Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

I know. Should I get rid of it Kimba Curator? I've minimised the offense but can delete.
I once had an African American neighbour who collected racist Jim Crow era kitsch and examples of racist packaging. His collection rendered it all ridiculous and robbed it of the power to harm, when viewed within the context of his home. I feel the same way about the album cover. The RZSS is a robust place and you are an ideological superstar Pammy, so it is not like you are going to cause offence.

Same, it was the music not the topic.
A friend just sent me this, enjoy!

The fact that 70 000 000 Americans will vote for this mendacious stain on humanity upsets me more than I can express.

I once had an African American neighbour who collected racist Jim Crow era kitsch and examples of racist packaging. His collection rendered it all ridiculous and robbed it of the power to harm, when viewed within the context of his home. I feel the same way about the album cover. The RZSS is a robust place and you are an ideological superstar Pammy, so it is not like you are going to cause offence.
Ta. Ok that's sorted then and I don't have to do the essay on that particular cover, I have another one that I have for illustrating my points of the era. The point of a transitioning from a banal and brutal supression, to more of an acceptance of difference of aesthetics and cultural diversity as we moved through from the mid to late 70's when punk/alternative became as influential in the charts as pop and how that's reflected in the compilation fare at hand.
Well that's my idea if I get to expound on it...or I get swallowed up in what comes my way today. On vera.
I did a good job of staking out some time yesterday to do the #@$^ I want and not what others want of me.
Playing Hooky?...nah...concentrating on the important stuff here.
It's a know your product situation.........

It's a lovely morning over here. The youngest is getting ready for work and has put this (vinyl) album on - and the satisfaction I feel of parenting done right is enormous.

Have a wonderful day folks!

It's a lovely morning over here. The youngest is getting ready for work and has put this (vinyl) album on - and the satisfaction I feel of parenting done right is enormous.

Have a wonderful day folks!

“Someone fetch a priest!”

This EMI compilation release is pivotal.
The track list shows the massive divergence within the Pop'o' sphere that was then happening. Of course it was starting a lot earlier than 77. The list has already released tracks that EMI obviously got their hands on in a publishing deal, then puts them to work padding out a compilation album trying to please all sectors of the market. Can you get anything more obtusely diverse than 2 x Mark Holden tracks, the Bay City Rollers and ACDC or the Saints. Doubtful that it's possible to top that.
And the album name and cover art.
Will you be devestated on buying this, that you hate and are not going to play half the tracks. What's the idea behind this name. That the marketing execs went the full turkey on nihlism, revealed their sneering disdain for the punter or maybe thought it kind of sounded 'punk' and they're with it, they get it, yeh tear down the walls, release the mozzies!
Don't cha just wonder what 'Daddy's Little Girl' listeners thought of the cover. OOOO radical.
Top shelf stick it up the parents type of statement and the Chuch won't be happy about that pagan 'Horoscope' track either, they're not blind and the 'Hey St Peter' track aint enough of a Hail Mary to save you.
But persist dear schizoid listener, it's A Long Way There but eventually you'll get to Stranded just before you spin out wondering what the $#@% were they thinking with this mix.

IMG_9119.jpeg IMG_9120.jpeg

Last edited:
This EMI compilation release is pivotal.
The track list shows the massive divergence within the Pop'o' sphere that was then happening. Of course it was starting a lot earlier than 77. The list has already released tracks that EMI obviously got their hands on in a publishing deal, then puts them to work padding out a compilation album trying to please all sectors of the market. Can you get anything more obtusely diverse than 2 x Mark Holden tracks, the Bay City Rollers and ACDC or the Saints. Doubtful that it's possible to top that.
And the album name and cover art.
Will you be devestated on buying this that you hate and are not going to play half the tracks. What's the idea behind this name. That the marketing execs went the full turkey on nihlism, revealed their sneering disdain for the punter or maybe thought it kind of sounded 'punk' and they're with it, they get it, yeh tear down the walls, release the mozzies!
Don't cha just wonder what 'Daddy's Little Girl' listeners thought of the cover. OOOO radical.
Top shelf stick it up the parents type of statement and the Chuch won't be happy about that pagan 'Horoscope' track either, they're not blind and the 'Hey St Peter' track aint enough of a Hail Mary to save you.
But persist dear schizoid listener, it's A Long Way There but eventually you'll get to Stranded just before you spin out wondering what the $#@% were they thinking with this mix.

