1977 VFA Grand Final Yarraville vs Mordialloc

Remove this Banner Ad

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out.
I went to this GF at Toorak Park in 1977, and had the VFA Recorder (I think that was its name) from the game, but seemed to have lost it.
The Yarraville side was captain-coached by David Thorpe and featured George Bissett, Kevin Sait, Grant Simmons, and I'm sure there were other ex-Footscray and other clubs' ex-VFL players.
If anyone has a copy, or at least the team lists, and could either post them on here or PM me with a scan of the relevant pages, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ivan

Ivan , I can't help you out - but I was their too !

Brings back some great memories - apart from the result of the game !

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out.
I went to this GF at Toorak Park in 1977, and had the VFA Recorder (I think that was its name) from the game, but seemed to have lost it.
The Yarraville side was captain-coached by David Thorpe and featured George Bissett, Kevin Sait, Grant Simmons, and I'm sure there were other ex-Footscray and other clubs' ex-VFL players.
If anyone has a copy, or at least the team lists, and could either post them on here or PM me with a scan of the relevant pages, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ivan
Leave it with me, if my mate doesn't have it, or have a way of getting it then I don't know who would.

Was Fotheringham FF for them that year? They were pretty cool with all those Dogs players and he was a gun FF

Yes, I think he was, I was just struggling to remember exactly who played since I lost my copy. Terry Wilkins and Graeme Austin finished high in the JJ Liston that year in Div 1 too (both ex-Footscray). I can never remember if Wilins or Ian Wickson is Doug Hawkins cousin, but I'm sure one of them is.

There should be copies of the 1977 VFA Recorders in the State Library

Thanks blizzrd, unfortunately I currently live in Ballarat and commute to Melb CBD for work, but am not in Melb any other time when I could access their resources, maybe over summer. Thanks for the tip.

I'd barrack for Mordialloc considering it's my home town. :cool:

Sorry Ant_, I was there with a large Footscray contingent of supporters - all barracking for Yarraville! I had family in Yarraville, some of whom played under-age and senior footy at the club, and many of the ex-Footscray players (Thorpe, Bissett) were originally from the Footscray area as well. I can't remember if there were any ex-VFL players in the Mordi team, although in those days was fairly common for them to finish their careers in the VFA.

Sorry Ant_, I was there with a large Footscray contingent of supporters - all barracking for Yarraville! I had family in Yarraville, some of whom played under-age and senior footy at the club, and many of the ex-Footscray players (Thorpe, Bissett) were originally from the Footscray area as well. I can't remember if there were any ex-VFL players in the Mordi team, although in those days was fairly common for them to finish their careers in the VFA.

I was born late '77 so I doubt I was even alive when this game was on :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_VFA_season

1977 VFA Division 2 Grand Final, Sunday, 11 September
Toorak Park (Crowd: 7,300)

Yarraville def. by Mordialloc
5.2 (32) Q1 5.5 (35)
10.6 (66) Q2 10.11 (71)
11.9 (75) Q3 12.14 (86)
14.11 (95) Final 19.19 (133)

Yarraville: Gibson 4, Bisset 3, Grandin 3, Wellington 2, Lowe, Sait
Mordialloc: Neville 8, Deaton 4, Norris 2, Scott 2, Bloomfield, Guy, Johnston

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_VFA_season

1977 VFA Division 2 Grand Final, Sunday, 11 September
Toorak Park (Crowd: 7,300)

Yarraville def. by Mordialloc
5.2 (32) Q1 5.5 (35)
10.6 (66) Q2 10.11 (71)
11.9 (75) Q3 12.14 (86)
14.11 (95) Final 19.19 (133)

Yarraville: Gibson 4, Bisset 3, Grandin 3, Wellington 2, Lowe, Sait
Mordialloc: Neville 8, Deaton 4, Norris 2, Scott 2, Bloomfield, Guy, Johnston

Thanks, I did see that entry, but being a hoarder of footy history and facts, I went hunting for the actual complete team lists, as my memory ain't what it used to be! Was Wellington the ex-Essendon Pat Wellington, I can't remember?

I was there as a young fella and it was so packed I thought there must have been 20 thousand there ...... but obviously the ground could only hold about 7500. A staunch Yarraville supporter and that side had many great FDL players like Barry Priest and Andrew Gibson playing for the Eagles.

Does anyone remember a ruckman nick named The Frog who played for Yarraville around that time, 6'8" and built like a brick shit house

Yes, I think he was, I was just struggling to remember exactly who played since I lost my copy. Terry Wilkins and Graeme Austin finished high in the JJ Liston that year in Div 1 too (both ex-Footscray). I can never remember if Wilins or Ian Wickson is Doug Hawkins cousin, but I'm sure one of them is.
Hawk is not related to the Wicksons, I can guarantee you that

Does anyone remember a ruckman nick named The Frog who played for Yarraville around that time, 6'8" and built like a brick shit house

I'm sure he played in that GF in 77, as the nickname rang a bell. My cousin tells me his name was Bruce Riches, and he was the biggest VFA player in history (height and size) apparently.

The 'Frog' was indeed enormous, had not seen him for years, then in the late 80's was having a beer in summer down the BHP (barwon heads pub), with a heap of blokes from round Footscray, when suddenly the sun disappeared, and the two biggest paws i have ever seen reached over and cleared the table of empty pots with one huge swipe. I turned around to see the'Frog' looking fit as a fiddle and working as a bouncer. Reckon he played for Ocean Grove down there after he left the VFA, bloke i knew played in a Bellarine combined side with him as his rover, he reckons first ball up of the day Frog spiked the ball straight into his sternum, stopped him dead in his tracks and reckons he had to have the Sherrin surgically removed.

Was Fotheringham FF for them that year? They were pretty cool with all those Dogs players and he was a gun FF

Yarraville's FF for most of that year was Brian Grandin - who was leased from Port Melbourne. Brian kicked a 100 goals for Port Seconds, but couldn't get a game at Port because of the champ Freddie Cook. He kicked plenty of goals for the eagles and later went to play in Canberra to play with Ainslie with Kevin Cowboy Neale.

Remove this Banner Ad

1977 VFA Grand Final Yarraville vs Mordialloc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back