19th Man Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Only thought guernsey because of the concept of being "the 19th man" and retiring the number 19 guernsey so it would go along with the symbolism of the whole concept. Clearly too expensive but I'd be much more likely to wear a guernsey with the 19 on it than a t-shirt.

Yeah you’re possibly right; i doubt i would wear a t shirt but would wear a guernsey.

While it would be expensive and therefore pretty much not going to happern - what if the club sent all members a guernsey with the number 19 on it. If they say all members are the "19th man" and therefore they are retiring the No 19 guernsey then imagine 40000 people at the ground with the number 19 on their back.

In the Pride magazine, if you buy a guernsey, they can put 19 on the back for free (you save a WHOLE $8 or whatever it costs for a number)
But I don't want a 19 guernsey - I want a guernsey with an actual player's number on the back.
They're giving out 10,000 19 flags at the game on Friday night though.

When the opposition go to kick a crucial goal... everyone behind the goals chucks a browneye at him... the player wouldn't expect it and it would be hard to arrest everyone..

If people can make other people do the mexican wave ...I am sure there are plenty of people who would join in? and it would be a funny spectacle especially on tv

If people can make other people do the mexican wave ...I am sure there are plenty of people who would join in? and it would be a funny spectacle especially on tv

I'm not a fan of the wave at the footy, but shit that would be offputting as you kick for goal. Seeing the wave pass by as you go to kick it. Especially if you use the focusing on a spot in the crowd technique of goalkicking. Your eyes would be drawn to follow the wave.

I guess we really need to find a way to keep the crowd interested for 100% of the game, not just at the end if its close or when we score a goal.

I just can't work it out because most supporters are too busy watching to make noise.

I think this is the key issue. The best way to combat this is to begin a tradition of chants or waves etc. during specific periods (e.g. kick in after a point, the start of a quarter, the start of a games, when a player is kicking for goal). With that in mind, I’ve come up with a few ‘instance specific’ things the crowd could be encouraged to do:
Kick in after a point – This is a high pressure period, particularly with the new zones situation. Noise is the key –and yeah, why not make it something like arrrrghhhh – w***er, it’s the arrrrrgh bit that is the key, that is where the pressure is coming from.
When a player is kicking for goal – Everyone behind the goal should stand and waves stuff, and again some kind of pressure chant should be yelled. The club should load up season ticket holders behind the goals with all types of things to wave to put off the kicker. Perhaps like this:
footfansPA0705_468x310.jpg

Here's a list of some other sporting traditions from around the world. I particularly like the fact that the Yankees play New York, New York by Sinatra after a win and Liza Minelli's version after a loss. Perhaps there is some inspiration among this lot.

http://ask.metafilter.com/17300/Sports-Fan-Traditions

The Mexican wave is only good to fill in time when its boring. It distracts me from the footy while watching it go around the field.

But then the coach complains that your not respecting Nigel Lappin :thumbsdown:

(Bris vs Syd ANZ Stadium when Lappin broke his ankle)

When a player is kicking for goal – Everyone behind the goal should stand and waves stuff, and again some kind of pressure chant should be yelled. The club should load up season ticket holders behind the goals with all types of things to wave to put off the kicker. Perhaps like this:

Sing "Score in a brothel, you couldn't score in a brothel!"

Whenever Stuart Dew (or someone of similar build) gets his hands on the ball "Who ate all the pies? Who ate all the pies? You fat bastard, You fat bastard, You ate all the pies!"

Hopefully with the club handing out the 10,000 No. 19 flags, people who get them actually take them to each game and use them.

lol

thats no problem at all- ever looked around the ground- theres 30 000 of them!

anyone that ever goes with me who isnt a regular usually goes "whoa, look at all the flags!"

lol

thats no problem at all- ever looked around the ground- theres 30 000 of them!

anyone that ever goes with me who isnt a regular usually goes "whoa, look at all the flags!"

I always take my flag :D. I don't know what to do when we kick a goal or run out if I don't have it with me. I'm gonna try and get their early on Friday night to score me one of the 19 flags though :thumbsu: But they're giving them out at every gate, so that's only 1000 at each gate....not liking my chances

Send the cheersquad to bay 119.

I don't reckon thats such a bad idea. Someone on here suggested it last year I think. With the northern stand above them, I would imagine that more noise could be made down that end.

On Melbourne on the weekend, the crowd wasn't that loud where I was sitting. There was barely even one Collingwood chant. I think the problem with AAMI is that at times the whole stadium is pretty much quiet, instead of just a couple of sections when the play is on the other side of the ground.

Also in Melbourne, they don't really have ground announcers, not to the extent that we do anyway, that fire up the crowd right before the bounce. Maybe it would be worth not having people tell you to clap... it is kind of annoying. Just play some music and then have the ground announcer say their ready to play. Thats what they do at the G anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year, the showdown, the Carlton game and the Bulldogs game all really got the crowd involved: the first 2 were against dirty opposition and all three were extremely close.

Three examples I can think of that involve a lot of chanting include Central Districts games (many bogans there I know but they know how to lift their team), the Barmy Army and Liverpool (You'll never walk alone). The "Never Walk ALone" makes you tingle just listening to it. It must really fire up their team.

Just more noise when an opposition player is kicking for goal would be good.

Some good ideas on here - particularly the CA-NA-DA/A-DE-LAIDE one for the pregame and quarter breaks. Can't wait to get me a flag on friday. I'm getting there at 5 so I should be safe.

Another one is chanting the name of an opposition player while he's struggling eg. RIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE-WOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDT on Friday night.

Edit: Ooh ooh and they should play "Hiiiighway toooo the DANGERZONE" after Danger kicks a goal - and maybe as a theme song before the game like they had with 'It's My Life' and 'All Fired Up" - once he becomes a star that is.

Maybe we should just take a look at what Port does to get its supporters involved - and do the exact opposite.
That giant fist is the funniest (lamest) thing I've ever seen at the footy.
I remember S. Burgoyne was one of the players to first unveil it and the look on his face was one of a man whose club is relying on a giant pulsating fist float for profits.

Just on the 19th man flag handouts, I think its a great idea, but it would have been cool if they sent one to all the members (silver/gold) rather than handing them out at the gates. I think they'd get a few more flags returning the next week then, rather than just being shelved.

I'm all for putting off opposition players kicking for goal, I remember when we played the Hawks at AAMI last year and when Buddy was lining up for goal we were certainly giving it to him, and BAM - out on the full. :D

What we need is a giant pulsating fist float to drive around the ground before the game. :thumbsu:

We should hijack this, and drive it around behind opposition players without them seeing it as they line up for goal. The entire crowd will be in hysterics. Pretty tough to take a shot on goal if you think 40,000 people are laughing at you.

We should hijack this, and drive it around behind opposition players without them seeing it as they line up for goal. The entire crowd will be in hysterics. Pretty tough to take a shot on goal if you think 40,000 people are laughing at you.
They do leave it in a yard at Footy Park, behind the stadium. maybe we should demand equal use of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

19th Man Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back