1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan @ Brisbane (Fri D/N)

Tipping Comp

• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent win.

Chasing 275 in those conditions was not easy and it wasn't as if the Pakistanis bowled rubbish.

Pretty much. Wonder if they are wishing they had picked Gul instead of Ajmal...

I'm not sure, you tell me. I didn't even know this match was on until yesterday. I would've thought Hopes would be in the side easily.

Hopes was injured from what I heard a few times today. Has some sort of minor strain if I heard correctly.

He was also complete crap in the T20 prelim and I wouldn't put him anywhere near an Australian XI in that sort of form.

That said, if it had to come down to a choice between him and McKay for a spot, I'd definitely go with Hopes.

A brilliant knock by White. Some of his shots were just astounding and he paced his innings incredibly well, turning what was looking like a loss into a relative cakewalk against some pretty good pace bowling. Clarke proved able support by working the singles, whilst Hussey came in at the end with his hyper-Bevan brilliance.

Our bowling attack is a slight concern, though. It is too early to make a call on McKay, but Siddle has struggled to take wickets in ODI's thus far. Hauritz didn't do very well, but nor did Afridi or Ajmal in the end.

We also need to tighten up our fielding.

And he's from Bairnsdale apparently.

:D

"It's tough driving up from Bairnsdale for State training" :p

Also, I'm surprised Channel 9 haven't cut to 'Macbeth'. It's past 10pm....

It probably deserved to be cut. I'm watching it now, and while the concept had some great potential, it's turning out to be a pretty big letdown. The great music is somewhat of a redemptive feature though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our bowling attack is a slight concern, though. It is too early to make a call on McKay, but Siddle has struggled to take wickets in ODI's thus far. Hauritz didn't do very well, but nor did Afridi or Ajmal in the end.

Why would you worry about the bowlers? This isn't Test cricket, it's limited overs. It's all about batting, and whoever makes the most runs wins. Bowlers have limited overs, restricted fields, can only bowl in the corridor, and bowling to sloggers with massive lumps of wood, hitting the ball to shortened boundaries. Give me a break.

Batsmen mistime sixes these days, a couple of those sixes tonight would have been caught well inside the proper boundary. I really get annoyed when people criticise bowlers in the truncated forms of the game.

Why would you worry about the bowlers? This isn't Test cricket, it's limited overs. It's all about batting, and whoever makes the most runs wins. Bowlers have limited overs, restricted fields, can only bowl in the corridor, and bowling to sloggers with massive lumps of wood, hitting the ball to shortened boundaries. Give me a break.

Batsmen mistime sixes these days, a couple of those sixes tonight would have been caught well inside the proper boundary. I really get annoyed when people criticise bowlers in the truncated forms of the game.

Well, while bowlers are less able to dictate the terms of an ODI like they potentially can in a Test (because of short boundaries, powerplays and other restrictions), it doesn't mean that their performances are somehow superfluous within the context of the game.

For instance, like you said, the side that makes the most runs wins. Like in Test cricket, bowling utter tripe will definitely increase your ER (a very important consideration in ODI's) and allow the opposition to make more runs. You obviously don't want this. In the context of restricting runs, the spinners all had bad days.

Whilst wicket-taking is a less important consideration in ODI's than restricting runs, it will in all likelihood alter the amount to be chased. To this end, new-ball bowling in ODI's is fairly important, because taking early wickets will set back their run-scoring and make it easier for the less skilled bowlers in the middle overs to get into a rhythm and not get smashed. It has a flow-on effect.

That's why I'm worried about Siddle as an ODI new-ball bowler - he simply takes far too few wickets and allows the openers to get into a rhythm and give the side a solid start. We then have to catch up. Brett Lee is regarded as a terrific ODI bowler precisely because he takes wickets at a fast rate with a reasonable (though not great) ER.

this guy proves that its not only white folk who are concerned about what there is on top

younger
69645.jpg

older
108455.jpg

for men, it often goes the other way

he IS the cure for baldness

Break granted. Hobart is the second driest capital in the country.....

http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/levelthree/ausclim/zones.htm

Even if it doesn't rain that much, Hobart is a fair bit colder (particularly in Summer) than most other state capital cities in Australia.

this guy proves that its not only white folk who are concerned about what there is on top

younger
69645.jpg

older
108455.jpg

for men, it often goes the other way

he IS the cure for baldness

Clearly Rana has recently transferred some of that Robin Williams-esque arm hair onto his head :p

Crowd: 19,758
Would have to be disappointing. Get more than that for domestic T20's. Honestly think ODI's will be dead within a few years, freeing up more time for T20's (& Tests of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan @ Brisbane (Fri D/N)

Back