20 Disposals and a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Gray - 5 times (2014-2016, 2018, 2019).

Avwraged 19 disposal & 1.4 goals over his career.

Paul Chapman 7 seasons.

26 and 1.8 in 2009 was his best.

19.7 1.3 for his career

Steve Johnson did it four times:
08: 20.3 & 2.1
11: 22.4 & 2.2
13: 28.7 & 1.2
15: 20.6 & 1.5

Narrowly missed out:
09: 19.9 & 2.2
10: 18.6 & 2.9
12: 22.1 & 0.9
14: 25.8 & 0.9

Career average of 19.2 & 1.8.
If you want to favour primary forwards (with some mid minutes) over primary mids (with some forward minutes) you probably just set it to 17 or 18 disposals and 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7 plus goals a game.

I'm reality it is just an analysis of forward/midfield minutes unless you have an obvious outlier freak (Matthews).

Bob Skilton did it in 4 of his last 6 seasons. Before that disposals were not recorded. He played 9 seasons prior to that averaging over a goal per game in every one of them and I would not be shocked if he averaged over 20 disposals in almost all of those.

Skilton averaged 1.74 goals per game in his career, and if I had to guess by extrapolation from what is known, I would say he would have averaged around 27 disposals at least.

1968 Skilton averaged 32 disposals and 2.1 goals per game.

1959, his first Brownlow year, he averaged 3.75 goals per game, and I would guess a very healthy number of disposals as well, like 25+. He played 16 matches for 60 goals that season. If he had played in the 70's or 80's for a strong team, there is every chance that is a 100 goal season.

His 60 goals were made up game by game as follows:

0 goals = zero
1 goal = zero
2 goals = 3 times
3 goals = 7 times
4 goals = zero
5 goals = 5 times
6 goals = zero
7 goals = zero
8 goals = 1 time

So for the whole season he only every scored 2, 3, 5 or 8 goals in a game. There were only 379 goals scored in total in those 16 matches so Skilton scored 16% of all goals scored in those games that season whilst playing mainly on the ball. Astonishing season. Incredible record.

I would have thought Brad Johnson put up these sort of numbers a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to favour primary forwards (with some mid minutes) over primary mids (with some forward minutes) you probably just set it to 17 or 18 disposals and 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7 plus goals a game.
I'm reality it is just an analysis of forward/midfield minutes unless you have an obvious outlier freak (Matthews).
Perhaps should be 20/1 seasons or 15/2 seasons combined as the assessment of these players, but that excludes a 19,1.9 season so isn't perfect either as an assessment.

Last edited:

and Bartlett who didn't go forward until he was 32 years old. Of course midfielders used to rest in the pocket back then as there was no interchange (if you went off you stayed off).

20 and 1 in reality is a fairly low bar for midfieldrr
and Bartlett who didn't go forward until he was 32 years old. Of course midfielders used to rest in the pocket back then as there was no interchange (if you went off you stayed off).
Bartlett was an outlier even if not as extreme as Matthews.

More than Martin.

slightly off topic but Toby Greene became the 7th player this season to pass 200 career games while averaging 20+ and 1.5+ goals per game.

Leigh Matthews, John Murphy, Kevin Bartlett, David Clarke, Rodney Ashman & Garry Wilson.

Confirmed. Brent Harvey better than Martin and Ablett Jnr. I’ve seen enough to now declare him the GOAT.

Bob Skilton did it in 4 of his last 6 seasons. Before that disposals were not recorded. He played 9 seasons prior to that averaging over a goal per game in every one of them and I would not be shocked if he averaged over 20 disposals in almost all of those.

Skilton averaged 1.74 goals per game in his career, and if I had to guess by extrapolation from what is known, I would say he would have averaged around 27 disposals at least.

1968 Skilton averaged 32 disposals and 2.1 goals per game.

1959, his first Brownlow year, he averaged 3.75 goals per game, and I would guess a very healthy number of disposals as well, like 25+. He played 16 matches for 60 goals that season. If he had played in the 70's or 80's for a strong team, there is every chance that is a 100 goal season.

His 60 goals were made up game by game as follows:

0 goals = zero
1 goal = zero
2 goals = 3 times
3 goals = 7 times
4 goals = zero
5 goals = 5 times
6 goals = zero
7 goals = zero
8 goals = 1 time

So for the whole season he only every scored 2, 3, 5 or 8 goals in a game. There were only 379 goals scored in total in those 16 matches so Skilton scored 16% of all goals scored in those games that season whilst playing mainly on the ball. Astonishing season. Incredible record.
I haven't included Skilton for the same reason I haven't included Barassi (see my original post).

A few from North

Peter German 6 times
Career average 21.4 and 1.1

Shannon Grant 4 times
Career average 18.3 and 1.2

Jim Krakouer 4 times
Career average 19 and 1.6

Kym Hodgeman 3 times
Career average 21.0 and 1.2

Remove this Banner Ad

20 Disposals and a goal

Remove this Banner Ad