View attachment 2078012View attachment 2078013

Nothing "Devastating" about A Fifth of Beethoven.

Beethoven's Fifth though.........

Yeah, that was just about the most messed up mix you could imagine. The name and album art are the absolute worst thing about this release.

1723534558023.jpeg
The Devastator - two tracks for Mark Holden would have left many music fans devastated.

The rest, if you exclude The Saints, was fairly standard fare. Might possibly have been saved if they dipped into the archive and included this “hit”

"We are through cogitating, we're through meditating, we have given up infiltrating and now we're gonna start devastating and eliminating." - The Groovy Guru.

Last edited:
Why have I not known about this thread until right now, let's get this party started again in here.

Come At Me Big Bird GIF by MOODMAN

Why have I not known about this thread until right now, let's get this party started again in here.

Come At Me Big Bird GIF by MOODMAN
WHY?
Because you only know when you are ready to know.
And now that you know, welcome to the fireside of the RZSS.

Knowing that you are a huge Springsteen fan here is a song for you, released in 1973 and we are on page 73 'how spooky' as Dame Edna would say.

PS. This is a Simperson Gif free zone so please don't post any.

In Sept 1973 Brian Eno recorded his first solo album 'Here Come The Warm Jets' released in Feb 1974.
The first salvo in a career that stretched sonic boundaries and applied a situationist* methodology to recording.

Warmjetsvinyl.jpg

"Here Come the Warm Jets was recorded in twelve days at Majestic Studios in London during September 1973 by recording engineer Derek Chandler.[7][8] It was mixed at Air and Olympic Studios by Eno and engineer Chris Thomas.[8]

Eno enlisted sixteen guest musicians to play on the album, who were invited on the basis that Eno thought they were musically incompatible with each other.[7] He said he "got them together merely because I wanted to see what happens when you combine different identities like that and allow them to compete ... [The situation] is organized with the knowledge that there might be accidents, accidents which will be more interesting than what I had intended".[7]

The songs on Here Come the Warm Jets reference various musical styles from the past and present. The overall style of the album has been described as "glammed-up art-pop", showcasing glam rock's simple yet theatrical crunchy guitar rock and art pop's sonic texture and avant-garde influences.[4] The album has been also described as art rock.[14][15] On some tracks, Eno's vocals emulate singer Bryan Ferry, of Eno's former band Roxy Music.[7][16] On other songs they were described as "more nasal and slightly snotty vocals".

Eno directed the musicians by using body language and dancing, as well as through verbal suggestion, to influence their playing and the sounds they would emit. He felt at the time that this was a good way to communicate with musicians.[12] The album credits Eno with instruments such as "snake guitar", "simplistic piano" and "electric larynx". These terms were used to describe the sound's character or the means of production used to treat the instruments.[7] After recording the individual tracks, Eno condensed and mixed the instrumentation deeply, resulting in some of the tracks bearing little resemblance to what the musicians recorded during the session." Ref; Wiki

The above song was re-recorded on 801 Live which is how I came to know it.
Circa 1982 the 801 Live album was on high rotation in the House of Pamcake.

Released in Australia 1978

s-l140.jpg

"801 were an English experimental rock supergroup band, originally formed in London in 1976 for three live concerts by Phil Manzanera (guitars, ex-Roxy Music, Quiet Sun), Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, vocals and tapes, ex-Roxy Music), Bill MacCormick (bass and vocals, ex-Quiet Sun, Matching Mole), Francis Monkman (Fender Rhodes piano and clavinet, ex-Curved Air), Simon Phillips (drums and rhythm generator, later in Judas Priest ) and Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar and vocals).[1]

In 1976, while Roxy Music had temporarily disbanded, 801 (also referred to as The 801) got together as a temporary project,[1] and began rehearsing at Island Studios, Hammersmith, about three weeks before their first gig. The name of the band was taken from the Eno song "The True Wheel", which appears on his 1974 solo album Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy).[1] The refrain of the song — "We are the 801, we are the central shaft"[1] — reportedly came to him in a dream (although it has also been noted that "Eight Nought One" acrostically spells his name)."

