19th Man Meeting - Crows Chants Hour

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a great opportunity in our game to get a good chant going when a guy lines up for goal.
ie.

He kicks it to the left
He kicks it to the right
He kicks a lot of points
because he's F'ing Shite
John Butcher *clap clap clap* John Butcher *clap clap clap* John Butcher

-Can replace with others such as Cloke and Tippett etc... Speaking of Tippett

He comes from Gold Coast
but was born in Sydney
All he really does
is chase the money
Cash Bags *clap clap clap* Cash Bags *clap clap clap* Cash Bags

Surely some of the funny buggers on here can come up with some better chants than these...
ha ha the Butcher I like..

This will be run by the old grannies that have run the cheersquad for the last 20 years. I'd be interested, but couldn't bare Daryl and the gang.

I wonder if things like chant night and the Crows providing assistance to a couple of Crows Facebook-based supporter groups is the first steps in white-anting the CSG?

Let's face it, the CSG is a dismal failure in it's core purpose is generating noise and atmosphere at our matches, and perhaps the club has had enough of the CSG's politics getting in the way of generating atmosphere at our games.

This will be run by the old grannies that have run the cheersquad for the last 20 years. I'd be interested, but couldn't bare Daryl and the gang.

If 'old grannies' are running the cheersquad then it really does say something about the 'put in' by the younger fans. Do the Crows not have a good core bunch of energetic younger people who can get up and create a presence and lead with the noise?

I'm not pointing the finger at you Crowgirl but there are too many criticisms of 'oldies' where the Crows are concerned. If fans don't like to see the oldies trying to push the Crows then where the hell are the younger core group? It would be a simple matter to impose themselves as the face, noise and presence of the AFC, but instead it appears to be the older fan who is continually criticised as the reason for the lack of dynamics. The club is lacking something here and it can be fixed by supporters who will do their bit and not continually point to demographics as the reason behind our insipidness.

If 'old grannies' are running the cheersquad then it really does say something about the 'put in' by the younger fans. Do the Crows not have a good core bunch of energetic younger people who can get up and create a presence and lead with the noise?

No, that's silly. The cheer squad isn't exactly chosen by duel.

I wonder if things like chant night and the Crows providing assistance to a couple of Crows Facebook-based supporter groups is the first steps in white-anting the CSG?

Let's face it, the CSG is a dismal failure in it's core purpose is generating noise and atmosphere at our matches, and perhaps the club has had enough of the CSG's politics getting in the way of generating atmosphere at our games.

Half the reason they are a failure is that it is run by people in there 60's......which isn't necessarily an issue, expect for the past 20 years nobody else has had a look in. The average age needs to drop by 30 years or so and it might work. I hand it too them for the work they have put in, but we absolutely need a change of guard in this area. I hope Adelaide Oval gives everyone a new lease and we can really get the joint rocking.

I'm not pointing the finger at you Crowgirl but there are too many criticisms of 'oldies' where the Crows are concerned. If fans don't like to see the oldies trying to push the Crows then where the hell are the younger core group? It would be a simple matter to impose themselves as the face, noise and presence of the AFC, but instead it appears to be the older fan who is continually criticised as the reason for the lack of dynamics. The club is lacking something here and it can be fixed by supporters who will do their bit and not continually point to demographics as the reason behind our insipidness.

I have had dealing with the cheersquad and you will never shift the likes of Daryl and his gang. I hand it to them for the work they have done, but it is a time for a change. There are plenty of young people who would like to get involved, but the current age demographic makes it less appealing. They need to disband it and start again. Just my opinion, and for the record I have been a part of the supporters group and have done the banner many times over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? What is there issue?

They completely control the supporters group. Nobody else gets a look in. 20 years is enough in any position one would think, especially when it is an organisation that is barely creating a whimper at home games. Yeah they do a great BBQ before the game. But its time that new blood was brought in. The problem is that Daryl will never resign from his position and the other oldies in the group keep voting him in. That's why I say it needs disbanding and new committee/group set up. Its the only way to invigorate and bring new life into the group.

