Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you have a completely embarrassing finals record if you make pre-lims almost every single year?
This is hilarious. We get smashed first week, play a 5-8th ranked team and win, and then get smashed in prelims. How the fk is this in any way success? It just highlights how shit we are in finals.

Last year we managed to get over the prelim hump by playing a team who are as big a finals choker as we are. The lions, who straight setted this year.

Compete?? We did not look competitive against Melbourne... It was embarrassing... Tell me where the team is going to improve. Chris bet on recruiting old blokes for short term success and failed. Now we are stuck with a list full of blokes who can hardly run out a full season and little if any young talent. What isn't to like about his strategy and success...

So do you expect that we are going to run out in 2022 with nothing changed - like nothing has been in the pipeline since we went down to Melbourne?

It sure seems that people around here think that nothing will change at all for next season.. I just don't see it not changing, how could it?

This is hilarious. We get smashed first week, play a 5-8th ranked team and win, and then get smashed in prelims. How the fk is this in any way success? It just highlights how sh*t we are in finals.

Last year we managed to get over the prelim hump by playing a team who are as big a finals choker as we are. The lions, who straight setted this year.

So if you went back to rewatch the 2020 prelim you would watch that game and assert that Brisbane choked and Geelong bradbury'd it?

If so you and I watched two different games it seems

This is hilarious. We get smashed first week, play a 5-8th ranked team and win, and then get smashed in prelims. How the fk is this in any way success? It just highlights how sh*t we are in finals.

Reality is going to hit hard over the next few years.. They had their chances and blew it. Melbourne is only going to improve given age profile and recruiting - I honestly can't see anywhere where we are likely to improve.

Reality is going to hit hard over the next few years.. They had their chances and blew it. Melbourne is only going to improve given age profile and recruiting - I honestly can't see anywhere where we are likely to improve.

Really... no where?

I mean, Matthew Knights had been the midfield coach for how long? And now he's gone!

So we expect no improvement from the midfield with a new line coach.

Guess there would be no point in replacing Scotty then either by that logic. No improvement would come..

So if you went back to rewatch the 2020 prelim you would watch that game and assert that Brisbane choked and Geelong bradbury'd it?

If so you and I watched two different games it seems
We played well, don’t get me wrong. But the lions have proven to be bigger finals bed shitters than we are.

Compete?? We did not look competitive against Melbourne... It was embarrassing... Tell me where the team is going to improve. Chris bet on recruiting old blokes for short term success and failed. Now we are stuck with a list full of blokes who can hardly run out a full season and little if any young talent. What isn't to like about his strategy and success...

Yep we did not... yes it was embarrassing.
But don't base your argument on that one game. we were never going to win that game PERIOD! No Stewart No Parfitt No MOC Danger with one hand and you think we were in prime position to topple the Dees? don't tell me we were if you do then i'll just walk away. FFS
Chris didn't bet on anything. Thats media talk that is regurgitated by online keyboard warriors as if it were gospel.
The GFC recruited players, some old. Yes they did. Which they felt would enable them to take that extra step. Yes they did.
Did it succeed?? Not to attain the ultimate prize. No it did not.
The GFC is Wells, List manager, coaches(all of them) & even the CEO most likely ticked every move off...
WOW injuries hit and all of a sudden we are stuck with blokes who are useless??
Yeah Stewart foot injury... Scotts fault obviously. Parfitt's injury? Yep same... MOC injury?? ditto... JC hammy problems... Again Scotts fault.
So you don't like the clubs strategy?? Or u want to call it Scotts strategy? And pile on him..??
Never mind...
Ohhh and where will we improve?? Internally.
Cheers

So do you expect that we are going to run out in 2022 with nothing changed - like nothing has been in the pipeline since we went down to Melbourne?

It sure seems that people around here think that nothing will change at all for next season.. I just don't see it not changing, how could it?
I've heard the same thing the past 10 years . This time it's different I promise. Yes but this finals series will be different, we learnt from our mistakes, we don't have the same list blalalala.

Not interested in talk, the results speak for themselves. We will look pretty good at times in sure but unless we can somehow hide our old blokes for half the year we are very close to no chance of winning the premiership.

