Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way in any perspective this comment has any relationship to reality.

Or indeed you are, a very very very drunk cat.

Go Catters
They're kind of the same. Ayers made a GF in his first year.
Would of won the flag if not playing cheats.
Should of got a flag in 97 but didn't.
Club had financial and board troubles by the end of Ayers tenure and couldn't attract good players.
CS got a flag though. Makes a big difference.
Also Ayers took off and left us in a bad way.
I don't think CS will do that.

You would say that's not a trend - it suits your narrative. A narrative shared by very few on here. You can't even acknowledge any mistakes by the senior coach therefore if anyone has bias on this forum it's you. That small rump seems to have become the vocal majority and there are stirrings in the background.

Contrary to what you may think not all of us want the coach sacked but we are and have been calling for a change to the list direction and gameplan for some years, the recruitment of Josh Jenkins and Jack Steven was the final straw for me and the subsequent list management since has only re-enforced my view. If Scott is incapable of or, as it certainly appears, is unwilling to restart under a youth first policy then he should fall on his sword, even you must surely acknowledge that it must happen now.

I get that your very Scott centric and obsessed with your ideologies of the club as a whole but I will answer diligently and properly anyway as it’s a decent topic

The game plan: the game plan has changed and evolved each and every season, I can tell you with quite a bit of confidence that no AFL club just simply uses the same game plan, they are always making amendments. He implemented a game plan in 2011 that won us a premiership and it is well documented by players that he overhauled and changed it entirely. 2020 his game plan almost won us a premiership, consistently got us to prelims as well over the years. Add into that coaches consistently voting him the most difficult to coach against on game day, and they are very knowledgeable people to comment on that beyond yours or my scope. Hardwick had called him a coach who springs surprises and makes alot of changes on the field that he is “ known to do that”. So there is quite alot of evidence from knowledgeable sources and results that tactically he is very highly regarded.

In terms of direction over the years. In general across the AFL it’s quite accepted that top four finishes are perceived as premiership threats and in contention, this has never deviated in general acceptance. While your finishing top four and there abouts it’s always the right thing to push for a flag. Can you please name me one team who finished top four or made a prelim/ grand final that decided to rebuild the following season?? It’s not a thing.

I get it if you finish 7-10th range and are out of gas, at this point sure it’s finished, rebuild. But not when your finishing top four, you always keep pushing to win it, which is what every club in AFL history has done including us, we are no different.

if over the next couple years geelong falters to 7-12 then I am sure the calls will be made to go again.

given we almost won the flag in 2020, the decision to go around again this year was 100% the right fall in anyone’s eyes. No two ways about it when you get that close.

2022 and beyond will be a watch and see.

like 2016 and 2019 we just also had alot of internal growth and development that also topped us back up and propelled us up the ladder again as the majority of our 22 is still draft. So who knows yet.

what I hope the club does is continue to utilize all these 3 approaches

1. trade
2. Draft
3. Free agency

continue to nail all 3 avenues and we stay a strong club.

we have to fall at some point, it’s a surprise it has lasted as long as it has (15 years now)

I get that your very Scott centric and obsessed with your ideologies of the club as a whole but I will answer diligently and properly anyway as it’s a decent topic
I'm Scott centric?? - wow Pot, kettle, Black.

The game plan: the game plan has changed and evolved each and every season, I can tell you with quite a bit of confidence that no AFL club just simply uses the same game plan, they are always making amendments. He implemented a game plan in 2011 that won us a premiership and it is well documented by players that he overhauled and changed it entirely. 2020 his game plan almost won us a premiership, consistently got us to prelims as well over the years. Add into that coaches consistently voting him the most difficult to coach against on game day, and they are very knowledgeable people to comment on that beyond yours or my scope. Hardwick had called him a coach who springs surprises and makes alot of changes on the field that he is “ known to do that”. So there is quite alot of evidence from knowledgeable sources and results that tactically he is very highly regarded.
you just rehash the same stuff, the last 4 years we have lost in the same method using the same defensive, controlling game plan that invites pressure and eventually wilts against teams that can bring finals pressure. That may have been different 2011 - 2016 but the last 4-5 years look eerily similar
In terms of direction over the years. In general across the AFL it’s quite accepted that top four finishes are perceived as premiership threats and in contention, this has never deviated in general acceptance. While your finishing top four and there abouts it’s always the right thing to push for a flag. Can you please name me one team who finished top four or made a prelim/ grand final that decided to rebuild the following season?? It’s not a thing.
Didn't know you spoke for the general AFL community - how did you get that gig? I can tell you this I can't think of a single team that's continually topped up with mercenaries and pinched a flag over multiple years, I remember the last years under sheedy essendon tried it and that failed and they've been garbage ever since - it's a hell of a long way back from a decimated list.

