1st Test: England vs Australia [Match Thread] - Umpiring/DRS in other thread (cont in Pt.2)

Your prediction?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Cricket Australia have learnt their lesson and pulled their head in. We can't afford to have Warner in the stands (or worse yet, in South Africa) when there is a collapse like this one.
I hope you are joking.
On another note, I want to hear more from all the nuffies who wanted Siddle and Smith out of the team

I refuse to believe it's not just a random number generater.

All they need is bigger numbers for Swann than our bowlers and it's believable.
Well done to Smith playing his natural game and being the best of our batsman

Expecting our tail to make a mockery of our batsmen. Except Roger's, he is quality and the sight of him facing up with that crappy old armguard fills me with the warmth of reassurance in an icy sea of panicky t20 battlers.

Props to Smith though. Kept us in it. Could be much worse.

Hope Cricket Australia have learnt their lesson and pulled their head in. We can't afford to have Warner in the stands (or worse yet, in South Africa) when there is a collapse like this one.

I'm confident Warner would've gleefully pitched in toward the general theme of rabid collapse.

Mental day's play. If this was a county game they'd have called in the pitch inspectors.

Aussies needed to bowl much better after lunch and they did. From 178 for 4 to 215 all out is a terrific effort. Lots of starts from England but also a lot of wickets chucked away.

But England dragged themselves back into it in the evening session. I watched some of the Aussies in India so knew you have top order problems but the first few overs were bewildering. Watson's shot was poor but Cowan's was so bad as to be almost unprofessional. Clarke got a jaffa and Rogers was mildly unlucky but it was a pretty nothing delivery to get out to really. I was impressed with Smith: rode his luck but unlike his teammates was still there at stumps, which is kind of the point. Lovely lofted drive for 6 off Swann. Hughes looked petrified but toughed it out.

Honours even I'd say. I'll be interested to see how the Aussie tail goes; they could end up making a big difference to how this series pans out.

Honours even I'd say. I'll be interested to see how the Aussie tail goes; they could end up making a big difference to how this series pans out.

If not this series, i think it will play a part in this match.

A first innings lead is crucial, especially for Oz as they'll be bowled out for 50 in the second dig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's weird with rogers batting he can see the guy has it in him to make it at this level understands what he can an can't do, with cowan he looks like a grade cricketer number 9 who just wings it

cowan had a better tour of india then warner so back him in.... how about haddin? wow wee if he comes out in the morning an goes for a heav ho over cow corner won't half of the aussies go off there rocket...i'm open minded to hads but he has to pay the faith asap

ohh do we have the best evet tail in world cricket?

Oh man, that was so much fun. It's just an unreal experience to be in the crowd for the first day of an Ashes test, especially in England. The ground only holds 17000, but they were as loud as anything. It's a nice change from the big cauldrons of Australian grounds.

To see 14 wickets fall and both teams score regular boundaries meant the day was never dull. Loved Sids work, especially in coming back from that woeful first spell. Patto and Starc were overawed at first, but came back in the end well. It's hard to see from what we saw today what they see in Agar over Lyon, but he can only improve from that. Batting was poor, but I loved the way Smith went about it. Glad to see him repaying the faith of the selectors and hope to see him score a ton tomorrow.

Being in the Fanatics group was one of the most enjoyable experiences of the day. Just being part of all the chants and banter with the English fans was fantastic. Unfortunately, the Barmy Army was on the other side of the ground, so we couldn't interact with them directly. The other good thing about it was that press was always coming up to you asking for interviews and cheers - I talked to people from channel 7, 9 and Fox Sports, as well as a few radio and newspaper groups. You probably would have seen me a few times when you watched the news.

Tomorrow's meant to be sunny, and with the pitch already flat, there's a huge opportunity to get ahead in this match, especially with Broad injured. Bring it on!

I'm calling it now. Cowan's wild flail at first drop more unforgiveable than Marto's lofted cover drive in the against South Africa.

Undefendable, that is RUBBISH Ed!

p.s. Pretty handy that we've got the shortest tail in Australian cricket history, we're going to need those bowlers' cheeky runs!

fell asleep just after tea, just after patto got broad.

good to see not much has changed with our batting... hopefully we can just eek our way up to them and maybe a bit beyond.

it's been a bad 2 years for our batsmen (clarke aside obviously) but in 2013 steve smith has been a revelation. i didn't think he would ever be able to make it in test cricket with his loose technique, but he is showing that perhaps he is made of sterner stuff than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back