in his last few games and hopefully he has a huge pre-season and comes out firing round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back