"801 Live became a significant cult success in many countries, notably in Australia, where it was heavily promoted by the ABC's new 24-hour rock station Double Jay." Ref; Wiki

*Situationist International.
"The Situationist International was an international organization of social revolutionaries made up of avant-garde artists, intellectuals, and political theorists. It was prominent in Europe from its formation in 1957 to its dissolution in 1972."

"The situationists believed that the shift from individual expression through directly lived experiences, or the first-hand fulfillment of authentic desires, to individual expression by proxy through the exchange or consumption of commodities, or passive second-hand alienation, inflicted significant and far-reaching ..." Ref; Wiki

This movement is behind the 1968 Student uprising in Paris France.
There is a contemporary resurgence of interest in the ideology of the 'Situationists' as applied to current political thought.

In Sept 1973 Brian Eno recorded his first solo album 'Here Come The Warm Jets' released in Feb 1974.
The first salvo in a career that stretched sonic boundaries and applied a situationist* methodology to recording.

View attachment 2078679

"Here Come the Warm Jets was recorded in twelve days at Majestic Studios in London during September 1973 by recording engineer Derek Chandler.[7][8] It was mixed at Air and Olympic Studios by Eno and engineer Chris Thomas.[8]

Eno enlisted sixteen guest musicians to play on the album, who were invited on the basis that Eno thought they were musically incompatible with each other.[7] He said he "got them together merely because I wanted to see what happens when you combine different identities like that and allow them to compete ... [The situation] is organized with the knowledge that there might be accidents, accidents which will be more interesting than what I had intended".[7]

The songs on Here Come the Warm Jets reference various musical styles from the past and present. The overall style of the album has been described as "glammed-up art-pop", showcasing glam rock's simple yet theatrical crunchy guitar rock and art pop's sonic texture and avant-garde influences.[4] The album has been also described as art rock.[14][15] On some tracks, Eno's vocals emulate singer Bryan Ferry, of Eno's former band Roxy Music.[7][16] On other songs they were described as "more nasal and slightly snotty vocals".

Eno directed the musicians by using body language and dancing, as well as through verbal suggestion, to influence their playing and the sounds they would emit. He felt at the time that this was a good way to communicate with musicians.[12] The album credits Eno with instruments such as "snake guitar", "simplistic piano" and "electric larynx". These terms were used to describe the sound's character or the means of production used to treat the instruments.[7] After recording the individual tracks, Eno condensed and mixed the instrumentation deeply, resulting in some of the tracks bearing little resemblance to what the musicians recorded during the session." Ref; Wiki

The above song was re-recorded on 801 Live which is how I came to know it.
Circa 1982 the 801 Live album was on high rotation in the House of Pamcake.

Released in Australia 1978

View attachment 2078680

"801 were an English experimental rock supergroup band, originally formed in London in 1976 for three live concerts by Phil Manzanera (guitars, ex-Roxy Music, Quiet Sun), Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, vocals and tapes, ex-Roxy Music), Bill MacCormick (bass and vocals, ex-Quiet Sun, Matching Mole), Francis Monkman (Fender Rhodes piano and clavinet, ex-Curved Air), Simon Phillips (drums and rhythm generator, later in Judas Priest ) and Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar and vocals).[1]

In 1976, while Roxy Music had temporarily disbanded, 801 (also referred to as The 801) got together as a temporary project,[1] and began rehearsing at Island Studios, Hammersmith, about three weeks before their first gig. The name of the band was taken from the Eno song "The True Wheel", which appears on his 1974 solo album Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy).[1] The refrain of the song — "We are the 801, we are the central shaft"[1] — reportedly came to him in a dream (although it has also been noted that "Eight Nought One" acrostically spells his name)."

"801 Live became a significant cult success in many countries, notably in Australia, where it was heavily promoted by the ABC's new 24-hour rock station Double Jay." Ref; Wiki

*Situationist International.
"The Situationist International was an international organization of social revolutionaries made up of avant-garde artists, intellectuals, and political theorists. It was prominent in Europe from its formation in 1957 to its dissolution in 1972."

"The situationists believed that the shift from individual expression through directly lived experiences, or the first-hand fulfillment of authentic desires, to individual expression by proxy through the exchange or consumption of commodities, or passive second-hand alienation, inflicted significant and far-reaching ..." Ref; Wiki

This movement is behind the 1968 Student uprising in Paris France.
There is a contemporary resurgence of interest in the ideology of the 'Situationists' as applied to current political thought.

