AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

use that famously two meter Peter stature and get better at pushing your opponent away from the footy to effectively turn contested marks into uncontested marks
Overall I quite like 2MP but not sure I have convert seen a worse correlation between size and functional strength.

I’m sure he lifts huge in the gym but it doesn’t translate at all on game day. Never initiates contact himself and has zero ability to absorb contact. When marking he is never braced or ready to physically engage so it’s like the contact that comes is a surprise he’s not prepared for.

Needs a spell in the VFL.

Overall I quite like 2MP but not sure I have convert seen a worse correlation between size and functional strength.

I’m sure he lifts huge in the gym but it doesn’t translate at all on game day. Never initiates contact himself and has zero ability to absorb contact. When marking he is never braced or ready to physically engage so it’s like the contact that comes is a surprise he’s not prepared for.

Needs a spell in the VFL.
Personally I think he is just one of those guys who is not overly strong . Limited core strength . Think he gets the power in his kicking by being a beautiful timer of the footy off the boot. The other issue for me is he is slow leg speed wise and he is also slow reaction wise.

Well we are but sometimes that is what you get when you pay a packet of chips. Was good enough before he did his shoulder last pre season. Cost us **** all. Kicked 50 goals. Got injured. Out of form. Sometimes that is how it is.

Could and most likely will come good again too. His numbers (aside from Saturday) aren’t actually too horrible - but I think we can all agree he’s out of form at the moment.

The timeline may be off, but if Caddy were to become a number 1 KPF option in 2-4 years, I think Wright would be a fairly handy second option (/back up ruck).

2MP is an easy scapegoat.

Reality is on a better club with good ball movement he’d get lots of opportunity and probably go over 50 goals a season again.

Essendon is awful in transition and can’t get him the ball fast enough to feed his 1 wood.

Lack of pressure is just as much about the mix with Stringer (slow) Langford (slow) Caddy (slow) Goldy (slow) Cox (Bambi) Perkins (currently out of form) Pressure forwards (non existent)

2MP is an easy scapegoat.

Reality is on a better club with good ball movement he’d get lots of opportunity and probably go over 50 goals a season again.

Essendon is awful in transition and can’t get him the ball fast enough to feed his 1 wood.

Lack of pressure is just as much about the mix with Stringer (slow) Langford (slow) Caddy (slow) Goldy (slow) Cox (Bambi) Perkins (currently out of form) Pressure forwards (non existent)
There was a moment on Saturday where Duursma kicked the perfect ball inside 50 and 2MP was too slow to react to where the space was going to be. He is a scapegoat because he is slow. His reaction time is slow and he is easily beaten in a physical contest.

I reckon they will keep him in and hope he finds form under the dome. He's hard to watch when he's out of form but he can play at the level so they probably need to persist.

Wright is simply not a #1 KPF and it's time we come to terms with that as a club even if it stings. The sooner we realise that, the better.

He is too lax/has no presence, his confidence is prone to falling apart because of slight moments, and his follow up work is shoddy/lacks intensity.

We need to look for a reliable #1 KPF and we need to do it fast.

The problem we face now is Pete isn't the type of guy that will tear the 2s apart - it's probably why he also rotted in the gc 2s. Think he's a guy that needs the structures and quality delivery of the 1s to show his true ability. He will just get swamped in the muck of 2s footy Imo

If he's not going to demand a spot by weight of goals or marks what excuse do they have for recalling him?

The problem we face now is Pete isn't the type of guy that will tear the 2s apart - it's probably why he also rotted in the gc 2s. Think he's a guy that needs the structures and quality delivery of the 1s to show his true ability. He will just get swamped in the muck of 2s footy Imo

If he's not going to demand a spot by weight of goals or marks what excuse do they have for recalling him?

either Draper or caddy not being up to it as forwards aka turns out Wright wasn’t the problem should do it.

Edit: Wright is a perfectly capable “tallest forward” in a working forward line with good delivery.

Not a number 1 target but capable tall target when others are covered and can lead away from the Dropzone.

We’ve been an awful team at attacking transition this year (also bad last year) and with stoppage production taking a hit without parish we’re unable to generate enough quick front half ball movement

Last edited:
either Draper or caddy not being up to it as forwards aka turns out Wright wasn’t the problem should do it.

The fact 2mp gets bang for buck via his goal kicking vs drapes lottery should help. I can't believe they drop him after a wet weather game when the lid is clearly to his advantage.

We have stringer just going, Langford out of touch, a crazy ruckman who can't kick and a 3 game kid. The fwd line is dire!

The VFL team has a bye too, so he can't even ply his trade in the magoos.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He can't mark anymore and he isn't good enough to ruck for long periods.
It's going to be interesting to see what we will do with him moving forward.

Not much point been 2MP if you can't take a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his last 7 games 2MP has averaged: 8 disposals, 13 hit outs , 4.4 marks & 1 goal a game

Its not a great return from our 2022 best & fairest - hardly inspiring stuff...
I'm hoping he just needs a week or 2 to reset and get some hunger back…

I read this as a slap to the back of the head. We want more effort from him. As for him not being a good fit for our forward line, I completely disagree. When everything is ticking the mobility, leading and sheer X factor of wright, Langford and stringer is a dream come true.
Here’s an idea, maybe we don’t crap our pants over a bad day in the wet?!

2MP really is just Nick Larkey from wish, hes just missing the marking ability on the lead

Well that was all a bit ****ing pointless, wasn’t it?
I think they call it a ‘wake up call’.

In this case it was a gentle, hesitant shake of the shoulder that may have only stirred him awake momentarily before going back to sleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back