Unfortunately because our young blokes are below average we need the old guys to win enough games during regular season to get blown out when things get real in finals.

Sydney have completely changed the way they move the ball and have played the kids. If Scott can do that next year then good

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes they have but they’ve done it for one season and it was last season and they got to the point where they had to. Credit to Longmire for so far doing an excellent job of it. I don’t see why Scott wouldn’t be given the same grace

I think you have been living under a rock the last 5 years or something.
Our list has been highly fancied ever since Dangerfield jumped aboard. From media experts to betting markets. Even this past season, we were 2nd favorite to win it all.
Heading into finals, we were still 2nd favourites to win the flag without Stewart.
Anytime a team already in contention adds a goal kicking superstar like Cameron to it, you better bloody well hope we can win another premiership.

Instead, we farted it away.

No I did not.

Which has what to do with having 4 players on the list from 2011, exactly?

I've heard the same thing the past 10 years . This time it's different I promise. Yes but this finals series will be different, we learnt from our mistakes, we don't have the same list blalalala.

Not interested in talk, the results speak for themselves. We will look pretty good at times in sure but unless we can somehow hide our old blokes for half the year we are very close to no chance of winning the premiership.

Unfortunately because our young blokes are below average we need the old guys to win enough games during regular season to get blown out when things get real in finals.

If you're not interested in talk then don't talk - because your talking is to insinuate that there will be no change and therefore no actions to speak on behalf of the club. We may as well not turn up in 2022.

They have implied that they will use more youth in 2022, they have said they will challenge albeit differently.

If you can trust the club to do the best thing possible why bother following them if all you want to do as a supporter is criticise? I say this generally, not to you specifically.

First:
Chris Scott is no mug. He like everyone else at the club understands that change is required.
Every coach spends lots of time thinking ways and means to improve and is constantly evolving
Some ideas can be tried and tested with a Quarter ie: Positional changes with instant results.
A good Game Plan is based on the abilities of players available
Changing the the Game Plan is like steering a large ocean tanker... long slow and planned ahead.
Perfecting a Game Plan takes years and requires the recruiting and developing the right players.

Second:
Between Footy seasons I watch the round ball code... both domestically and internationally.
Taking special interest in the World Cup when 32 best national teams showcase their stuff.
History has shown there are 3 main successful game styles that regularly rise to the top.
Brazilian Style: Fast, Free-flowing, Attacking, Unpredictable Exciting : Chaos Style
German Style: Planned, Organized, Disciplined, Precise, High-Skilled : Controlled Style
Tiki-Taka
: Teamwork, Understanding, Skilled, Rapid precise passing : Tempo Style

To be successful the team must have the right players with the skills and ability to execute the Game Plan
Everyone needs understand their own and their teammates roles. This requires years of playing together
The team must be cohesive and play in unison. Flashy individuals don't fit in.
You cannot take a star player from one style and expect success in another : ie: controlled to chaos switch.

The standard Counter Attacking Style played by most teams bobs up occasionally
but it relies on a solid defence with a few outstanding, super quick or skilled individual players.
This may a short term option next year before our stars depart... but this will not build a dynasty.
Once the stars depart the Game Plan will become even more important for success.

The Cats Game Plan is not the problem per se. Other factors have played a big part.
It will take time to build a future dynasty and there is still a while to go.
New players will take time to understand how their teammates play.
Our Game Plan relies on highly skilled players ... Players must improve or be replaced
The lack of mid-field speed is a huge problem a overhaul will be required soon.
The forward structure needs to be corrected.
Cats don't have the opportunistic small forwards for chaos footy.
Parfitt is not a natural forward Miers is a forward but plays up-field.
Recruiting must be tailored to suit specific requirements.

Continual improvement is a better and faster path to long tern dynasty than a total change in style.

Really... no where?

I mean, Matthew Knights had been the midfield coach for how long? And now he's gone!

So we expect no improvement from the midfield with a new line coach.