I get it if you finish 7-10th range and are out of gas, at this point sure it’s finished, rebuild. But not when your finishing top four, you always keep pushing to win it, which is what every club in AFL history has done including us, we are no different.

if over the next couple years geelong falters to 7-12 then I am sure the calls will be made to go again.
And yet the results are the same - if you can't being a game that can win then change the game. Scotts gameplan is tight, I will give him that but he doesn't have the cattle to pull it off in finals- this is where you get the cattle, or develop the cattle - he hasn't done that. There is always at least one team better than us in the top 4 and they eventually overun us.

given we almost won the flag in 2020, the decision to go around again this year was 100% the right fall in anyone’s eyes. No two ways about it when you get that close.
I disagree, I don't think we almost won the flag, once again we were belted after half time - even with a shortened game. did we almost win the flag in '95? - not on your life - we were smashed.
2022 and beyond will be a watch and see.

like 2016 and 2019 we just also had alot of internal growth and development that also topped us back up and propelled us up the ladder again as the majority of our 22 is still draft. So who knows yet.

what I hope the club does is continue to utilize all these 3 approaches

1. trade
2. Draft
3. Free agency

continue to nail all 3 avenues and we stay a strong club.

we have to fall at some point, it’s a surprise it has lasted as long as it has (15 years now)
It's been far too long an attempt in my view.

I'm Scott centric?? - wow Pot, kettle, Black.

you just rehash the same stuff, the last 4 years we have lost in the same method using the same defensive, controlling game plan that invites pressure and eventually wilts against teams that can bring finals pressure. That may have been different 2011 - 2016 but the last 4-5 years look eerily similar
Didn't know you spoke for the general AFL community - how did you get that gig? I can tell you this I can't think of a single team that's continually topped up with mercenaries and pinched a flag over multiple years, I remember the last years under sheedy essendon tried it and that failed and they've been garbage ever since - it's a hell of a long way back from a decimated list.

And yet the results are the same - if you can't being a game that can win then change the game. Scotts gameplan is tight, I will give him that but he doesn't have the cattle to pull it off in finals- this is where you get the cattle, or develop the cattle - he hasn't done that. There is always at least one team better than us in the top 4 and they eventually overun us.

I disagree, I don't think we almost won the flag, once again we were belted after half time - even with a shortened game. did we almost win the flag in '95? - not on your life - we were smashed.

It's been far too long an attempt in my view.

im not really going to bother replying to every point because it gets quite dilusional here so i will touch on a few things.

yes, its just common sense if you listen during the home and away season that top four teams are talked about as premiership chances. what world have you lived in where commentators say " they are top four but have no chance of winning it" or clubs say " we have finished 3rd, but we are not in contention for a flag". you just need to pay attention to see this is a general acceptance of the definition competing for a flag.

yes teams do change game plans each year, they spend alot of time amongst the coaches discussing changes each off season.

being infront at half time of a grand final is defined as " far away from a premiership?" ok we are getting to dilusion ville along the rainbow train express in the sky here.

i think its best you discuss your ideologies with others mate

im not really going to bother replying to every point because it gets quite dilusional here so i will touch on a few things.

yes, its just common sense if you listen during the home and away season that top four teams are talked about as premiership chances. what world have you lived in where commentators say " they are top four but have no chance of winning it" or clubs say " we have finished 3rd, but we are not in contention for a flag". you just need to pay attention to see this is a general acceptance of the definition competing for a flag.

yes teams do change game plans each year, they spend alot of time amongst the coaches discussing changes each off season.

being infront at half time of a grand final is defined as " far away from a premiership?" ok we are getting to dilusion ville along the rainbow train express in the sky here.

Delusion is thinking finishing top 4, and getting smashed in finals, is success.

Delusion is thinking finishing top 4, and getting smashed in finals, is success.

dillusion is saying that we are far off winning a premiership when we lead at halftime in a grand final.

Are we now extending the definition of competing for a premiership to west coast or sydneys 1 kick losing margins in 05/06?? based off this new goal post shifting definition of competing for a premiership, hardly any top four teams let alone teams in the AFL history have actually competed for premierships. collingwood definitely werent competing for a premiership in 2011 based off your looney logics, same as st kilda in 2010.

dillusion is saying that we are far off winning a premiership when we lead at halftime in a grand final.

