Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott culters desperate to believe he’s taking us places.
You’re holding a non-credible opinion.

One of the best administrators loves Scott’s work. Brian Cook.

Someone good enough for a high position at the AFL is close to signing off on an extension. Steven Hocking.

But couch bums on Bigfooty know better. That’s what makes me laugh.

I've had my fair share of 'Scott out' over the years, but it's a difficult one. He's been here since 2011 and i think we can all agree that throughout his entire time as Geelong coach thus far, not including 2015, we've been 'up there' and considered a contender. Since our flag in 2011, Scott has got us to a PF in 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019 & 2021, he got us to a GF in 2020, is it a failure we haven't won a flag in any of those years? In my opinion, yeah most likely. Premierships are hard to win but i think we should have at least won 1 more since 2011.

I've come around to Scott though, he is a great coach, his finals record isn't spectacular but if you aren't winning the flag everytime you make finals you most likely end up with more losses than wins in september. My gripe over the years has been our inability to cope with finals pressure. We've seen so many teams, who may not have had the talent on paper that we do, just bring the heat to us and we wilt, it's happened very often in big finals games, that's on the coach as much as it is on the players.

I'm not that concerned that he has signed another deal, i guess what i do want to see over the next few years, is to start blooding through younger players and giving them a go. Bottoming out isn't the way to go, but slowly transitioning young players into a stable winning experienced team is, i like that SDK is getting a good run, would love to see Stephens given a run too, and maybe Neale.

You’re holding a non-credible opinion.

One of the best administrators loves Scott’s work. Brian Cook.

Someone good enough for a high position at the AFL is close to signing off on an extension. Steven Hocking.

But couch bums on Bigfooty know better. That’s what makes me laugh.

What makes me laugh is guys defending a coach who hasn’t won a flag in 11 years, leading us further down the ladder and still believe it’s not time for a change. With him or without him, we aren’t coming close to a flag for a long time. We are simply treading water, going nowhere. What’s the point.

What makes me laugh is guys defending a coach who hasn’t won a flag in 11 years, leading us further down the ladder and still believe it’s not time for a change. With him or without him, we aren’t coming close to a flag for a long time. We are simply treading water, going nowhere. What’s the point.
Such a bone-idle statement.
So just because we're going to likely fall down the ladder that's why you get rid of him.

The nonsensicalness from a certain sub-set of fans is thinking change hasn't occurred.
It's rife through the club. coaches, fitness staff, administrators have all changed. The game plan has changed, we will continue to rebuild constantly every season. A fall in ladder position is not means to move on from your coach if the standard of the list is reflective of ladder position.

We are 11 years from our last flag. 2 from our last GF. 1 from our last PF.
Statistically you should win one every 18 years, play off in one every 9, and compete for a place in one every 4.25 seasons.

So just because we're going to likely fall down the ladder that's why you get rid of him.

The nonsensicalness from a certain sub-set of fans is thinking change hasn't occurred.
It's rife through the club. coaches, fitness staff, administrators have all changed. The game plan has changed, we will continue to rebuild constantly every season. A fall in ladder position is not means to move on from your coach if the standard of the list is reflective of ladder position.

Statistically you should win one every 18 years, play off in one every 9, and compete for a place in one every 4.25 seasons.
And the one constant remains. So the failure rests on him. Ironically he’s the one at the top who controls the teams destiny.

The same things happening over and over again will never change with him as coach. Team needs a fresh start.

Yet Hawthorn have 13 premierships in the last 61 years.

That's a Cup every 5th year.

Not the sole reason for their success, but one of the reasons I wish we'd employ some of their ruthlessness as a club.

And the one constant remains. So the failure rests on him. Ironically he’s the one at the top who controls the teams destiny.

The same things happening over and over again will never change with him as coach. Team needs a fresh start.
Failure is relative. 17/18 will fail annually.
We've had a good couple of decades but when fans set the bar at flag or fail then success will nary occur.
Yet Hawthorn have 13 premierships in the last 61 years.

That's a Cup every 5th year.

Not the sole reason for their success, but one of the reasons I wish we'd employ some of their ruthlessness as a club.
Whoopty bloody do.
Who cares what that filth does.

