19th draft pick, who would you like to see us pick up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buuuuudy

Rookie
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Presuming the Hawks hang on to their 19th draft pick, who would you like to see us pick up?

The following are a few players I have seen glimpses of and am pretty impressed. I understand there is a few in the list which will be picked up before 19 but you never know come draft day.

Matt Watson
Brodie Smith
Jared Polec
Jayden Pitt
Billie Smedts
Kieran Harper
Jed Lamb

Watson will not be available with Carlton ahead of us, and GC will want some cover for Bock.

There's 2 more KPD's in the top 25 picks though that could make almost immediate impacts that I think we'll go after.

But yeah, I'd like to see either KPD (watson hopefully), quick outside (Polec) or a kid with great endurance (which I think with Bateman getting on, we severely lack a "run all day" type player).

Watson could slip to us at 19. Key defender that can use the ball. Plays like Brian Lake now, so he could be anything. Strong mark and good rebounder (lefty i think?). Capable of an immediate impact much like Michael Hurley.

Polec won't slip to us, but i would give up just about anything to get him. If Gold Coast parted with pick #9 or #11 for someone like Brad Sewell who would be perfect for them we could pick up this kid. Is a tall mid with plenty of speed that can use the ball well. Some liken him to Goddard.

This probably won't happen, but we in desperate need for youth and this two would put us in good stead over the years to come.

Watson could slip to us at 19. Key defender that can use the ball. Plays like Brian Lake now, so he could be anything. Strong mark and good rebounder (lefty i think?). Capable of an immediate impact much like Michael Hurley.

Polec won't slip to us, but i would give up just about anything to get him. If Gold Coast parted with pick #9 or #11 for someone like Brad Sewell who would be perfect for them we could pick up this kid. Is a tall mid with plenty of speed that can use the ball well. Some liken him to Goddard.

This probably won't happen, but we in desperate need for youth and this two would put us in good stead over the years to come.

Totally agree. I reckon we should have been working on packaging some tough players that GC will need with some later picks to try and snare a GC first rounder.

Unfortunately, we've all but lost our compo pick which may have got the deal done if packaged with someone...

Yeah Polec will barely get to pick 11 as it is. I think Carlton will take Watson (or we can hope they just draft another midfielder) if he slips to them.

Presuming the Hawks hang on to their 19th draft pick, who would you like to see us pick up?

The following are a few players I have seen glimpses of and am pretty impressed. I understand there is a few in the list which will be picked up before 19 but you never know come draft day.

Matt Watson
Brodie Smith
Jared Polec
Jayden Pitt
Billie Smedts
Kieran Harper
Jed Lamb

As you say you never know what happens come draft day.
Who would have thought we would have let Nathan Vardy go sailing past our first pick last year when the so called experts rated him as clearly the best ruckman in the draft and a certainty to go inside the top 30 at very worst?

Of the above names I persoanlly think that only Watson is a chance of slipping to us at pick 19.
I think that many clubs will be scared away by Watsons enormous size at such a young age and may decide that the slighter built Seb Tape and Pat Mccarthy are better prospects.

Happy days if Polec was still there at 19 but highly unlikely.

This is a compilation of posts i have made around the place:

These are the players i would like at our club, in no particular order:

* Isaac Smith- 21 yr old hff for North Ballarat. 190cm.

· Joel Wilkinson- 18yr old onballer who played for Qld in this years championships. 183cm. Tested very well at the draft camp.

· David Kruse- 18 yr old running defender/utility from the NT. 190cm, 74kg. I really like this guy, saw him play a bit during the champsionships- is a close checking defender, but can run off with pace. Could see him play like a corey, or enright, or goddard in terms having size and athletic capabilities. Kevin sheahan says “David is a dashing tall defender with terrific run and carry from the back 50. He can play tall or small or push into the midfield.”

· Alex Johnson- tall defender/forward, Captain of the Oakleigh Chargers. 193cm, 82kg. I really like this guy also, here’s what Kevin Sheahan says “Alex is a tall defender/forward with an outstanding work rate and competitive edge. He provides excellent defensive pressure when playing forward.”

· Matthew Watson- 18 yr old tall defender from the calder cannons. 195cm, 98kg. All australian selection this year. Rebounding left footer, good composure. Natural backman. Enough said, everyone knows the kid is a good prospect.

· Viv Michie- 18 yr old hbf/hff from the Oakleigh Chargers. 185cm, 77kg. A few people know how highly i rate this guy... and i can say he has impressed at least 6 clubs at the draft camp. Very agile player who can just... how do i say it? He can just play footy... pure and simple. Great goal sense, high half forward, but could easily go through the midfield or play off a half back flank...

· Dyson Heppell- 18yr old defender/onballer from Gippsland Power. 187cm, 79kg. Picked up 40 touches in the TAC cup prelim against Oakleigh. Doubt he’ll be around for us, his coach reckons he’s worth a top 3 selection... Would love this guy being in hawthorn colours.

* Jed Lamb- 18yr old small forward from Gippsland Power. 181cm, 78kg. Won the kicking efficiency test at the draft combine- 97%.

