Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope all is well for him off field and this is merely a I don’t have the passion for AFL retirement.

However I am very very happy he is no longer on our list. I can’t believe the takes I’ve seen about him - if he played for Essendon you’d all as one laugh hysterically about his “efforts” and how soft he is. For the purposes of improving our list, him retiring is a huge step forwards.

He's a good lad, square peg in a round hole re fitting into the somewhat stifling AFL world.

Has talent but nothing has seemed to stick for him at North. When opportunities for spots were so open. And that was essentially after being walked out of Collingwood.

Pity but wish him well if this is the case.

Maybe his final act can form the trigger for the club to expunge the last list management staff from that disastrous period.

Good kid , great family, Football is not his biggest priority. Has improved his golf handicap significantly while his football has degenerated.
I think that speaks volumes that this is the correct decision for Jaidyn and for Nmfc
He's a nice kid. Was privy to an event where other players kept to themselves and he was the lone ranger enaging with the dirty unwashed. Good luck to him.

Not many walk away from a lucrative contract. His was around 600k IIRC, and while it could have been heavily front loaded, it's still not something we often see in AFL world. Hope all is well for him and it's not mental health related.

His skill level was always quite high, but other parts of his game (including his lack of physical development) have held him back. But last season even his kicking has deserted him...

Last edited:
Why bother busting a gut when all you get is a smashing from the nuffies. Jaidyn will leave our club laughing at the so-called supporters. After he surpassed his PB in possessions in his first game for us, he was horribly treated.

Why bother busting a gut when all you get is a smashing from the nuffies. Jaidyn will leave our club laughing at the so-called supporters. After he surpassed his PB in possessions in his first game for us, he was horribly treated.
By whom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t particularly care whether he stays or not but **** me, 26 next year and should be in his prime. A player of that talent with to my knowledge no ongoing injuries retiring that young is bizarre.

Very disappointing given where he should be.

never would have thought that him and BBB would potentially retire at the same time when we bought him across.

The Richmond victory a few weeks back........the bay where he took his kick on 3/4 time, after laying a most magnificent tackle, proceeded to give him the most outrageous and nuffy spray when it APPEARED his kick fell short. They still could not find reson to be somewhat contrite when the ARC showed his kick had cleared the line.

Not many walk away from a lucrative contract. His was around 600k IIRC, and while it could have been heavily front loaded, it's still not something we often see in AFL world. Hope all is well for him and it's not mental health related.

His skill level was always quite high, but other parts of his game (including his lack of physical development) have held him back. But last season even his kicking has deserted him...
It was 5 X $500K

Last edited:
The Richmond victory a few weeks back........the bay where he took his kick on 3/4 time, after laying a most magnificent tackle, proceeded to give him the most outrageous and nuffy spray when it APPEARED his kick fell short. They still could not find reson to be somewhat contrite when the ARC showed his kick had cleared the line.
Too little, too late for Jaidyn I’m afraid. I actually look at this from another perspective. He played one good half of footy for the year, that second half of the Tigers game. You have to remember too that his first half was absolutely putrid that day so the natives were already fairly riled up. Was a pretty important second half as it turned out - he helped us get over the line but that’s it, that’s as good as it got. $500k a year for an hour of footy where he really cracked in and gave it his all. If anyone should be contrite it’s probably him - talented footballer who liked to stuff up off the field and never really applied himself. Huge disappointment to many of us. All the best to him in life after football, but I’m personally glad this chapter is almost over

Why if he can be payed out. Polec didnt have any moral issue to taking the cash and moving out to the suburban leagues. Doubt this bloke is any different from what he has surved up.

Upper ftg beleived to be the leading candidate a nose in front of monbulk.

A heap of his FTG juniors teammates play at Mitcham.

His first year with us was quite good, but the hip injury in the 21/22 off season was the turning point.
All been pretty steadily downhill after that.

Was it these guys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back