Wasn’t a fan of starting Selwood and Parfitt on the bench but not sure what else Scott can be blamed for.

He didn’t make Hawkins miss from the goal square, Cameron kick into the man on the mark from 50m or Miers fumble 15m from goal.

Today’s loss is on a lack of execution in critical moments.

Look Geel these days are simply not good enough - so losses dont really bother me - becauase the Cats are a mile off Melb

But it is interesting re coaches - a year or 2 back - ( Geel had won that weekend ) Malcolm Blight had a regular spot on Whatelys Monday radio review - and Scott had said that previous week - that he had very little input - with the midfield setup/match ups . Blight said - he was staggered what Scott had said - he wasnt having a go at him - said he was a terrific coach - and Geel had won that weekend

But Blight said when he was coaching - the most important thing he did on a week to week - and what he had his hands all over was getting his midfield match ups right for each game- he did that - not the assistant coaches . Now that is interesting - because under Scott Geel have been notorious slow starters - and smashed in the midfield

Biggest problem for Geel ( and it is only going to get worse with top line retirements ) is they havent got the cattle - as John Sharrock ( star forward ) said after Geel lost the 67 GF - look we have just got too many ordinary players - and that is Geelongs situation today - thats why i dont get stressed over losses

He's about to be signed up for 3 more years.
Not sure why people think he will walk. He needs to get back the money he donated during the covid year and at 800k or more a year, why the fu*k would you leave that job if your employer just keeps backing you in.
bunch of morons who know nothing inside the club all rating scotty so highly?? all of them, buffoons! scotty just has to smile and talk jibberish in the hallways and they are all enchanted into handing him big wads of cash every 2-3 years for a decade.

Look Geel these days are simply not good enough - so losses dont really bother me - becauase the Cats are a mile off Melb

But it is interesting re coaches - a year or 2 back - ( Geel had won that weekend ) Malcolm Blight had a regular spot on Whatelys Monday radio review - and Scott had said that previous week - that he had very little input - with the midfield setup/match ups . Blight said - he was staggered what Scott had said - he wasnt having a go at him - said he was a terrific coach - and Geel had won that weekend

But Blight said when he was coaching - the most important thing he did on a week to week - and what he had his hands all over was getting his midfield match ups right for each game- he did that - not the assistant coaches . Now that is interesting - because under Scott Geel have been notorious slow starters - and smashed in the midfield

Biggest problem for Geel ( and it is only going to get worse with top line retirements ) is they havent got the cattle - as John Sharrock ( star forward ) said after Geel lost the 67 GF - look we have just got too many ordinary players - and that is Geelongs situation today - thats why i dont get stressed over losses
enjoy the wins, suck it up and ride the emotions of the loses... genuine true blue cats supporter Goggin Our Best

I've had my fair share of 'Scott out' over the years, but it's a difficult one. He's been here since 2011 and i think we can all agree that throughout his entire time as Geelong coach thus far, not including 2015, we've been 'up there' and considered a contender. Since our flag in 2011, Scott has got us to a PF in 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019 & 2021, he got us to a GF in 2020, is it a failure we haven't won a flag in any of those years? In my opinion, yeah most likely. Premierships are hard to win but i think we should have at least won 1 more since 2011.

I've come around to Scott though, he is a great coach, his finals record isn't spectacular but if you aren't winning the flag everytime you make finals you most likely end up with more losses than wins in september. My gripe over the years has been our inability to cope with finals pressure. We've seen so many teams, who may not have had the talent on paper that we do, just bring the heat to us and we wilt, it's happened very often in big finals games, that's on the coach as much as it is on the players.