* Reese Conca- 18yr old small forward from perth. 182cm, 76kg. Kevin Sheahan says "Versatile player who can play forward, midfield or back. His ability to run and carry and his football smarts were prominent in representing WA at the Under-18 Championships this year. Averaged 18 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency."

* Josh Caddy- 18 yr old midfielder from Northern Knights. 186cm, 81kg. Great player. Inside or outside. Natural ball winner. Won the new handballing test at the draft combine.

* Tom Lynch- 18yr old kpp from the Dandenong Stingrays. 196cm, 90kg. Hard working player and pretty versatile- could be a mobile ruck option as the game changes with the new interchange rules. Speculative.

*Jared Polec-18yr old midfield/wingman from SA. 188cm, 77kg. Left footer who won all australian honors this year.

Who do we take? Who falls to us? it's all dependent on clubs needs really once the trade week finishes. If we, somehow landed a backmen- id be looking at one of the mids or flankers who can go through the mid... if we landed josh hill- then id be looking at the really quick tall utilities who can play like midfielders but float upforward or down back...

What do we know? Someone will fall to us, so if we got any of the names above- id be pretty excited.

Jed Lamb is one player I think we will have a chance of taking

He is a small forward who can also play outside mid.

He had the most efficient kick in the draft camp

Is very quick

He knows where the goals are

I know we need a Key backman but we also need pace and a small forward now Hooper is gone and Osborne is getting on.

Jed Lamb could well be the Didak type we need!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't think he tested in the top 25, this could be a good thing :D

And yeh, watson hands down he will be a star.

Yeah, and Mitch Thorp was gonna be a star too. No big player is hands down gonna be a star. Some mids yes, maybe an exception for Kruzer, but I wouldnt say hands down to any KPP becoming an AFL star. Its easy for a big kid like Watson to beat up on skinny kids in the TAC. I'm not saying he wont be a star, and if he makes it to us I hope he is, its just not a certainty.

Take Jack Watts, number one pick, KPP, jury still out on the star factor,

Jed Lamb is one player I think we will have a chance of taking

He is a small forward who can also play outside mid.

He had the most efficient kick in the draft camp

Is very quick

He knows where the goals are

I know we need a Key backman but we also need pace and a small forward now Hooper is gone and Osborne is getting on.

Jed Lamb could well be the Didak type we need!

I agree, I'd like this kid. Everything I hear about him sounds positive.

There are 3 players I would consider who could be around at 19.

Keiran Harper
Billie Smedts
Cameron Guthrie

At least one of these will be available at 19. They are all midfield/HBF/HFF and excellent athletes. Others such as Jed Lamb and Vic Minchie should be looked at too. Matthew Watson is Lisle like and will be available in may opinion. Just not my cup of tea. Tall player to consider is Luke Mitchell from Calder.

I don't think I can even comment until the end of this week. I know we are apparently 'locked' for the Hale / Hill trades (according to rumour & speculation) but to my knowledge, neither club nor player has signed anything.

As far as my opinion goes, we require exactly what we did this time last week: A KPD.

A Ruckman would be nice, especially a mobile one, but IMO the KPD is far more important / urgent.

If we don't bundle Pick 19 into a deal to get a good KPD, then I would like to do as some suggest & Trade a Player + 19 for a lower pick.

There are 3 players I would consider who could be around at 19.

Keiran Harper
Billie Smedts
Cameron Guthrie

At least one of these will be available at 19. They are all midfield/HBF/HFF and excellent athletes. Others such as Jed Lamb and Vic Minchie should be looked at too. Matthew Watson is Lisle like and will be available in may opinion. Just not my cup of tea. Tall player to consider is Luke Mitchell from Calder.

Yeah Keiren Harper is ment to be a beauty. Silky skills

Slightly offf topic but why in the world did we not look at that FAULKS fella that freo picked up for peanuts from the GC.

He is supposedly a ready made KPD that is very good in all areas.

We could have snared him with a 3rd/4th rounder and still got HALE/HILL and kept our 1st rounder and 2nd rounder for an outside mid.

Seems strange we didn't even know about him when that is the one area we were lacking.

Slightly offf topic but why in the world did we not look at that FAULKS fella that freo picked up for peanuts from the GC.

He is supposedly a ready made KPD that is very good in all areas.

We could have snared him with a 3rd/4th rounder and still got HALE/HILL and kept our 1st rounder and 2nd rounder for an outside mid.

Seems strange we didn't even know about him when that is the one area we were lacking.

Totaly agree mate makes you wonder doesn't it

Totaly agree mate makes you wonder doesn't it

Not really.

Faulks hasn't proven that he can play at AFL level. Sydney delisted him a few years ago because they felt he was unable to.

Freo are taking a punt on a good VFL player. Good luck to them.

100% agree. Posted it in another thread. ~195cm, fast closing speed, supposedly not beaten at FB this year. We should have been all over this guy. Freo really have nailed this area of recruiting of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

19th draft pick, who would you like to see us pick up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back