They completely control the supporters group. Nobody else gets a look in. 20 years is enough in any position one would think, especially when it is an organisation that is barely creating a whimper at home games. Yeah they do a great BBQ before the game. But its time that new blood was brought in. The problem is that Daryl will never resign from his position and the other oldies in the group keep voting him in. That's why I say it needs disbanding and new committee/group set up. Its the only way to invigorate and bring new life into the group.

Yeah, maybe the club should step in and take control. Like Collingwood did.

Saying that, didn't Daryl take over from his dad?

Yeah, maybe the club should step in and take control. Like Collingwood did.

Saying that, didn't Daryl take over from his dad?

I don't think so. Daryl has always been in control. He even has life membership of the club. I give kudos for what they have put in. But changes need to be made. The club taking over would be fantastic. I think you would find it much more enticing for people to get involved.

I don't think so. Daryl has always been in control. He even has life membership of the club. I give kudos for what they have put in. But changes need to be made. The club taking over would be fantastic. I think you would find it much more enticing for people to get involved.

True but I have zero interest in joining the cheer squad. We are happy to just turn up to games, travel to Melbourne once and do the family day.

Will support the club by going to a number of state league games but that's it.

True but I have zero interest in joining the cheer squad. We are happy to just turn up to games, travel to Melbourne once and do the family day.

Will support the club by going to a number of state league games but that's it.[/quote
The Western Bulldogs will be an interesting club to watch in this area. They "fired" the leaders of their cheer squad because they weren't getting enough people involved and wanted to take control and run it from within the club. There was some controversy and I am not sure weather they were re-instated or anything.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...90-years-service/story-fni5fazt-1226776424086

Harsh. But you know you, sometimes the tough decisions need to be made. I'd have no issue with Daryl and the gang being in the supporters group, but the committee needs to be opened up to younger people to get involved.

The Western Bulldogs will be an interesting club to watch in this area. They "fired" the leaders of their cheer squad because they weren't getting enough people involved and wanted to take control and run it from within the club. There was some controversy and I am not sure weather they were re-instated or anything.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...90-years-service/story-fni5fazt-1226776424086

I hope the AFC does the same to ours. Yes it will ruffle a few feathers, but it will also bring in the new blood needed to reinvigorate our cheer squad.

I do wonder if its at all possible to make cheer squads I don't know "cool" or somewhere you want to be, being completely judgemental which I shouldn't but oh well, looking at that Western Bulldogs article photo, its not somewhere I would particularly want to be or think will be good fun (in my 20s). Whenever the topic is brought up most people say they don't like the work done by the people who do it, but wouldn't want to do it themselves, myself included.

I think the club might be on the right track with this chants thing if its about getting the whole crowd involved from everywhere, rather than expecting a bay in front of the goals to do it, assuming its executed properly.

Do we need to do something more innovative though? perhaps you target a different group? or split the duties. I could see the possibility of the banner stuff going well as a weekly family night or something, and the traditional cheer squad bay could be marketed as something else that's a bit younger or for everybody than it currently is. I don't know come up with a name for that zone and market at teens through thirty some thing year olds, have objectives and prizes/incentives to be involved, even have some of the seats available on a weekly basis to get fresh people through because I know a lot of the times when I go to the footy with someone who goes once or twice a year they are more passionate because they haven't settled into a comfortable routine.

Anyway just some ideas, I've never been involved to know how it all actually works.

I just checked the Supporters Group website and he has been on the committee since 1990! So that's blooming 24 years! Crazy.
I did a rough count up of positions I have been elected to I gave up after reaching 80 years service...helps to be crazy I think.

No interest in being in or running a cheer squad...

Remove this Banner Ad

19th Man Meeting - Crows Chants Hour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back