2004 AFL Draft - Pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrath said:
For what it's worth, l think you guys are on the right track. The one comparison l will make is West Coast Eagles. If you look at their strategy over the past 4-5 years, they stock piled quality midfielders, Fletcher, Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Embley, Butler, Waters, and the list goes on. Once they achieved their core 7-8 midfielders who will be driving their team for the next decade, they went about drafting key position players, the likes of McDougall, Hansen, Staker, Lynch, and the like.

You can see their plan unfolding nicely. The main differenc for them and you guys is that they don't bottom out as their home ground advantage gets them wins which you guys (like most teams) don't have the luxury of.

The next few drafts, l think you will find Eade will go for some exciting young KPP's and within 3-4 yrs have a team comparible to the Weagles of today.

Keep the faith, your club is on the right track for mine.

Wrath

:)

Bentleigh said:
Then, however you can argue the West Coast Eagles.

Very much a elite midfeild makes do with a average KPP's and eventully you get the off KPP stepping up who wasnt a top 5 pick.

Bentleigh said:
Fair go.

Judd 21, Cousins 26, Fletcher 25, Kerr 21, Embley 23, Stenglein 24.

Cox 23, Seaby 20, Gardiner 25, Hansen 22, McDougall 21, Gaspar 24, Staker 20

Only a couple blokes aged over 26.

Wouldnt be expecting flags untill 2005 onwards with that list.

We talls but at what cost? We give up the draft's best player for a higher risk?
Who says Franklin will make it? Its April of his first year.

We missed Schammer and Salopek a couple of years back by going a tall option that hasn't performed yet.

SCRAY72 said:
You could have had him at 4.

Happy with Griffen and Williams.

Yes, we could of.

Differnece is Dogs are far further into rebuilding than Richmond. We needed to take the best avabile talent which was beleived to be Tambling and Deledio.

Dogs on the other hand already landed Cooney and Ray with the Murphy, Gilbie types pinned as the midfeilders. I would have thought you may have gone talls but obviously Griffin was seen as too good to pass up.

Bentleigh said:
Ray looks a good player whilst Murphy, Hahn, Gilbee, Giansiracusa and co. will be the clubs engine room for several years to come. Cooney is going to be an outstanding footballer. The bloke which will be a class above.

My 2 cents. :)

Hate to admit it but Murphy, Hahn and Gilbee may never be more than handy, temporary midfielders. Gia I think will make it. Our midfield is far from a sure thing. Those guys have been here 6 years now and only Gia plays regular midfield. If the others were going to be very good future midfielders, they would've shown more by now.
Cooney is 3 games into his second year and shown infinitely more. So to say Griffin is surplus to requirements is overrating our midfield.
Yes, Franklin would be good but he was a risk. IMO, not worth the risk given that our midfield is not finals quality and Griffen just might get it there.

Bentleigh said:
Yes, we could of.

Differnece is Dogs are far further into rebuilding than Richmond. We needed to take the best avabile talent which was beleived to be Tambling and Deledio.

Dogs on the other hand already landed Cooney and Ray with the Murphy, Gilbie types pinned as the midfeilders. I would have thought you may have gone talls but obviously Griffin was seen as too good to pass up.

And your up and coming talls coming through the system are?

SCRAY72 said:
And your up and coming talls coming through the system are?

Pattison, Schultz looks decent.

Hopfully nex draft we will target talls.

Would of loved a Roughead but more than happy to pass him up for Tambling and Deledio.

G-Mo77 said:
Good question. What KPP do Richmond have lined up?

Richmond are struggling KPP wise.

We over looked a couple handy players to get Deledio and Tambling. If you have had a close look at our midfeild I understand why. Hopfully next draft we shall target KPP's.

Pattison looks our future ruckman, Schultz CHB or FF.

Bentleigh said:
Pattison, Schultz looks decent.

Hopfully nex draft we will target talls.

Would of loved a Roughead but more than happy to pass him up for Tambling and Deledio.

We over looked a couple handy players to get Deledio and Tambling. If you have had a close look at our midfeild I understand why. Hopfully next draft we shall target KPP's.

So you are in the same position as us in other words.

