19th Man Meeting - Crows Chants Hour

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of us are in the cheersquad? I'd say very few by the view of them... I was able to get a chant last year in the GA of LEEEEROY JENKINS GOING..

I used to be. Myself and Mark Williams led most of the chanting for a number of years but we both had enough of the politics and lack of voice of members around us. We would even get committee members cracks the shits if we swore.
We all moved out and I still chant in the outer where supporters love our passion and join in.

No that's not fair. In the early days they were fantastic. Very vocal, very active. Nowadays, even though they are no less passionate, they've aged. And they've gotten cliquey. A suggestion was made to Trigg/Chapman that perhaps the time to change things up was the move to AO. Thank them (CSG) for the exceptional and unwavering support over the years, but now it's time for the next generation Crows supporters to take over. They thought it was a really good idea, but clearly in execution found it hard to do. So perhaps a compromise was struck.

I don't think the current approach is really any different from what's been tried in the past.

Jenny, if you mean to start trying to lecture me on this topic you're mad.

Having said that, I was referring to the club's approach.

Yeah I knew what you meant. Just wondering if you'd been to a meeting to be able to say it wasn't any different to what you guys tried?

Yeah I knew what you meant. Just wondering if you'd been to a meeting to be able to say it wasn't any different to what you guys tried?

The club's approach.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I'm sure people will do things differently than I would. Might work better, might work worse. For example, the flags are something that I wouldn't have invested much time in (not intended as a criticism), although we had some darn good banners back in the day. Dandy_GO 's one still brings a smile to my face.

The club's approach.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I'm sure people will do things differently than I would. Might work better, might work worse. For example, the flags are something that I wouldn't have invested much time in (not intended as a criticism), although we had some darn good banners back in the day. Dandy_GO 's one still brings a smile to my face.

How do you know it's not different (the clubs approach)? Not meaning to be obtuse, just think we have our wires crossed.

How do you know it's not different (the clubs approach)? Not meaning to be obtuse, just think we have our wires crossed.

Alright, sorry I was a bit snappy.

Look, all I was suggesting is that I don't think there's a new compromise, because what you're suggesting is along the lines of what I think was intended with previous attempts. I think the mere existence of previous attempts demonstrates that the club's been aware of the need to supplement at ground cheering.

I don't think the approach itself will necessarily work. I think the club is seriously in between a rock and a hard place in that they would love to be able to get a loud cheer squad (and the competitive advantage that it brings), whilst needing to respect long serving members of the CSG who have worked their butts off, and fundraised etc. for decades. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it can be done. We sat in the CSG bay for years (moved out when it became a dry zone). Suffice to say the experience wasn't a positive, even though we cheered our asses off.

Alright, sorry I was a bit snappy.

Look, all I was suggesting is that I don't think there's a new compromise, because what you're suggesting is along the lines of what I think was intended with previous attempts. I think the mere existence of previous attempts demonstrates that the club's been aware of the need to supplement at ground cheering.

I don't think the approach itself will necessarily work. I think the club is seriously in between a rock and a hard place in that they would love to be able to get a loud cheer squad (and the competitive advantage that it brings), whilst needing to respect long serving members of the CSG who have worked their butts off, and fundraised etc. for decades. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it can be done. We sat in the CSG bay for years (moved out when it became a dry zone). Suffice to say the experience wasn't a positive, even though we cheered our asses off.

I couldn't agree with you more. Some of them are lovely people and they give so much of themselves to the Club, but they are like dead wombats when it comes to cheering. I refuse to sit with them anymore because I get told to be quiet! The cliquey thing shits me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How on earth can you be told be quiet on the cheer squad.

That's our supporter group :(

Notice they are not called a Cheer Squad. The rules from the AFL are very, very restrictive on what official sanctioned cheer squads can say and do, so most people on here who are passionate supporters and would love to be part would baulk completely at their behaviour being policed. Which did cause some issues in the Tribe as it was kinda 'officially' sanctioned. The no swearing etc really did cause issues for a few people ;) I can understand the clubs pov here as the AFL really do clamp down on that, but also them being caught in the middle of a group that have raised a lot of money for the club, but who are not holding up their end of the bargain on the actual game day full support.

I amlways thought with the move to adelaide oval the club should have really tried to have the seating bay (or just the last 5 or so rows even) filled by a cheer squad of sorts (not the supporter group but something like the tribe).

Positioned directly infront of what would most likely be the most rowdy demographic in the ground (at least who are all positioned together) would allow them to have this group responsible for starting chants- be it the simple adelaide clap clap clap, youuuu crooooooooows as so many here like or anything else (I agree simplicity with chants is important to catch on).

WIth a group large enough to make a reasonable amount of noise, the hill would be the easiest group of non involved people to engage to participate, which in turn could make enough noise for these chants to spread throughout the stadium as a domino effect may occur.

The problem with trying to engage random people all sitting in different areas is it is very awkward to get a chant started without group participation and people trying will generally give up if not caught on quickly enough.

So instead of a chants hour (which I am not critical of as its great to see the club try encourage more atmosphere but will need to be supplemented by at ground things also), pick a core group of 20-50 people, instruct them what is wanted and position them where they have the best chance of success.

its something you would just take your kids along too so they could meet sauce Jacobs and have a bit of a yell, seriously no sane adult is gonna go along and chant.

if no one on here went then it just goes to show it another shit idea from the marketing team.

Remove this Banner Ad

19th Man Meeting - Crows Chants Hour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back