I'm not that concerned that he has signed another deal, i guess what i do want to see over the next few years, is to start blooding through younger players and giving them a go. Bottoming out isn't the way to go, but slowly transitioning young players into a stable winning experienced team is, i like that SDK is getting a good run, would love to see Stephens given a run too, and maybe Neale.
I think this is fair. Id say Scott is a very good manager. Coach? Not sure. Has got the most out the players he has had under him? Thats usually what the defining factor in a coach or a Jockey or a driver etc. No matter how great the coach , if they do not have the talent , they cant win. Thats where the AFL has set up a circle jerk, a catch 22 etc..call it what you like.The better you perform, the harder it is to refresh your list with young talent. The better coach manages his player stocks, the more likely he will eventually have less talent at their peak to manage. The players that we have draft all look to have something to work with but none have the pedigree of the mature players they need to replace. We can probably find enough talent to remain in the mire of mediocrity , the no mans land of the middle, but its doubtful that we will be able to become better without refreshment from the draft with high end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting the 67 thing. Polly never forgave the umpires after that game and we gradually slid into a dark period. Yet what was the control on player recruitment back then. Zone? I do not think there was an impediment based on performance.I suspect CScott is a better manager now than when he won his flag, he probably would be very good with a side with extreme talent. Im sure he could continue to get wins at Melb but I dont think its within his capabilities to be an alchemist. The gradual slide into a dark place has probably started ( if we use the 67 comparison). GF in 2020, its been long coming. There are 18 clubs and to stay above 12 of. them with good to average talent renewal is probably prove that Scott can manage a list. I think its also proof that its almost imposible to rebuild a flag side without dropping for a period of time. We almost did it. Almost.

Its interesting the 67 thing. Polly never forgave the umpires after that game and we gradually slid into a dark period. Yet what was the control on player recruitment back then. Zone? I do not think there was an impediment based on performance.I suspect CScott is a better manager now than when he won his flag, he probably would be very good with a side with extreme talent. Im sure he could continue to get wins at Melb but I dont think its within his capabilities to be an alchemist. The gradual slide into a dark place has probably started ( if we use the 67 comparison). GF in 2020, its been long coming. There are 18 clubs and to stay above 12 of. them with good to average talent renewal is probably prove that Scott can manage a list. I think its also proof that its almost imposible to rebuild a flag side without dropping for a period of time. We almost did it. Almost.

Agree - and you know re the cliff - it has to come - because in 2-3 years time several all time great depart

Some posters flying the flag - saying the club never rebuilds etc - in 2-3 years time all logic says - because the exodus of top line talent - Geel have to go way down - im not critical of that - it is just logic - unless miraculously there is another superstar like Dangerfield who wants to come home

the highlighted part is the rose coloured glasses of a cats supporter.

I do find it hard to believe given the immense amount of talent we lost from retirements and declines of that 3 time premiership group that we still had such superior talent to everyone else.

Do you think the teams that beat us think that we had superior playing talents to them? they would think they had superior talent to us. A very rose glasses sort of thing that supporters think about their own clubs.

Freo would easily think they had a superior talented team to us in 13, same with hawthorn, and rightly so. same with richmond in 2020, adelaide in 2016 etc.

very opinionated rose coloured glasses opinion that gets thrown around alot about our supposed superior talented list.

the highlighted part is the rose coloured glasses of a cats supporter.

I do find it hard to believe given the immense amount of talent we lost from retirements and declines of that 3 time premiership group that we still had such superior talent to everyone else.

Do you think the teams that beat us think that we had superior playing talents to them? they would think they had superior talent to us. A very rose glasses sort of thing that supporters think about their own clubs.

Freo would easily think they had a superior talented team to us in 13, same with hawthorn, and rightly so. same with richmond in 2020, adelaide in 2016 etc.

very opinionated rose coloured glasses opinion that gets thrown around alot about our supposed superior talented list.

How many All Australians were playing for Fremantle in 2013 compared to us?
How many All Australians were playing for Richmond in 2020 compared to us?

Do let me know because you act as though we had a bunch of scrubs after Ling, Scarlett, Ottens and Milburn retired.

Won't argue us not having the cattle and generally not being as good anymore. But in this case wouldn't it be even more important to have your best in to start a game? As well as a suitable type of player as sub? Starting Selwood and Parf on the bench and Kolo as sub is why I've absolutely had enough of CS.

He can definitely coach and can develop players. When he sticks to basics and what makes sense he and we tend to do well. But too often he just can't help himself but to try and be too clever or cute and come up with bewildering/arrogant/stupid things to do. If only a year or two in I could understand but he's 10 plus. And he just keeps doing it and again it coincides with an underwhelming performance this weekend against a side we should have beaten easily.

