Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine, given the way the team was coached last year, that it would be difficult to be a player that relies so much on their confidence.

Expect Clarkson to give Sleevo a defined role, with tasks that will be well within his talents and with support in place for when things go awry. Hopefully, Sleevo will grab this opportunity and become the consistent standout player that he can be.

I don't buy this, or people here saying Spicer or others are afraid of contact. I reckon coaches tell them they're an outlet player and not to get sucked into contests. I reckon when players look hesitant, 99% of the time they're just unsure whether they should go or not. Flat out refuse to believe AFL players are afraid of contact (unless injured).
Absolute rubbish. Spicer is scared of his own shadow mate

I’m sorry that is absolutely a cop out. Particularly where we are at.

Shitful efforts simply can’t be tolerated, im not saying he needs to be a tackling machine but I do expect non stop running. We got neither from him.
I’d wait till he plays a few games under Clarko first then mate.

time trial results super promising

dare i ask it, but has the penny dropped and we're going to see him realise his prodigious talent? very exciting, if so
It's good progress and I'm excited to see what he can do this year, but I'm pretty sure he ran a sub 6 min 2km as a draftee. Not quite sure he's at that level yet?

Edit: I might be wrong. Recalled reading something about his freakish endurance though.

It's good progress and I'm excited to see what he can do this year, but I'm pretty sure he ran a sub 6 min 2km as a draftee. Not quite sure he's at that level yet?

Edit: I might be wrong. Recalled reading something about his freakish endurance though.

He definitely put in a good result pre draft

haha im choosing to approach this pre-season with unrelenting optimism

Stephenson Comben Drury
Zurhaar Larkey Curtis

Sheezel Thomas

There is a shit-tonne of potential for a truly elite forward line there. These guys just have to collectively reach out and grab the success themselves.

Bring in a couple of KPFs and another pure crumber next year and we are absolutely set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t help but think this is a make or break year for Stevo. Can’t imagine someone like Clarko putting up with his poor body language when things aren’t going his way.

He is now 24 y.o and for a player of his talent it’s time for him to start making some serious in roads into unlocking all of that talent. At his best he is a match winner, while at his worst he brings players around him down.

He finished off last year well with a couple of 30+ disposal games and supposedly has been ticking every box this preseason. I desperately would love to see him make that high half forward role his. Push up onto the wings and provide that run and carry back inside 50, while also being a goal kicking threat as a deeper forward.

A mid forward rotation of Stevo, Zurhaar, Curtis and Sheezel has the potential to be a premiership winning combination imo.

His link up work on the wing can be absolutely elite.

Hnnnggghhh

Second to last clip: LDU’s footwork before getting it out to Stevo.
Then the next passage of play in the video; the kick by Cunners to Stevo. Bloody hell.

Also, the sleeves…

DC7EB463-077E-4F07-A030-CE8C735D3754.jpeg

Can’t help but think this is a make or break year for Stevo. Can’t imagine someone like Clarko putting up with his poor body language when things aren’t going his way.

He is now 24 y.o and for a player of his talent it’s time for him to start making some serious in roads into unlocking all of that talent. At his best he is a match winner, while at his worst he brings players around him down.

He finished off last year well with a couple of 30+ disposal games and supposedly has been ticking every box this preseason. I desperately would love to see him make that high half forward role his. Push up onto the wings and provide that run and carry back inside 50, while also being a goal kicking threat as a deeper forward.

A mid forward rotation of Stevo, Zurhaar, Curtis and Sheezel has the potential to be a premiership winning combination imo.

Yep same thoughts keep rolling over year to year with Jaidyn.

Talent and potential are top 5.

Yet he barely ever troubled the B&F votes in 2x wooden spoon teams.

Fix up his ability to nail a role week in, week out and we have a player who will make a real difference to where the team goes.

With the rumour/innuendo about Tarryn off-field, it made me think of Jaidyn and how far he’s come in 12 months. The on-field stuff obviously still needs to sort itself out with hard work (and a good coach who can play him to his strengths), however he appears to have really settled off-field. Instagram only tells so much, but he’s gone from posting drunken pictures of his mates to wholesome content with his misso and family.

Hope it translates on-field this year.

With the rumour/innuendo about Tarryn off-field, it made me think of Jaidyn and how far he’s come in 12 months. The on-field stuff obviously still needs to sort itself out with hard work (and a good coach who can play him to his strengths), however he appears to have really settled off-field. Instagram only tells so much, but he’s gone from posting drunken pictures of his mates to wholesome content with his misso and family.

Hope it translates on-field this year.
JS getting blind, hopping on his bmx and doing stunts off his balcony are a little different. JS did dumb juvenile shit. The shit people literally grow out of when they begin to mature. Similar but vastly different.

Agreed
No one is expecting a tackling machine
But you have to pull your weight
Neither dal Santo or Harvey as 2 examples, were keen on tackling but
A they were Agrade footballers
And B they did when they had to
And C they did a decent job at it

Jaidyn adds class and could really help with the rebuild
Hope he can make it

Agreed
No one is expecting a tackling machine
But you have to pull your weight
Neither dal Santo or Harvey as 2 examples, were keen on tackling but
A they were Agrade footballers
And B they did when they had to
And C they did a decent job at it

Jaidyn adds class and could really help with the rebuild
Hope he can make it
Yep his go should be tireless guy running

Kid is a whippet and is never going to be an inside bull or tackling machine. Outside speed and defensive running should be his go if up the ground or more of what he showed in 2018 if playing forward.

We can't ask for much else physicality wise provided he goes when it's his turn.

Kid is a whippet and is never going to be an inside bull or tackling machine. Outside speed and defensive running should be his go if up the ground or more of what he showed in 2018 if playing forward.

We can't ask for much else physicality wise provided he goes when it's his turn.

He’s skinnier than the first year guys. Always going to be an outside player

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back