Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so depressing making a Prelim...I wonder how many y infractions I'd hand out to opposition trolls if we missed the 8..or worse..
Supporters could accept finishing lower if it was clear we were on a path that was investing in talented youth and actually developing them well (aka our 2007-2011 crop of players). Selling the the future EVERY YEAR to bomb out in prelims every year is not my idea of success. Ask Melbourne supporters if they are happy with the current team they have which was built on good draft picks AND youth development. A lot of teams get the picks but **** up the development part.

It's like being in the 90s again 94 and 95 getting thrashed in the GF leaves a sour taste in your mouth no fight is weak as p-ss, That's what i hate year after year we just fold if we had some fight it would not be so bad....But just rolling over hurts the most,and being told by other fans we should enjoy it,grrrr
It's condescending because we now have a reputation - finals failures - aka hand baggers. Our 2007-2011 team did so much work to remove all the labels and our reputation in the football world - this team has managed to erode the majority of it. We are no longer feared - we fold when things get tough and our coach is an arrogant know it all.

AND they rolled over, no fight that's what i hate, and other fans saying i should just enjoy the ride

10 minutes into the 1st qtr - Geel were gone - alot of Geel players as usual with the jitters - dropping marks - in shock - not sure what to do - pannicky - how many times youve seen that script in recent finals

Thats why i admired Zac Guthries 1st qtr - if he wasnt Geel best player in that qtr - he would have been in the best 3-4

He had composure - he wasnt overawed at all - ( like alot of the others ) - he looked like a 150 game veteran

Thats why i dont care how far Geel crashes down the ladder ( and it can start from next season ) get some youth into the team

And Chris Scotts handling of Dahlhaus was disgraceful -- he played him every game bar one - and then dropped him after the Port debacle - Dahlhaus form was abysmal all year - that type of player - combined with his shocking form - aernt going to win you flags . He could have put those 20 games - into 3-4 young players . Jarvis just got delisted - he never got a fair go- and surprisingly some blokes play better in the 1sts than the 2nds - thats fact- but we didnt get to see that with Jarvis - instead he played some washed up plodder who couldnt get a kick - and then dropped him - when Geel went into a knocout final

H/Time of the PF - i hadnt given up on Geel totally - yet the start of the 3rd qtr ( and the 1st goal was vital of course ) he had Atkins on Petracca - that was like having a Stony Creek maiden - opposed to a Cox Plate type horse - Petracca got the ball from the centre - and the Dees had a goal within 30-40 seconds - and Geel were finished

They wont pay him out - id like them to - but i hope 2022 is his last year

All the home and away wins - up until 2-3 years ago i enjoyed them - but they are just a waste of time - Pt Adel are exactly the same - ask them - they win all these home and away games and then fold meekly in the finals

Yep. Sadly we forget the financial implications inherent in dumping players/coaches before contracts are up.
I believe Dahlmouse has another year on a reasonable sized contract to go. Money down the gurgler.
And we are not really a cashed up club to start with.

10 minutes into the 1st qtr - Geel were gone - alot of Geel players as usual with the jitters - dropping marks - in shock - not sure what to do - pannicky - how many times youve seen that script in recent finals

Thats why i admired Zac Guthries 1st qtr - if he wasnt Geel best player in that qtr - he would have been in the best 3-4

He had composure - he wasnt overawed at all - ( like alot of the others ) - he looked like a 150 game veteran

Thats why i dont care how far Geel crashes down the ladder ( and it can start from next season ) get some youth into the team

And Chris Scotts handling of Dahlhaus was disgraceful -- he played him every game bar one - and then dropped him after the Port debacle - Dahlhaus form was abysmal all year - that type of player - combined with his shocking form - aernt going to win you flags . He could have put those 20 games - into 3-4 young players . Jarvis just got delisted - he never got a fair go- and surprisingly some blokes play better in the 1sts than the 2nds - thats fact- but we didnt get to see that with Jarvis - instead he played some washed up plodder who couldnt get a kick - and then dropped him - when Geel went into a knocout final

H/Time of the PF - i hadnt given up on Geel totally - yet the start of the 3rd qtr ( and the 1st goal was vital of course ) he had Atkins on Petracca - that was like having a Stony Creek maiden - opposed to a Cox Plate type horse - Petracca got the ball from the centre - and the Dees had a goal within 30-40 seconds - and Geel were finished

All the home and away wins - up until 2-3 years ago i enjoyed them - but they are just a waste of time - Pt Adel are exactly the same - ask them - they win all these home and away games and then fold meekly in the finals

So we want to back the younger guys in to get a game but then not give them a chance while in the game to show whether they can handle it?