How many All Australians were playing for Fremantle in 2013 compared to us?
How many All Australians were playing for Richmond in 2020 compared to us?

Do let me know because you act as though we had a bunch of scrubs after Ling, Scarlett, Ottens and Milburn retired.
Our team over the last 10 years has been chock full of all australians, and even a few brownlow and coleman medallists. We have never been short of talent.

Starting Selwood and Parf on the bench
What's wrong with that exactly?

The mensa candidates on this board keep saying our midfield is weak, joel is on fumes etc. Keep telling me Parfitt is good, yet to be convinced.
So if we have a weak midfield we need to find guys who can run through there and not rely on someone who won't be here in 6-18 months time.

What's wrong with that exactly?

The mensa candidates on this board keep saying our midfield is weak, joel is on fumes etc. Keep telling me Parfitt is good, yet to be convinced.
So if we have a weak midfield we need to find guys who can run through there and not rely on someone who won't be here in 6-18 months time.
What's wrong is they should have started on the park. Yes Joel is definitely on fumes and the way out but ffs he has to start this game. Been a week and a half since our last. Have him off after the first 5 mins if need be.

And maybe Parf isn't that good. He is certainly frustrating. Regardless he is important to us and should have been at the first bounce. Set the tone at the start. Then go with other combinations we will have to have when Joel isn't here anymore. We sat these two and barely touched it in the entire first 4-5 minutes while they kicked 3 goals. Was absolute nonsense.

What's wrong is they should have started on the park. Yes Joel is definitely on fumes and the way out but ffs he has to start this game. Been a week and a half since our last. Have him off after the first 5 mins if need be.

And maybe Parf isn't that good. He is certainly frustrating. Regardless he is important to us and should have been at the first bounce. Set the tone at the start. Then go with other combinations we will have to have when Joel isn't here anymore. We sat these two and barely touched it in the entire first 4-5 minutes while they kicked 3 goals. Was absolute nonsense.
And as Vdubs said had we won it'd have been a masterstroke no one is talking about.

Our starting midfield trio was Dangerfield - multiple AA, Club best and fairest, brownlow medallist. Cam Guthrie - AA, best and fairest winner. O'Connor - Tagger. Hardly a mix that's deserving of scorn.

And as Vdubs said had we won it'd have been a masterstroke no one is talking about.

Our starting midfield trio was Dangerfield - multiple AA, Club best and fairest, brownlow medallist. Cam Guthrie - AA, best and fairest winner. O'Connor - Tagger. Hardly a mix that's deserving of scorn.
I'd say it's deserving of plenty of scorn as they lined up against the world contested /clearance side in the comp to that point and couldn't get a touch or lay an effective tackle for nearly 5 minutes and gave up 3 quick goal. Have Sel or Parf in there and Guth off a wing or on the bench to start. After a couple of decent years he's back to playing like a useless seagull anyhow.

I'd say it's deserving of plenty of scorn as they lined up against the world contested /clearance side in the comp to that point and couldn't get a touch or lay an effective tackle for nearly 5 minutes and gave up 3 quick goal. Have Sel or Parf in there and Guth off a wing or on the bench to start. After a couple of decent years he's back to playing like a useless seagull anyhow.

Essentially equating accomplished midfielders not getting it done with a coaching error having other accomplished midfielders not in the guts to start.
Absolutely reeks of a hindsight call.

Dangerfield, Guthrie and your tagger is not a coaching howler.
Going into the game Dangerfield led the club in clearances. Guthrie was 3rd. If you're going to tag then your tagger takes the 3rd spot, O'Connor's efficacy in the role is another discussion entirely.

Typical reactive post game comment.
Plenty here have been saying Selwood is cooked, Parfitt is no good.... and the trio that started are highly capable of taking up the slack. That they did not is just how the cookie crumbles. Were you complaining about the efforts of Dahlhaus v Pies? It does not always work, AND Hawthorn fully deserved their win.
That is not my opinion about Selwood or Parfitt btw, but reading the comments here is nothing short of farcical. Now even the call to drop CGuthrie...

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back