Bentleigh said:

I knew of Schultz. Who I think will be a great player for you guys. Once he gets all this TAC crap behind him.

What do you think of Knobel and Simmonds? Ricmond supporters around me yesterday were bagging the hell out of them.

SCRAY72 said:
So you are in the same position as us in other words.

No, I reckon the Dogs are in front of Richmond, a couple years ahead of Richmond development wise.

G-Mo77 said:
I knew of Schultz. Who I think will be a great player for you guys. Once he gets all this TAC crap behind him.

What do you think of Knobel and Simmonds? Ricmond supporters around me yesterday were bagging the hell out of them.

Schultz could be a very good footballer. We need him to come good having so few young kpp's.

Knobel and Simmonds have been average thus far, what I expected.

However Both play important roles. As shyte as Knobel is he has abit on mongral in him and isnt scaryed to use his body. Most ruck contests he can come out at least 50/50. Knobel is vital because he allows Stafford/Simmonds to play forward or rest.

Simmonds took 9 match winning marks against hawks for us. He hasnt been great but gives Richo some releaf up forward by being another tall option. I thought he looked good when playing back and decent in the ruck.

Bit early to make a call on Griffen (everyone was applauding on draft day). When West retires in a couple of years and Griffen is anchoring our midfield with Cooney we might all be congratulating Clayton on his choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bentleigh said:
Should have been Lance Franklin.
It may well end up that way but it is to early to tell.At this stage you would have to say the same about pick 1 aswell given Deledios start (which by the way is nothing to worry about , he is just picking up the pace) compared to Franklins.

Bentleigh said:
Dont be daft boy.

Boy!! What is that? I was just replying to you saying Franklin should have been no 3. I am assuming you are basing that on Franklin showing more than Griffen at this early stage. Well he has shown more than Deledio too at this early stage. If you post expect responses and if you don't agree say why and then a decent discussion can happen. "Don't be daft boy" doesn't cut it on this board.
Be condescending if you like. Then consider how it reflects on you.

HK_Bulldog said:
Hate to admit it but Murphy, Hahn and Gilbee may never be more than handy, temporary midfielders. Gia I think will make it. Our midfield is far from a sure thing. Those guys have been here 6 years now and only Gia plays regular midfield. If the others were going to be very good future midfielders, they would've shown more by now.
Cooney is 3 games into his second year and shown infinitely more. So to say Griffin is surplus to requirements is overrating our midfield.
Yes, Franklin would be good but he was a risk. IMO, not worth the risk given that our midfield is not finals quality and Griffen just might get it there.

Fair point mate.

Dog Town said:
It may well end up that way but it is to early to tell.At this stage you would have to say the same about pick 1 aswell given Deledios start (which by the way is nothing to worry about , he is just picking up the pace) compared to Franklins.

Deledios start has been top notch. Has so much class and composer, abosute wrapped to have a 17 year old of so much talent at Punt Road.

Wouldnt swap him for Franklin nor most players. :)

How has Griffin started? Has he got a game yet?

Turtleman3 said:
Boy!! What is that? I was just replying to you saying Franklin should have been no 3. I am assuming you are basing that on Franklin showing more than Griffen at this early stage.

You'd be wrong then wouldnt you boy?

I havent seen Griffin play yet and am not sure if he has even got a game. I rate the lad very highly. Before draft day I was wishing for Deledio and Griffin at 4... Im not going to complain the way it turned out though.

If you actully read the thread you will see ive based my comment on how I view your list. Cooney, Ray, Hahn, Gilbie and co. I would have thought your future midfeild was fairly good for the next decade.

From what I saw again my side on Sunday your KPP's are poor where Grant and Rawlings getting no younger and Bandy being shyte.

Well he has shown more than Deledio too at this early stage. If you post expect responses and if you don't agree say why and then a decent discussion can happen. "Don't be daft boy" doesn't cut it on this board.
Be condescending if you like. Then consider how it reflects on you.

I dont really care who has shown more after 2/3 games. Hell, I wouldnt be giving the final verdict on the likes of Goddard and Brennan yet but I spose thats just me.

Bentleigh said:
Deledios start has been top notch. Has so much class and composer, abosute wrapped to have a 17 year old of so much talent at Punt Road.

