Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I seriously hope this is bullshit.

Nobody whose salary is counted as part of a cap should receive payments of any sort from a club sponsor - nobody. Even if it is in exchange for work. It's so dodgy.

Why would it be bullshit? That's an official photo, and I'm not sure Cleary would be into photoshop just for clicks

Morris is excited to announce the appointment of Chris Scott in the newly created role of Chief of Leadership & Performance. Known for his remarkable leadership as the Head Coach of the Geelong Cats, Chris brings a wealth of strategic insight and inspiring leadership to Morris.

At Morris, we are entering an exciting phase of growth, driven by our vision to expand our reach and enhance the value we bring to clients and partners in the Geelong Region and beyond. This new role reflects our commitment to embracing innovation and leadership, ensuring we stay at the forefront of our industry. As we evolve, our focus remains on fostering stronger relationships and unlocking new opportunities that will shape not only the future of Morris but also the industries we serve. Chris’ leadership will enhance our ability to achieve these objectives by providing guidance to the Morris team and our broader stakeholder groups.

At Morris, we are entering an exciting phase of growth, driven by our vision to expand our reach and enhance the value we bring to clients and partners in the Geelong Region and beyond. This new role reflects our commitment to embracing innovation and leadership, ensuring we stay at the forefront of our industry. As we evolve, our focus remains on fostering stronger relationships and unlocking new opportunities that will shape not only the future of Morris but also the industries we serve. Chris’ leadership will enhance our ability to achieve these objectives by providing guidance to the Morris team and our broader stakeholder groups.

you can read more here

Yeah, that's why I'm disappointed. IMO this kind of thing shouldn't be happening, nobody paid under a cap should be able to supplement their income with a club sponsor.

Tend to agree. Ripe for complete manipulation of the soft cap. It just isn’t a great look.

I don't think you could call the GC job easy in any way, given that they have never, ever finished above 12th.

They need to fix player retention first, then the rest will start to come into focus

His job is to come in a create a vision of an era, stop them from their previous act where they're off maximising their squad for some indeterminate future, rather than for the near future

He is just making up for his year with no salary during Covid

For the good of the club he should do it again, there is no I in team, and leadership starts from the top

Last edited:
Tend to agree. Ripe for complete manipulation of the soft cap. It just isn’t a great look.
Remove the Footy Dept soft cap.
This sport looks after the weak and lame far too much.

St.Kilda, NM etc would be wildebeest left for the hyenas to finish off in the wild. But in the AFL's zoo we prop them up perpetually.

A salary cap on playing lists is enough.

Remove the Footy Dept soft cap.
This sport looks after the weak and lame far too much.

St.Kilda, NM etc would be wildebeest left for the hyenas to finish off in the wild. But in the AFL's zoo we prop them up perpetually.

A salary cap on playing lists is enough.

I’m not sure if we barracked for either Nth or Saints we’d be feeling the same. I think there needs to be a soft cap or else we potentially risk the rich clubs just dominating year after year (even with the soft cap those 2 clubs are crap anyway).

With Scott, this “job” just brings unnecessary speculation. He doesn’t need the cash. If he’s looking at opportunities post footy then maybe it’s time he went. It just doesn’t look right and we’d be similarly outraged if it was Voss or McRae that had a similar position with a club sponsor.

With Scott, this “job” just brings unnecessary speculation. He doesn’t need the cash. If he’s looking at opportunities post footy then maybe it’s time he went. It just doesn’t look right and we’d be similarly outraged if it was Voss or McRae that had a similar position with a club sponsor.
To me that's beside the point. What rights should the AFL have to block secondary income streams. IMV it should be 'only' based around fair value. I.e. There actually has to be the production of a good or service to warrant the remuneration.

If you're banging around in the garage making things and your wife says they're good and you should sell them are you not allowed a side hustle? Why shouldn't AFL personnel be allowed outside interests.

Where does it end? Is Scott prohibited from taking this job but would be allowed to moonlight as an ubereats delivery driver?

West Coast helped Adam Simpson get two HJ's franchises and I couldn't care less tbh. Do you really think Dangerfield received $0 from his podcast and the Reel Brand collaboration he focuses on in the summer?

Is anyone surprised we went to the AFL first and got it ticked off.
I was never worried this wouldn't be the case.

We're a clean club. Much to the chagrin to the masses of jealous footy fans who wished their club was as well run as ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back