Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

The kick out on the full in the 2nd quarter, that missed the target by 20 metres was a low point.

Then he killed a contest in a 1 on 1 on the wing which was all heart.
You could see his confidence grow as the crowd got behind him and he started to get more involved.

Then the tackle on 3 quarter time and goes back and kicks the goal.

And finding Bailey for the match winner.

There’s a footballer there but the one thing you can’t trust is footballers who can’t naturally bring their A game to the contest week in week out.

The kick out on the full in the 2nd quarter, that missed the target by 20 metres was a low point.

You could see his confidence grow as the crowd got behind him and he started to get more involved.

There’s a footballer there but the one thing you can’t trust is footballers who can’t naturally bring their A game to the contest week in week out.

I said to those around me as he lined up for goal this is for his career.

Nothing I saw after that comment made me think I was wrong.

He tore up marvel as a wingman in u18’s.

He played his best footy at afl level as a wingman.

Let’s give him the last 3 games there and see what happens

He's definitely under delivered in his time with us, but it's clear he's a confidence player. Hopefully he can build on that second half.

We can't, under any circumstances, play 2 of Fisher, McKercher or Stephenson in the backline. Im not sure we can even play one of them there.
Great second half, but you can't trust him, and doubly so in the defensive half.

Can he regain that trust? Maybe, but i doubt it. How many chances should he be given?

on the evidence yesterday, the HBF experiment can be considered completed and unsuccessful.

There might be no such thing, but Stephenson could be a 'permanent' substitute - has the wheels late in the game, good finisher, good in space

In any event, he's got another 12 months - I said to my son at the game in the midst of his ordinary 1st qtr at HBF that I'd take an F3 (if you could find a suitor)

Was he moved onto a wing in the 4th? When we needed someone composed, Jaidyn was the unlikely one that stood up.

I’m left scratching my head as to why he hasn’t been trialled on a wing. The best footy he’s played at North is on a wing. I don’t understand why we go defender before wingman when trialling a new role for him. Anyway, hopefully we get a run of games for him on a wing with Dylan Stephens’ injury.

I do genuinely think we may have two good wingman on our list. I just don’t get why the coaching group are hellbent on not playing them there. Bailey Scott spending months playing poorly as a defender, epitomises our pre bye performances, it made zero sense. I think Bailey & Jaidyn could form a decent partnership on the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay - sleevo looked invested and pissed when baker kicked their last goal.

I remember Corey Mac when he was out of form - the more he tried the worse he played.

Don’t mind him on the wing for the last few games and see how he performs

Watched the replay - sleevo looked invested and pissed when baker kicked their last goal.

I remember Corey Mac when he was out of form - the more he tried the worse he played.

Don’t mind him on the wing for the last few games and see how he performs
The Corey McKernan reference is accurate and I never doubted his effort. Sometimes I think guys like Stephenson actually forget what kind of intensity they need to bring to a game to play well. When they do bring it and start getting rewards(eg his last qtr) the penny can drop. As in ‘oh yeah that’s what I used to do. Huh!’
See if he can turn it around. That play/pass to Scott was pure awareness and execution.

Jaidyn answered the nuff nuffs on Saturday. He played a very serviceable game.

Does he make errors? Yes, he does. Does he impose himself physically? Not a great deal.

But when it was his turn on Saturday, he went. The tackle and goal at 3/4 time was significant. Even copped a nuffie spray when his kick 'looked' short but had enough on it to clear the line.

The bloke has limitations, but its time he got the "supporters" full backing.

I feel like I must have zoned out when he fked up.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He wasn't flying early but it was hardly as bad as made out. Got beaten tight on the line (whatever, it happens) and shanked a kick down the line (right kick, skill error, shit happens). Solid game. He's hardly safe as houses on the list but there are few guys that should be more nervous than him, next year he would want to be doing well though this time of year.

Jaidyn answered the nuff nuffs on Saturday. He played a very serviceable game.

Does he make errors? Yes, he does. Does he impose himself physically? Not a great deal.

But when it was his turn on Saturday, he went. The tackle and goal at 3/4 time was significant. Even copped a nuffie spray when his kick 'looked' short but had enough on it to clear the line.

The bloke has limitations, but its time he got the "supporters" full backing.

Same mate. I want more and I can see his limitations but we've played blokes this year that offered way less. He needs to improve his baseline and show more of the desperation at the ball and contest which he had as the game wore on. Clearly a player that does better when fired up and not in his own head so much IMO. Seems to play better on instinct.

Shocking 1st half, redeemed himself in the last quarter. He'll get cut end of 2025, he doesn't have it between the ears to perform in pressure situations in the heat of finals, same with Stephens from what I've seen so far. Can't trust them.

Shocking 1st half, redeemed himself in the last quarter. He'll get cut end of 2025, he doesn't have it between the ears to perform in pressure situations in the heat of finals, same with Stephens from what I've seen so far. Can't trust them.
If he finds his groove on the wing like he showed on second half Saturday, he’s probably above Stephens on the wing for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back