Guess there would be no point in replacing Scotty then either by that logic. No improvement would come..
You are expecting change because we got rid of a few assistants? lol... The head coach dictates the majority of strategy and recruitment decisions. Our list is going to remain relatively unchanged - majority of our best players are at the back end of their careers (aka not improving but more likely to get worse - case studies galore... Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Cameron, Tuohy). The club is trying to paint over giant cracks instead of accepting the fact we took our shot and failed and Chris Scott is the reason - he should have left and allowed a fresh voice into the club. The reality is our list is ****ed because of the decisions they made regarding 'premiership windows' - we went way to hard at old blokes and sacrificed draft picks and young kids and we now have nothing to show for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we did not... yes it was embarrassing.
But don't base your argument on that one game. we were never going to win that game PERIOD! No Stewart No Parfitt No MOC Danger with one hand and you think we were in prime position to topple the Dees? don't tell me we were if you do then i'll just walk away. FFS
Chris didn't bet on anything. Thats media talk that is regurgitated by online keyboard warriors as if it were gospel.
The GFC recruited players, some old. Yes they did. Which they felt would enable them to take that extra step. Yes they did.
Did it succeed?? Not to attain the ultimate prize. No it did not.
The GFC is Wells, List manager, coaches(all of them) & even the CEO most likely ticked every move off...
WOW injuries hit and all of a sudden we are stuck with blokes who are useless??
Yeah Stewart foot injury... Scotts fault obviously. Parfitt's injury? Yep same... MOC injury?? ditto... JC hammy problems... Again Scotts fault.
So you don't like the clubs strategy?? Or u want to call it Scotts strategy? And pile on him..??
Never mind...
Ohhh and where will we improve?? Internally.
Cheers
One game? I am basing my arguments on 10 years worth of data my friend. I've been in these Chris Scott threads for a long long time and have been proven correct in my assessment of the team and his coaching abilities. Unlike blind bats like geelongcrazy who see's what he wants when reality clearly shows a difference. Stewart was not going to make a difference when our mids were getting their asses absolutely blasted at every contest. Parfitt has had a long history of injuries which you are ignoring - MOC - not going to make a difference - JC - again long history of hamstring problems - no surprise at all. JC was recruited with the club fully aware he is broken down but went for the hail mary thinking he would still offer enough to get us over the line - unfortunately they were wrong again. Tell me exactly where our improvement is going to come from that would suggest we are a better chance of winning the premiership compared to this year given the likely improvement of other clubs in the competition.

You are expecting change because we got rid of a few assistants? lol... The head coach dictates the majority of strategy and recruitment decisions. Our list is going to remain relatively unchanged - majority of our best players are at the back end of their careers (aka not improving but more likely to get worse - case studies galore... Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Cameron, Tuohy). The club is trying to paint over giant cracks instead of accepting the fact we took our shot and failed and Chris Scott is the reason - he should have left and allowed a fresh voice into the club. The reality is our list is f’ed because of the decisions they made regarding 'premiership windows' - we went way to hard at old blokes and sacrificed draft picks and young kids and we now have nothing to show for it.

If assistant coaches serve only to repeat what the senior coach wants, why do they pay money to have experienced people do it?

May as well just have junior message boys

One game? I am basing my arguments on 10 years worth of data my friend. I've been in these Chris Scott threads for a long long time and have been proven correct in my assessment of the team and his coaching abilities. Unlike blind bats like geelongcrazy who see's what he wants when reality clearly shows a difference. Stewart was not going to make a difference when our mids were getting their asses absolutely blasted at every contest. Parfitt has had a long history of injuries which you are ignoring - MOC - not going to make a difference - JC - again long history of hamstring problems - no surprise at all. JC was recruited with the club fully aware he is broken down but went for the hail mary thinking he would still offer enough to get us over the line - unfortunately they were wrong again. Tell me exactly where our improvement is going to come from that would suggest we are a better chance of winning the premiership compared to this year given the likely improvement of other clubs in the competition.

Must suck following footy for you

Well that's what it's come to, we just don't have that small forward scoring threat anymore. And I don't know what a virus in September has to do with poor H&A games against Carlton and Collingwood

But what have poor H&A performances against Carlton and Collingwood (both wins mind you) got to do with our finals performances?

If Melbourne had have lost the GF would we be highlighting their poor H&A performances too? After all they drew with the lowly Hawks, lost to GWS at the ‘G and were thoroughly outplayed in a loss to the Pies.

