2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

It already requires a complete overhaul and they can begin by changing the name to just Western Sydney, drop the Greater. Next is the colours, who in their right mind chose that combination?

Why didn't they at least try and go with some sort of NSW identity? Surely the standout colour should've been the sky blue with maybe a green collar or emblem? They have absolutely no chance of identifying with the people of Western Sydney unless they were prepared to at least make some attempt to take in and incorporate as their own a supporter base that could easily have identified with this new club.
images

What is it with the love affair with wolves?? Hated it personally. Would of preferred something like razorbacks or Redbacks something aussie but violent. Though Giants has grown on me, and I love it now.

As for GWS well I know why its there and I reckon in 8 years when the contract is over it might disappear.

Love the colours song and Skoda.

What is it with the love affair with wolves?? Hated it personally. Would of preferred something like razorbacks or Redbacks something aussie but violent. Though Giants has grown on me, and I love it now.

As for GWS well I know why its there and I reckon in 8 years when the contract is over it might disappear.

Love the colours song and Skoda.
Like Skoda as a venue, but the pointy end near the grandstand shits me. Practically no pockets at all. I suspect this is a ground where over the years a serious home ground advantage will develop.

(Photo is mid-construction, but you get the idea)

do we have to go through this all again Ichabod???

you're confusing an area immediately west of the Sydney CBD with the definition and region of Western Sydney.

I live in the Inner West. It is not the region of Western or Greater Western Sydney. The use of the term 'West' in Inner West is irrelevant. It's obvious the AFL exec nuffies from Melbourne as well as the Giants would like to try and convince folks otherwise and move the accepted boundaries of the region further east, but it is blatantly incorrect.

Western Sydney begins less than 200 metres south east of the Giants new training and administration digs down Australia Ave at the roundabout opposite DFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Western_Sydney

http://www.westernsydney.nsw.gov.au/about-western-sydney/map/

no reference to the inner west areas of strathfield, burwood, canada bay, ashfield, marrickville or leichardt or even canterbury there.

the only difference between Western Sydney and Greater Western Sydney is the later includes the macarthur region of campbelltown, camden and wollondilly LGA's into the Western Sydney fold under the term 'Greater'.

sydney_gws_low-res.jpg

pink area of map is Western or Greater Western Sydney.

The beginning of Western Sydney region is at the eastern boundary of Auburn LGA, which is Olympic Park.

You're welcome.

The man speaks truth. The City West Link connects the CBD with the Outer Inner West (if you know what I mean). I live a few km West of the end of the City West Link and there's no way this region would be called "Western Sydney". You've got to go down the highway past ANZ Stadium for that. And the heart of Western Sydney is 20 mins further down the road again.

For the record I love the colours, think the song is the best in the league, and am OK with 'Giants'. But agree that 'GWS' sounds a bit meh. Also agree that it is easily solved by dropping the "Greater".

do we have to go through this all again Ichabod???

you're confusing an area immediately west of the Sydney CBD with the definition and region of Western Sydney.

I live in the Inner West. It is not the region of Western or Greater Western Sydney. The use of the term 'West' in Inner West is irrelevant. It's obvious the AFL exec nuffies from Melbourne as well as the Giants would like to try and convince folks otherwise and move the accepted boundaries of the region further east, but it is blatantly incorrect.

Western Sydney begins less than 200 metres south east of the Giants new training and administration digs down Australia Ave at the roundabout opposite DFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Western_Sydney

http://www.westernsydney.nsw.gov.au/about-western-sydney/map/

no reference to the inner west areas of strathfield, burwood, canada bay, ashfield, marrickville or leichardt or even canterbury there.

the only difference between Western Sydney and Greater Western Sydney is the later includes the macarthur region of campbelltown, camden and wollondilly LGA's into the Western Sydney fold under the term 'Greater'.

sydney_gws_low-res.jpg

pink area of map is Western or Greater Western Sydney.

The beginning of Western Sydney region is at the eastern boundary of Auburn LGA, which is Olympic Park.

You're welcome.

So you finally admit that we have our administrative headquarters, train and play our home games in the Greater Western Sydney area? Well done on finally admitting to reality by drawing everyone's attention to your map with the pretty pink bit on it. Oh, and what's the easiest way to get to that pink bit on the map from the CBD? Oh yes, that's right, the ANZAC fu#%ng Bridge.

Your welcome.

It is well known that the ANZAC bridge(Victoria rd), M4 and M2 are the main "gateways" to the West. They may not start or be in the West BUT that's the entry points to them. No point arguing with him again Ichabod. This is the same guy that said the Wanderers were perfectly in the middle of the West yet the Giants 10 mins up the road were not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at a sports store the other day and I really thought the Giants jumper stood out, and I had to admit it was probably the most modern and best looking of all the jumpers on display.

I'm not a fan of the "Giants" name however, I think the name Walers as proposed at the time was a clear standout due, albeit it does lend itself to misuse...

It is well known that the ANZAC bridge(Victoria rd), M4 and M2 are the main "gateways" to the West. They may not start or be in the West BUT that's the entry points to them. No point arguing with him again Ichabod. This is the same guy that said the Wanderers were perfectly in the middle of the West yet the Giants 10 mins up the road were not.