Are we now extending the definition of competing for a premiership to west coast or sydneys 1 kick losing margins in 05/06?? based off this new goal post shifting definition of competing for a premiership, hardly any top four teams let alone teams in the AFL history have actually competed for premierships. collingwood definitely werent competing for a premiership in 2011 based off your looney logics, same as st kilda in 2010.
We got close once. And have been smashed in just about every other finals series.

Marty Schotenheimer coached the San Diego Chargers for about 6 years.
He got them close to the Superbowl but never won it. The players loved him and he did a great amount of work for the team.

After a 14-2 season and a playoff loss prior to making the Superbowl, the Chargers fired Marty.

They have never seen such sustained success again, never made it deep into the playoffs again. The team that was successful fell apart and eventually the team was moved from their traditional base in San Diego to Los Angeles.

Im not giving CS a pass - far from it - the scrutiny and questions are real and need to answered.

The grass also is not always greener on the other side.

Go Catters

Marty Schotenheimer coached the San Diego Chargers for about 6 years.
He got them close to the Superbowl but never won it. The players loved him and he did a great amount of work for the team.

After a 14-2 season and a playoff loss prior to making the Superbowl, the Chargers fired Marty.

They have never seen such sustained success again, never made it deep into the playoffs again. The team that was successful fell apart and eventually the team was moved from their traditional base in San Diego to Los Angeles.

Im not giving CS a pass - far from it - the scrutiny and questions are real and need to answered.

The grass also is not always greener on the other side.

Go Catters
Daz, can I ask you - if the Cats fail to make the GF again this year, if it were up to you, would you get rid of him? Because from my perspective, I don't want another 5 years of this crap. I'm sick of seeing the same thing year-in, year-out, with seemingly no change to the result. For me personally, this is the last year we have a scrap of hope for a flag. We can't win it when Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Duncan, Smith etc are another year older. They're on their last legs, and for me, the only option if we lose this season is a rebuild. If we're going to rebuild, I don't want Chris Scott being the one in charge of it, given his track record. I'd rather a Scarlett/Enright, or a Clarkson etc.

Last edited:
Daz, can I ask you - if the Cats fail to make the GF again this year, if it were up to you, would you get rid of him?
Probably not - but that said the hard questions must be asked and by that i mean like an 06 type review be conducted of the coaches and club.
Clearly they do well enough to get there but not well enough to finish it off.

Clearly some events are beyond our control - not being good enough the main one and thus not winning every time.

This thread is in version 5 - so im not gonna redo old shit.

Meeting the mandate of getting into a position to compete at the end of every season has been met. Ultimate success has not be met. So the between the ears stuff or whatever needs to be done needs to be done and yes.. its probably too late.

Ultimately it matters little what I think nor what I say will have any effect on the outcome. Im as frustrated as anyone at way we have lost not so much the loss themselves. And thats my beef - the style and way we've failed not so much that we have.

Go Catters

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not - but that said the hard questions must be asked and by that i mean like an 06 type review be conducted of the coaches and club.

Clearly some events are beyond our control - not being good enough the main one and thus not winning every time.

This thread is in version 5 - so im not gonna redo old sh*t.

Meeting the mandate of getting into a position to compete at the end of every season has been met. Ultimate success has not be met. So the between the ears stuff or whatever needs to be done needs to be done and yes.. its probably too late.

Ultimately it matters little what I think nor what I say will have any effect on the outcome. Im as frustrated as anyone at way we have lost not so much the loss themselves. And thats my beef - the style and way we've failed not so much that we have.

Go Catters
Yeah no worries, I was just interested in what your specific perspective was. I've noticed this season Chris looking more and more tired, and I wonder how much of that is Covid stress and how much is him just being desperate for things to finally go right.

Footy can be cruel sometimes. Look at St Kilda, Bulldogs, Carlton etc. I think after our period of dominance a decade ago, I never expected that same level of ill fortune to befall our club - that seemed beneath us. I genuinely think that whatever the cause of our mental failings, nobody will get to the bottom of where it's coming from. Humans are complicated, and it's very rare that things happen in broad daylight that we can point to and justify a team's mentality on the back of it. Like Toby Greene getting rubbed out for the rest of the year - it'd be obvious to diagnose the issue if GWS just rolled over and lost by 60pts this weekend.
It's hard to pin down our failings in the same way. 8 from9 qualifying finals is a strange one. You'd think after something like that, an army-general style coach would sit down before the next qualifier and say something along the lines of:

"Alright guys, the last 3-4 performances you've put in have been disgusting, and you've disgraced the jumper with this shit, but here is an opportunity for redemption, an opportunity for you guys to earn the privilege of playing for this club. From here out, everybody fights. No one surrenders. You leave anything out there tonight and don't run your guts out, you start in the VFL next year."

