AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

"One good year". He's had one bad year for us, of which he was injured for over half the season.

He was one goal and 5 hitouts away from being only the third player to kick 30+ goals and average 10+ hitouts a game in the 21st century in 2021.

He's getting a bad wrap. People want him to be Paul Salmon. He's not.
Rather, I meant one good year as a forward. His value is as a forward-ruck, obviously.

Rather, I meant one good year as a forward. His value is as a forward-ruck, obviously.
Even this year, ignoring the ruck work, he’s 42nd in the league for goals per game (played >3 games). And although he doesn’t mark as many as we’d like, he does bring it to ground a lot. He’s a solid contributor as a forward even ignoring his ability to be our second ruck option.

His value is as a genuine second ruck who can kick 30-40 goals a year. They don’t grow on trees.

That said - he has a lot of limitations to his game, consistent competitiveness and physicality chiefly. He’s not getting the best defender anymore (Langers is) but he’s not feasting on this the way he should be.

Cox looked ok on the ruck last night….if that’s a thing then it’s trouble for 2MP. To me, if he’s not providing back up ruck minutes then there is a strong case for him to go back to VFL given current form. We may very well benefit from working another small into the forward mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been saying it all year the forward line functions better without him, but constantly get told how great he is as 2nd ruck. He offers absolutely no 2nd effort and allows his man to intercept too often.
His best form was pre shoulder injury, im not sure we will see that 2MP again.

His only 'good' game after his suspension was the GC game. Needs a week or two. Cox can second ruck. Go clunk a few in the VFl

If I could make him sit in a room and watch one player's highlights to learn from it'd be Tom Hawkins, particularly v Essendon. He needs to get proactive and initiate the contact with his opponent if he gets in a 1v1; use that famously two meter Peter stature and get better at pushing your opponent away from the footy to effectively turn contested marks into uncontested marks. He should also seriously spend time with an MMA instructor because those guys know how to move an opponent from weird positions.

He's a bit too earnest in how he plays and it makes him easy to play on. Take away his run and jump at the footy, or give him some contact as he goes up and he'll usually struggle.

Perhaps we’re seeing why Gold Coast didn’t play him
Well we are but sometimes that is what you get when you pay a packet of chips. Was good enough before he did his shoulder last pre season. Cost us **** all. Kicked 50 goals. Got injured. Out of form. Sometimes that is how it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back