Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t help but think this is a make or break year for Stevo. Can’t imagine someone like Clarko putting up with his poor body language when things aren’t going his way.

He is now 24 y.o and for a player of his talent it’s time for him to start making some serious in roads into unlocking all of that talent. At his best he is a match winner, while at his worst he brings players around him down.

He's a good trainer, and feels that he has a target on his back. Noble blasted him for his injury pre-season. He actually didn't miss a session and thought Noble was ****en harsh on him.

Now he also wears his heart on his sleeve, it may not look great but that is just Stevo.

Is 100% a confidence player I reckon al clarko is smart enough to realise that. Work with his strengths and not focus on his perceived weaknesses. He's fit and has a happy knack of being where the ball is.

Nobles greatest strength was to try and change the way our boys played. Stevo isn't a backmans clacker.

He's been injured of late so might not play rd 1, but he along with another 3/4 will improve me thinks

I trust Clarko to get the best out of him. Has the potential to be a whipping boy here, but it's unfair. At his best, he can be devastatingly good. I remember his 5 goal game in his debut year at Collingwood. Looked like he could be anything at that stage.

Clarko will find that confidence again, and get him going at his best. Clarko seems to understand the psychology of footy better than most. We have the talent at this club. It just needs to be nurtured properly. Taz is another example. As is Paul Curtis, who hasn't put a foot wrong, but will come on in leaps and bounds if managed properly.

Back to Stevo, though: giving him space to run and kick goals is all that's needed. Like he did in his debut year, and has on occasions for us too. If he spends a milisecond behind the ball this year, it'll be a total accident.

It's good progress and I'm excited to see what he can do this year, but I'm pretty sure he ran a sub 6 min 2km as a draftee. Not quite sure he's at that level yet?

Edit: I might be wrong. Recalled reading something about his freakish endurance though.
yeah a lot of players run their best times as U18 before they bulk up...hang on a minute, is it possible sleeve has bulked "down"? Seriously though, I really think (and hope) we might see this guy go to a whole new level under Clarko.

I trust Clarko to get the best out of him. Has the potential to be a whipping boy here, but it's unfair. At his best, he can be devastatingly good. I remember his 5 goal game in his debut year at Collingwood. Looked like he could be anything at that stage.

Clarko will find that confidence again, and get him going at his best. Clarko seems to understand the psychology of footy better than most. We have the talent at this club. It just needs to be nurtured properly. Taz is another example. As is Paul Curtis, who hasn't put a foot wrong, but will come on in leaps and bounds if managed properly.

Back to Stevo, though: giving him space to run and kick goals is all that's needed. Like he did in his debut year, and has on occasions for us too. If he spends a milisecond behind the ball this year, it'll be a total accident.
Sounds to me like he is his own worst critic and any negativity from anyone else particularly a head coach just weighs on his mind. Those sorts of blokes need encouragement and not detractors as they are already hard enough on themselves. Had some massive games for us. Personally love to see him get into space on the wing run and carry kicking goals or delivering inside 50. We know he can go 30+ and a goal a game, be flipping amazing if he could do it consistently.....close the gap between his best and worst games, and I reckon a bit of positivity from coaches might be all that's needed.

Yes but it cost him no downtime.

Plenty of ways of making your point without losing ya mind like a BF s**t-fight

You know I luv ya TAO but still reckon Noble was right to verbally smash him.

He fractured his hip yeh? From dicking about, it wasn't like he accidentally slipped walking down a hill.

I don't morally care about him getting drunk and doing mono's. But for a guy who had been traded mid-contract and should've been doing everything to ensure a long career, he very nearly cost himself both his career and copped a side of permanent limp to boot.

Even for an immature young AFL player it was incredibly risky judgement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i remember just thinking after round 1 2021 and also the WC and Carlton games - how lucky we were to have this guy on our list. Like I genuinely thought he’d be a superstar in a good side. Still has those capabilities when fit and confident.

Boomer said there is no one one our list that is harder on themselves in review.

Quick learner is more important than being the hardest on himself, that way he doesn't have to keep being hard on himself.