FWIW as boring as our win v Pies was as a spectacle I consider that a very good win as we were without most of our starting midfield in Dangerfield, Guthrie and Duncan. Parfitt and Narkle ended up with 55 possessions between them. Don’t know how anyone could have been unhappy with that.

I don’t see why Scott wouldn’t be given the same grace

He had multiple opportunities in the last 11 years as coach already but it's very much been topping up first and foremost.

Even when you take a look at Hardwick in his first premiership as coach, fast forward three years and there are 5 new faces in the 2020 grand final. It's all good and all to debut a lot of players every season but it's speaks volumes if those same players are still there at the pointy end of the season.
It's says a lot about coaching development.

He had multiple opportunities in the last 11 years as coach already but it's very much been topping up first and foremost.

Even when you take a look at Hardwick in his first premiership as coach, fast forward three years and there are 5 new faces in the 2020 grand final. It's all good and all to debut a lot of players every season but it's speaks volumes if those same players are still there at the pointy end of the season.
It's says a lot about coaching development.

When? When has he or the club attempted to rebuild? Do you think he just matches into the head office and says ‘fu** you all we are going to clear out and start from scratch.’

I’d say what is slightly more realistic is that at the end of each season, he sits down with every person in a position of power and influence at the club as well as the leadership committee, and they make a collective decision about where they think the squad is at and what a realistic next movement should be. Every season since he arrived the consensus seems to have been ‘we are close let’s keep pushing.’
So that’s what they’ve done. In doing so they’ve transitioned out almost an entire team of premiership winners and stayed close the whole time.

Now based on literally no evidence you want to get rid of him for the next stage in favour of - wait for it - someone with no credits on the board whatsoever with or without a good squad, over someone who at the very least has shown he can keep a side competitive while bleeding top tier players.

Nah it sounds like you’ve really weighed up a lot of factors here beyond ‘we didn’t win the flag.’

And you know what? Scott may not have been tried or tested with a bunch of unproven kids. But at least he has introduced plenty of them intermittently on an individual basis and they’ve shown they can at least be a contributor.

That’s already more ticks in the box than a brand new coach who has not even done that.

It’s mind boggling the black and white attitude to this it really is.

It would be like a formula 1 team having a driver who won a championship early in a good car and has stayed thereabouts in the time since. Then the team decides they’re going to get a new and frankly slower manufacturer onboard and saying ‘well you’ve never taken a poorer slower engine to the top four so we are going to get rid of you for a rookie driver before next season.’
Or a stable jockey who has made his name on a good crop of group 1 horses getting fired in favour of an apprentice when those horses retire without getting an opportunity to ride the maidens.

Makes no sense whatsoever not to give him first crack.

When? When has he or the club attempted to rebuild? Do you think he just matches into the head office and says ‘fu** you all we are going to clear out and start from scratch.’

I’d say what is slightly more realistic is that at the end of each season, he sits down with every person in a position of power and influence at the club as well as the leadership committee, and they make a collective decision about where they think the squad is at and what a realistic next movement should be. Every season since he arrived the consensus seems to have been ‘we are close let’s keep pushing.’
So that’s what they’ve done. In doing so they’ve transitioned out almost an entire team of premiership winners and stayed close the whole time.

Now based on literally no evidence you want to get rid of him for the next stage in favour of - wait for it - someone with no credits on the board whatsoever with or without a good squad, over someone who at the very least has shown he can keep a side competitive while bleeding top tier players.

Nah it sounds like you’ve really weighed up a lot of factors here beyond ‘we didn’t win the flag.’

I think 2014 was clearly the end of an era and a perfect opportunity to look at the next 5+ years as a means to replenish an older list.
Instead, we go back and top up. By 2021, 36% our best 22 is made up of players from other clubs.

Ironically, the only other team which equals us is the same team which happens to fold like a cheap suit when finals start.
Might be something into that perhaps.

I think 2014 was clearly the end of an era and a perfect opportunity to look at the next 5+ years as a means to replenish an older list.
Instead, we go back and top up. By 2021, 36% our best 22 is made up of players from other clubs.

Ironically, the only other team which equals us is the same team which happens to fold like a cheap suit when finals start.
Might be something into that perhaps.

Ohhhhh yeah I forgot at the end of the season they adjust the standings based on how many players in your side debuted with the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back