Promote Jarvis ahead of Dahlhouse but don't let him go near the ball cause he might butcher it

Looking at it from that perspective - one line of action that Steve Hocking could take is say "No, we're happy for Chris to see out his final year and based on the performance in 2022 we'll decide and discuss then about an extension."

If Chris decides to leave on that basis then you kinda know where everyone stood anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem we have is we no longer have a future story to sell members on... Looking ahead tell me where exactly are we improving? Which kids are showing signs of turning A-grade (a requirement if we want any chance of winning a premiership). Does anyone think we played better as the season went on? I would say our best football was at the start of the year when our blokes hardly knew each other - somehow as the season developed we got worse. Not one of our older players looked to be improving - every single one of them actually got worse as the season dragged on. So what exactly is going to change next year that could suggest we have a good chance of winning the premiership?

He will want an extension this year otherwise he will walk
If it's that simple then he's got an extension - reports from the last week is while that an extension offer hasn't been formalised, the board have told Scott that there's an extension waiting for him if he wants to accept it

Ya reckon? Got to say I have my doubts...
Every club has its bandwagon supporters.
What irked me was the implication By Cook and Carter etc that we would struggle financially attempting a rebuild with a few seasons rebooting the team, and the best thing was to continue to ’contend’.
I think that is disrespectful to true supporters.
In fact continuing down the current pathway might lose us more In the long run, as new supporters are drawn to other more exciting, progressive clubs rather than plodding perpetual bridesmaids.

What irked me was the implication By Cook and Carter etc that we would struggle financially attempting a rebuild with a few seasons rebooting the team, and the best thing was to continue to ’contend’.
In fact continuing down the current pathway might lose us more In the long run, as new supporters are drawn to other more exciting, progressive clubs rather than plodding perpetual bridesmaids.

It's been death by a 1000 cuts the last few years.

Best to rip the bandaid off now imo.

Apparently a bit happening atm. Knights we know is gone, Enright likely to head to the Pies, and a feeling from many that Scarlett isn’t the right fit. Likely to leave as well. Don’t be surprised if Scott also is considering his future. Sense that he’s burnt out. Might come to an “agreement” and take a year out from the game.

With respect, I am a "true supporter" as are my three adult children ( I did a good job there ) and I can confidently say that all 4 of us dont feel any disrespect for the club attempting to contend ...,or do I believe that we have gone from a "destination club" to boiled lollies because we failed in a Prelim.

Yes..I want a Premiership as much as anyone..and yes, we need some changes and a good hard look at how we go about things...but I love the club and what it stands for... we have record membership, are viable and competitive. I didn't see supporters abandoning the club after losing finals last year, or the year before that...I doubt very much it will be different next year.

With respect, I am a "true supporter" as are my three adult children ( I did a good job there ) and I can confidently say that all 4 of us dont feel any disrespect for the club attempting to contend ...,or do I believe that we have gone from a "destination club" to boiled lollies because we failed in a Prelim.
Yes..I want a Premiership as much as anyone..and yes, we need some changes and a good hard look at how we go about things...but I love the club and what it stands for... we have record membership, are viable and competitive. I didn't see supporters abandoning the club after losing finals last year, or the year before that...I doubt very much it will be different next year.
I think you mis interpreted what I said there. sounds like you are the kind of supporters who would not drop off.
Just like most of us here.
My comment was an attack on the implication that the club needed to contend and ‘stay up‘ to retain support..

Apparently a bit happening atm. Knights we know is gone, Enright likely to head to the Pies, and a feeling from many that Scarlett isn’t the right fit. Likely to leave as well. Don’t be surprised if Scott also is considering his future. Sense that he’s burnt out. Might come to an “agreement” and take a year out from the game.
I remember thinking at the end of 2019 the club should have encouraged him to take some extended leave. Like a year away from the game. He seemed burnt-out. The criticism after the selection debacle of the QF seemed to have gotten to him. There's no shame in saying, look we think you're a great coach, but you need some time away to refresh. Then COVID happened. Anyway, my pov is we don't have to be a club that, like most, take an all or nothing approach to their senior coaches. A coach is like any other part of the club: a person. If you have good people at your organisation, you do what you can to support them and don't let them go easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back