I have both of these albums and play them regularly. They are excellent. I reckon the first Mrs m had 801 Live from a previous relationship which is how I found out about it. Manzanera is great on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This interview is so much better than Leigh Sales's cool posturing. FYI the interviewer experienced family tragedy at the age of 10 so he gets what that means and it shows in his interview.
Also Cave's hair...I confess to starting to be quite obsessed with the dyed bouffantish helmet it's becoming. It's a problem when the 'hair style' becomes a glaring point of difference with the face.
Like when Murdoch met Deng and she persuaded him to dye his hair.
My advice to Nick would be start investing in a professional doing the dyeing and transition a little more smoothly into your 70's bc a silver haired Cave would be better than this 'aspic styling'.
I find it so interesting that no one can see the trees from the forest at times...(me too).

Last edited:
Jinx! I had this copied, ready to paste before I saw yours.

Recorded in May 1967 and held over for release until Jan 1969. A psychedelic masterpiece.

A very interesting life.
Admirable character and perserverance.
Kudos.

“The invention of ways to increase human longevity is the world’s second-oldest profession, or maybe even the first,” he told the medical journal The Lancet in 2011. “Individuals are going to the bank at this moment with enormous sums of money gained by persuading people that they’ve found either a way to extend your life or to make you immortal.”

A very interesting life.
Admirable character and perserverance.
Kudos.

“The invention of ways to increase human longevity is the world’s second-oldest profession, or maybe even the first,” he told the medical journal The Lancet in 2011. “Individuals are going to the bank at this moment with enormous sums of money gained by persuading people that they’ve found either a way to extend your life or to make you immortal.”

Fascinating. Thank you Pammy!

Domestic Saga Files:
My new reconditioned washing machine comes today Moginie. Unfortunately the motherboard fix of Dr Colin's, while working showed that the fault was elsewhere in the electrics and not worth fixing. I got 15 years good service out of it which is a pretty good record. I'm sure this next one will be a peach as I trust Dr Colin, he is only charging me 150 for what will be 3 visits, delivery of new beasty and extraction of broken beasty. I have made cake to give him with his coffee as a thank you.
Looking forward to the day of wrangling my washing.

I just had a flash while writing this, of the ancient communal laundries in France called Lavoirs, the ones I have seen are always situated in the most beautiful settings.
You can read more here:

There are a whole lot of extant adages and proverbs attached to Lavoirs, as to quote the above article:
"Men were banned from the lavoirs and the women of the village would meet, put the world to rights, sing and of course, air one’s dirty laundry- the opposite to what Napoleon advised in 1815: “Il faut laver son linge sale en famille“."
(Napoleon the patriarchal dictator of control and repression.)

It should go without saying but so many are unaware or would rather ignore the history of the fact that France has always been closer to a matriarchal society model, despite the overlay of catholisism, the lavoir was but one of the seats of feminine governance.

Domestic Saga Files:
My new reconditioned washing machine comes today Moginie. Unfortunately the motherboard fix of Dr Colin's, while working showed that the fault was elsewhere in the electrics and not worth fixing. I got 15 years good service out of it which is a pretty good record. I'm sure this next one will be a peach as I trust Dr Colin, he is only charging me 150 for what will be 3 visits, delivery of new beasty and extraction of broken beasty. I have made cake to give him with his coffee as a thank you.
Looking forward to the day of wrangling my washing.

I just had a flash while writing this, of the ancient communal laundries in France called Lavoirs, the ones I have seen are always situated in the most beautiful settings.
You can read more here:

There are a whole lot of extant adages and proverbs attached to Lavoirs, as to quote the above article:
"Men were banned from the lavoirs and the women of the village would meet, put the world to rights, sing and of course, air one’s dirty laundry- the opposite to what Napoleon advised in 1815: “Il faut laver son linge sale en famille“."
(Napoleon the patriarchal dictator of control and repression.)

It should go without saying but so many are unaware or would rather ignore the history of the fact that France has always been closer to a matriarchal society model, despite the overlay of catholisism, the lavoir was but one of the seats of feminine governance.
Ah, knowledge is a wonderful thing. Thanks for posting and I hope your new reconditioned washing machine gives you many hours of joy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back