Mate to compare the young talent from one club to another is futile. The fact that each club has its own unique set of circumstances dictates who plays when and for whom.

Lids is a great kid with alot to offer. To imply Griffen is not in the same boat at the Bulldogs because he has not yet got a game is unfair and unreasonable. I am not sure why you come onto our board ask for views then be completely unsatisfied when they are offered up. Do you think you are mental unbalanced or you think it is reasonable that all bulldogs supporters will agree with your views that we picked the wrong player?

Bentleigh said:

Played his first game for Werribee first's on the weekend and was named 2nd best on ground only behind Sam Power who collected 39 possies.

As for your coments Bentleigh about us taking Griffen instead of Franklin, you pointed out that you would think the Tigers will go for some KKP's in the next draft, why wouldn't your team take a Franklin when we all know that KPP's generally take longer to develop than midfielder's so therefor you would want to start your development drafting KPP's then midfielder's.

I can see your team having the same problems as ours in the future, alot of fast midfield types but not enough developed KPP's.

Bentleigh said:

I wouldn't say Deledio's start has quite been top notch, not just yet, didn't do much against us, but having said that and what iv'e seen of him last season he will end up top notch.

As for saying you wouldn't swap him for franklin, the same can be said for Griffen, and once again, i have a bit of this kid play last year and he is a genuine gun and can't wait to see Grif and Coon and Ray dominate the competition in years to come.

Bentleigh said:

Deledio has been passable but he hasn't set the world on fire but nor would you expect him to.He looks a little off the pace at the moment but he will pick that up with the more senior games he plays.Wallace is doing the right thing and playing him even though it has cost you at times.Was furious with Rohdes handling of Cooney last season but Wallace seems to have started better.

Dog Town said:
Deledio has been passable but he hasn't set the world on fire but nor would you expect him to.He looks a little off the pace at the moment but he will pick that up with the more senior games he plays.Wallace is doing the right thing and playing him even though it has cost you at times.Was furious with Rohdes handling of Cooney last season but Wallace seems to have started better.

Deledios start has been top class. Not in terms of stats but what he has shown in repsect to class, skill etc.

He has taken to the game very well. Last week he was directing the likes of Chaffy and Tiv where to go and showing maturing beyond his years. Not bad for a 17 year old.

It hasnt cost us at times. Deledio is easly in our best 22 (sad, isnt it) and its best for both him and the kid to play.

Im very happy with the way Plough has handled the kid thus far.

Great debut. Like I said, he will outstanding.

However, still would have taken Franklin for the Doggies list.

Griffen was outstanding and showed confidence that Cooney doesn't have yet. Cooney doesn't bang those long goals like that but instead opts for the short pass. Like that silly outside of his foot pass that went about 10 metres when we got a centre break and were looking dangerous against West Coast. However Cooney will learn. Griffen appears to be a very solid all round midfielder in the mould of Buckley and Voss. Cooney seems more like Judd, but then again Judd is in a class of his own.

Over the coming years they have the potential to form one of the best midfields in the league. If those two come alright it will lift the players around them like Guido, McMahon, Power and Cross. Then as Wrath pointed out the other pieces hopefully will come together. West Coast are considered one of the favourites to win the premiership this year but they are only just developing some key position players like Hansen and Lynch. It's their midfield that has dominated games for them and hopefully we can do the same in the future.

I would love to have Franklin in the team at the moment but I don't think we can go wrong with Griffen.

Nightwolf_69 said:
Ok so its the Doggies mistake for not taking Buddy, but Richmond can do no wrong wit taking Tambling? :confused:

No one made a mistake...we'll not yet!

Buddy Franklin has been good and showed plenty but Tambling and Griffen have hardly kicked a ball in anger yet!

Its the perfect argument but they are 4 games into a 10+ year career so hold your horses on that.

From watching all TAC Cup matches, most on tape and seeing all the Championship games and some WAFL, QAFL and SANFL games on tapes everything went to plan id say for all teams.

Griffen will be a deadset champion, a consistant superstar.

Tambling will be (as Michael Long has said numerous amounts of times) one of if not the best aboriginal player of all....

So all clubs will be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 AFL Draft - Pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back