With the rumour/innuendo about Tarryn off-field, it made me think of Jaidyn and how far he’s come in 12 months. The on-field stuff obviously still needs to sort itself out with hard work (and a good coach who can play him to his strengths), however he appears to have really settled off-field. Instagram only tells so much, but he’s gone from posting drunken pictures of his mates to wholesome content with his misso and family.

Hope it translates on-field this year.

JS getting blind, hopping on his bmx and doing stunts off his balcony are a little different. JS did dumb juvenile s**t. The s**t people literally grow out of when they begin to mature. Similar but vastly different.
The way JHF’s year unfolded and he exited and looking at Tarryn’s troubles as of late, can’t help but feel JS is going to be shocked into taking this seriously all of a sudden.
That trip to Vegas with Taylor after the Bali footy trip was probably the last bucket list holiday and he’s now come back a new man.

Footy careers can all end so quickly and Clarko won’t put up with any shit.

Boomer said there is no one one our list that is harder on themselves in review.
I'm not surprised. And that's what infuriated me about the public stoning he received after the Sydney game due to those kick in gaffes and his reactions. That was clearly a bloke down on confidence who felt he'd let the team down. Not a sign of attitude problems or shit culture or whatever other bullshit reason people, and that's including other North fans, managed to come up with. Sometimes you need a hug, sometimes you need a size 9, sometimes you don't need anything. At that point in time he could've used a hug

i remember just thinking after round 1 2021 and also the WC and Carlton games - how lucky we were to have this guy on our list. Like I genuinely thought he’d be a superstar in a good side. Still has those capabilities when fit and confident.

Agree. Bit of a forgotten one in terms of his potential and importance to the team if he hits his straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I luv ya TAO but still reckon Noble was right to verbally smash him.

He fractured his hip yeh? From dicking about, it wasn't like he accidentally slipped walking down a hill.

I don't morally care about him getting drunk and doing mono's. But for a guy who had been traded mid-contract and should've been doing everything to ensure a long career, he very nearly cost himself both his career and copped a side of permanent limp to boot.

Even for an immature young AFL player it was incredibly risky judgement.

Maybe so but I suppose I meant in the bigger scheme of things ie a JHFF 0r Tarryn Thomas it wasn't a big deal.

Anyways it don't matter and I think we will have a much improved Stevo, along with Powell, Bonar and Goldy. Not that Goldy was bad, but I think he'll thrive under al clarko.

I'm not surprised. And that's what infuriated me about the public stoning he received after the Sydney game due to those kick in gaffes and his reactions. That was clearly a bloke down on confidence who felt he'd let the team down. Not a sign of attitude problems or s**t culture or whatever other bullshit reason people, and that's including other North fans, managed to come up with. Sometimes you need a hug, sometimes you need a size 9, sometimes you don't need anything. At that point in time he could've used a hug
Great post.

AFL news 2023: Jaidyn Stephenson plays match-sim in ‘B team’​

Kangaroo Jaidyn Stephenson has work to do to impress his new coach after Alastair Clarkson made an early selection statement at training today.
North Melbourne speedster Jaidyn Stephenson faces an uphill battle to claim a round 1 berth as a pair of teammates turned up the selection pressure at match simulation on Friday.
Stephenson struggled to have any impact in the hour-long scratch match after starting at half forward in the ‘B’ side at Arden Street.

The quiet performance suggests the man who was traded from Collingwood after three seasons clearly has work to do to impress new coach Alastair Clarkson ahead of the practice match games against Richmond (March 24) at Arden St and Western Bulldogs (March 4) at Ikon Park.

AFL news 2023: Jaidyn Stephenson plays match-sim in ‘B team’​

Kangaroo Jaidyn Stephenson has work to do to impress his new coach after Alastair Clarkson made an early selection statement at training today.
North Melbourne speedster Jaidyn Stephenson faces an uphill battle to claim a round 1 berth as a pair of teammates turned up the selection pressure at match simulation on Friday.
Stephenson struggled to have any impact in the hour-long scratch match after starting at half forward in the ‘B’ side at Arden Street.

The quiet performance suggests the man who was traded from Collingwood after three seasons clearly has work to do to impress new coach Alastair Clarkson ahead of the practice match games against Richmond (March 24) at Arden St and Western Bulldogs (March 4) at Ikon Park.
Who else of note was in the B team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back