Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

This is actually really sad.

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
How you always played in long sleeves
In seven degrees or twenty three

And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry starry night
You retired young as football geniuses sometimes do

But I could have told you Stevo,
The AFL was never meant for
One as beautiful as you

People will probably come at me for this but my opinion is he has been coached really poorly by Clarkson.

Clarkson has never really done that well with outside players. The ones that dont like physical contact.

Brad Hill the only one that comes to mind from his Hawthorn days but he was clearly protected by Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis. It was right place right time for Hill. Cyril doesnt fall into this category.

I can't think of one player form Hawthorns successful era that was like Stephenson. Now eveyr club has multiples of them. Even the so claled best player in the comp form Collingwood is scared of physical contact.

Stephensons good games for us have been really good. His bad have been really bad.

If he stays on, i just hope he is given a role that he can stick with all season, regardless of AFL or VFL selection. If he plays forward, lets not throw the toys out of the cot when he has a low possession game. If he plays back, lets not torch him for making a mistake.

He is still one of the most talented on the list.

People will probably come at me for this but my opinion is he has been coached really poorly by Clarkson.

Clarkson has never really done that well with outside players. The ones that dont like physical contact.

Brad Hill the only one that comes to mind from his Hawthorn days but he was clearly protected by Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis. It was right place right time for Hill. Cyril doesnt fall into this category.

I can't think of one player form Hawthorns successful era that was like Stephenson. Now eveyr club has multiples of them. Even the so claled best player in the comp form Collingwood is scared of physical contact.

Stephensons good games for us have been really good. His bad have been really bad.

If he stays on, i just hope he is given a role that he can stick with all season, regardless of AFL or VFL selection. If he plays forward, lets not throw the toys out of the cot when he has a low possession game. If he plays back, lets not torch him for making a mistake.

He is still one of the most talented on the list.

Disagree. Hill tried his hardest at the hawks, can’t say the same for Stevo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all between the ears and work ethic with this bloke, Buckley mentioned it on Foxtel a couple of times.

Back in the day I played alongside a guy who had more natural ability than anyone I've ever laid eyes on - would do things at training that had me in awe, he should've been a star of Australian sport let alone the state league we were in.

But.. he was the last to training and the first home. Completely lived off his natural ability and other clubs knew it, so they were a lot more physical with him and as a result he would eventually crumble mentally - especially in big games. Then as time went on the mental demons took over and eventually his sporting career went down the tube.

There are stories like this happening all over the world as we speak, players with incredible natural ability expecting to live off that alone, it just doesn't happen. Give me a Matt Priddis (overlooked in 3 x drafts, rookie selected then wins a Brownlow through sheer work ethic) than a JS any day of the week.

I'm sure JS is a good bloke and I absolutely hope he finds a great career post footy, but alas we move on.

Pulling out when you have a chance to lay a straight forward tackle is nothing to do with your coach. It is purely self preservation at the expense of the team. I'll drive him to the station.
I’ve been backing Stepho all along. But when he said ‘some players play different, and bring other stuff’ in response to putting his body on the line. That really shot himself in the foot and put the target right on his back

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back