From my perspective, that's ^^ the kind of thing you'd expect from a coach like Bomber / Dimma / Matthews / Malthouse / Lyon. It's that hard love that I think you need in AFL. A ruthlessness we don't seem to have in the coaches box.

And you'll have to create you own echo chamber. He who doesn't learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

This thread is in version 5 - so im not gonna redo old sh*t.

Go Catters

As noted by others, our gameplan requires elite ball skills, and ice cold composure under pressure, to be successful in finals.

Our finals record during Scott's tenure demonstrates that the playing group doesn't have those prerequisites when the blowtorch is applied, and Scott hasn't been able to improve them in that regard.

In essence, our ambitions with the gameplan simply exceed our capabilities.

The gameplan demands more than they can give, and has become a mental demon for them. They seem to almost have themselves beaten before taking the ground, and it saps their focus and desperation when it's needed most.

If Scott is to stay, and we are to be competitive in finals, we need to formulate a new gameplan that's better tailored to the playing group.

In doing so, we also need to take a long, hard look at our list and our recruiting criteria.

Easier said than done, but something has to change.

We got close once. And have been smashed in just about every other finals series.

ok so since we got close to a premiership in 2020 and were in contention ( we literally lead at half time in a grand final), what do you think geelong should have done differently in 2021? you dont think we should have gone all out to try and win it?

ok so since we got close to a premiership in 2020 and were in contention ( we literally lead at half time in a grand final), what do you think geelong should have done differently in 2021? you dont think we should have gone all out to try and win it?
Fix the game plan. Very good article in the paper where riewoldt goes through why we lost against richmond in the grand final and suggests exactly the same thing happened against port. Our game plan results in excess turnovers in the back half when foward defensive pressure goes up in finals.

Fix the game plan. Very good article in the paper where riewoldt goes through why we lost against richmond in the grand final and suggests exactly the same thing happened against port. Our game plan results in excess turnovers in the back half when foward defensive pressure goes up in finals.

Scott has never done a single thing wrong according to him. Waste of time pointing his coaching faults out, cause he simply believes he's a coaching god. He just wants an echo chamber of people talking about how good chris scott is, and nothing else.

they do make adjustments to the game plan each year. your not going to throw out a game plan that almost won a premiership, you only need to adjust it.

he threw out the entire game plan in 2011 and amended it for success, he has shown extremely capable of that in the past.

sadly our problem is lack of execution and abilities when you break it down.

blicavs kicking it to opposition in defense or guthrie unable to do a 20m pass to an opponents chest have no relevance to game plan at all.

turnovers like those are execution not game plan related.

geelong competed for a flag in 2020, the right thing to do was go all out again in 2021, not the rebuild path

We're right up there with the other Half-Time Leaders in a Grand Final teams of the past...like.....ummm....ahhhh....hmmm...

well i got told by some genius posters on here that leading at half time of a grand final doesnt mean your contending for a premiership.

apparently nobody ever is competing for a premiership anymore by these new definitions made up over the offseason

the goal post shifting is unbelievable, it went from..

top four doesnt mean your competing for a flag..

only a side who makes the grand final is competing..

oh no no you have to get within a goal to be competing for a flag..

it gets emotional illogical rubbish really

they do make adjustments to the game plan each year. your not going to throw out a game plan that almost won a premiership, you only need to adjust it.

he threw out the entire game plan in 2011 and amended it for success, he has shown extremely capable of that in the past.

sadly our problem is lack of execution and abilities when you break it down.

blicavs kicking it to opposition in defense or guthrie unable to do a 20m pass to an opponents chest have no relevance to game plan at all.

turnovers like those are execution not game plan related.

geelong competed for a flag in 2020, the right thing to do was go all out again in 2021, not the rebuild path

Well if he doesn’t have the right players to execute the game plan then why persist with the same old? Can’t have it both ways. Either the game plan needs modification or you throw out the players that are incapable of following or delivering your instructions. Doing neither just has you treading water. Which we have been.

Well if he doesn’t have the right players to execute the game plan then why persist with the same old? Can’t have it both ways. Either the game plan needs modification or you throw out the players that are incapable of following or delivering your instructions. Doing neither just has you treading water. Which we have been.
right game plan, not enough talent. besides a media article here or there from apparently nick riewoldt who is just a media personell now, maybe kane cornes will throw in an article as well who knows, but from AFL coaches who are in the best position to make that call, he is generally regarded as one of the AFL's best tacticians.

im all open for a discussion about the game plan as its an area of footy i enjoy analysing more so than selections or individual performances.

tell me your thoughts why it is not the right game plan or why you think it is? i am assuming you think its crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back