So you finally admit that we have our administrative headquarters, train and play our home games in the Greater Western Sydney area? Well done on finally admitting to reality by drawing everyone's attention to your map with the pretty pink bit on it. Oh, and what's the easiest way to get to that pink bit on the map from the CBD? Oh yes, that's right, the ANZAC fu#%ng Bridge.

Your welcome.

your patronising and focusing the argument to the technicalities of where the Giants base is does little to disprove that the argument you constantly peddle about where the region of Western Sydney actually is wrong.

i never said it wasn't in western sydney. What I said is that the area has more of an association with the Inner West which is just 200m down the road, than the greater region of Western Sydney which extends 50kms and beyond in the other direction.

That's right. Anzac Bridge isn't in western sydney and it's not the entry point to it either. it links the CBD with the inner west suburbs. I use the Anzac Bridge to commute, yet I'm going nowhere near Western Sydney. there's a fair way to go before reaching western sydney. the pretty pink bit as you so patronisingly put it is nowhere near the anzac bridge, but the Giants would like the nuffies to believe that anything west of it is Western Sydney.

and I never said the Wanderers are 'perfectly' in Western Sydney. home games are in the CBD of the west where the supporters wanted it. home training and admin are out at Rooty Hill where the club wanted them to signify a western sydney community link. in contrast, GWS bailed from the same admin and training facility complex after just a couple of years because it was too far from their plush residential pad at breakfast point...........in the inner west. They made sure that the cricket excuse got plenty of air time in the reasoning thereafter though. reality was they were always leaving and the blacktown tenancy was just for show. their connection now is a day trip into the guts of the zoo by a couple of players once or twice a week for a PR exercise.

Wanderers have integrated themselves much more within the guts of Western Sydney than on a technicality of being just 200m within the the boundary. as I said, GWS will now draw a fair proportion of their support from the inner west areas close to Olympic Park. they've all but abandoned readily observable association with western sydney centres such as Penrith, Liverpool, Blacktown and Campbelltown.

So because you use the bridge to commute and you live in the inner west the bridge has absolutely nothing to do with western Sydney despite the honking great sign on it that says WEST LINK. Well bully for you. Glad to see that the bridge is all yours and we in western Sydney can't use it to get into the city. I'll remember that next time and try to go another way.

And you're the dude with the map that puts GWS in GWS so don't talk about me trying to be patronizing you're the moron who posted the map.

My god but you are a complete F#%wit when it comes to our club? total moron.

So because you use the bridge to commute and you live in the inner west the bridge has absolutely nothing to do with western Sydney despite the honking great sign on it that says WEST LINK. Well bully for you. Glad to see that the bridge is all yours and we in western Sydney can't use it to get into the city. I'll remember that next time and try to go another way.

And you're the dude with the map that puts GWS in GWS so don't talk about me trying to be patronizing you're the moron who posted the map.

My god but you are a complete F#%wit when it comes to our club? total moron.

I don't want to read tomorrow that some blokes head out at penrith exploded tonight.

Take a few deep ones, Ichabod.

Like the colours, song and logo. The "Giants" names suits what the AFL is trying to accomplish in Western Sydney and is also good for puns. I like the term "GWS", it's unique and has character (similar to QPR in English football).

I don't like their main jumper, it reminds me of Port and Freo's original AFL jumpers, something that will get changed in a few years, however I do like their clash jumper. They should have a main jumper that is mostly orange on the front and back, as it has more character, would look better and differentiate better with most opponents. The other option would've been so much better.

Would also like to see them stop playing home games in Canberra and just play all home games in Western Sydney. Canberra and Tassie should get their own team.

It's unique.

Fremantle have managed to turn their purple into an integral part of their marketing, the Giants will do the same with their orange.

GWS works, Greater Western Sydney is a bit of a mouthful. They should focus on GWS.

In my view Freo's branding has improved mainly due to on-field improvement coupled with a more traditional guernsey design. Port Adelaide have also adopted a more traditional design.

I think GWS could have gone down a more traditional path from the beginning. Given the nature of the area they represent I would have thought a black and blue guernsey would have been an obvious choice around which the club could build its brand.Also, why on earth the giants nickname? Surely they could have come up with a nickname consistent with the area they represent.

Their jumper is pretty meh, needs to be reworked. The nickname is meh too but a generic one like Giants still beats the other recent efforts of the Suns, Power and Dockers.

I don't mind the 'GWS' branding but as several Sydney based people have said in here there's a chance it's not resonating with the potential fan base.

Other than that it's pretty well done. The colours are unique and make a point of difference, the song is great, good stadium etc.

But honestly the whole Western Sydney endeavor reeks a bit of the rush for the Gold Coast in the 90's from the AFL, NRL and NBL which over saturated the market and ended up a graveyard for all. The Giants are pushing shit up a hill and the three Western Sydney NRL teams are struggling. The Wanderers are obviously the exception but you have to wonder how many professional codes the area can handle. It'll take so much time and development and it's likely to take GWS at least 30 years to just be anywhere near as established as the Swans are in Sydney now (minus the South Melbourne support base). I'm not sure that it's either worth the effort or worth keeping a team from Tasmania for.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 years on, what do you think of the Giants branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back