1st 3 Mobile Ashes Test @ Brisbane (Thu-Mon)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If England were to drop Harmison, they can kiss any chance of retaining the Ashes goodbye.

He holds the key for them, they just need to keep bowling him. Wasn't terribly wise by Fred to take him off after 2 overs in the first innings. Had ben a bit all over the shop, but had produced some pretty good deliveries.

Confidence was shot after that

Team Changes:

Australia - Nil
Don't think the selectors will play 2 spinners. Wish they would, but doubt it. They are always half a step behind when naming the team. Lucky for us we have such great players. They will reward the side that played and won in brisbane. Stuey will come into the side at Mitch's expense.

Engalnd - Two
In Monty and Mahmood
Out Giles and Anderson.
Will not drop Harmi as they need him to perform to have any chance of retaining ashes. If they drop him now, then all confidence will be shot. Will not change keepers as he kept ok. Fletcher would look like a fool if he channged them again.

Great win by the Aussies. I knew that England wouldn't last long when we took the new ball first thing this morning.

Looking forward to the Adelaide Test!

It has been a joke, and will continue to be, Hodge should never have been dropped, and infact, in those numerous threads predicting Australia's XI, Hodge was in my side, and I still rate him better than Martyn, who played another stupid shot to get himself out once again. I think Hodge should bat at #4, and I think for the time being, Clarke should be kept in at #6, because eventually, he will bat at #4 or #5 and captain the side.

Hodge and Hussey have been dominating at state level for years, there is no point introducing 30 year old players into the national team, they needed to get in much, much earlier.

Martyn, Langer and most of our top order is of a very good quality but they have gone through periods where they have been terribly out of form and CA refuses to let them get back into form at a state level. We have been very fortunate the opposition has been terrible. We could field a B and C team that could beat any other international side.

We should not let the quality of our International team drop just because we do not have any worthwhile opposition. We lost the last Ashes because it was the first time we were challenged and we had a lot of dead wood in the side that shouldn't have been playing at that point of time. When Ponting went out cheaply or McGrath was injured we lost the test match because we have a lot of downhill skiers in the side.

Could not believe England folded so easily this morning

Anyway, Watson will probably play, he's running around and his hammy should be fine. The only question is whether to drop one of the quicks for Macgill

England's selection problems are big, but you're ********ed when Duncan Fletcher basically has the full say in how the team's picked. Monty should play but he probably won't

Hodge did nothing wrong when he was in the team, and was unfairly dropped, should be back in the team, and would have performed better than Martyn did at The Gabba.

Fair call but deep down you know Martyn will not be dropped.

Why?

Because he didnt do anything EXTREMELY wrong except get out cheaply.

That happens in cricket.

Hodge may come in for Ricky's back though.

How is his back anyways and not to mention Glenns' bruised heel!

******** it.
Well played to the Aussies, totally outclassed us in every aspect of the test.

We've got so many guys who are just not up to this standard of cricket. Harmo is a friggin goose, Jimmy Anderson .... no thanks, Monty should be in the side ahead of Gilo. I think our batting has some positives....from the 2nd innings anyway. I'd love to see Mahmood in for Anderson and Monty in for Gilo.

Not sure what changes the Aussies would make, if any, at this stage. Watson maybe??

Martyn's form has been quite good leading up to the Test, and even in this one he looked in control until he got out. I don't think the selectors will even be considering replacing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Hussey was brought in as a 30 yo and seeems to have done rather well.

He has done well, is a top class player but hasn't had a lot of experience in the senior squad, by the time he gets a good number of games under his belt over the next few years he will be considering retirement and we are going to fill our side with people with no experience. Hodge is in the same boat.

We are going to see Ponting (32), Gilchrist (35), Hayden (35), Langer (36), Martyn (35), McGrath (36), Warne (37) all go around the same time and the people who are going to come in to replace them have little to no international experience.

It is a bit of Dad's Army, they are still very good but unless CA starts to think about the future we are going to join the ranks of the Test duds when they all retire simply because we are not investing enough in the youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back