2004 AFL Draft - Pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bentleigh said:
Nightwolf_69 said:
Ok so its the Doggies mistake for not taking Buddy

Bingo.

Bulldogs mids are far more developed.

It looks like to me, that you are just tryna take this attention away from Richmond, who probably should have taken Buddy at 4.
At least Doggies took a KPP with one of their top picks, Richmond didnt..

Nightwolf_69 said:
Bentleigh said:
It looks like to me, that you are just tryna take this attention away from Richmond, who probably should have taken Buddy at 4.
At least Doggies took a KPP with one of their top picks, Richmond didnt..

Doggies 'big year of rebulding was' 2003. With 2 high picks they scored Cooney and Ray.

Richmond however needed to target midfeilders, similar to Dogs '03.

Richmond 'probably should have taken' Tambling at 4.

:)

Dog Town said:
Was furious with Rohdes handling of Cooney last season but Wallace seems to have started better.

Why were you furious? There was a story on Cooney a few weeks back where he said Rohde handled him well last season because as Cooney himself admitted he had puppy fat and could not spend a great deal of time on the field. In another story (or possibly the same one, not sure) Eade also praised how Rohder handled Cooney in his first season. And looking at how Cooney's going now it seems to me like he's been handled pretty bloody well. We can't blame Rohde for everything thats happened the last 2 years

And as for Griffen/Franklin KPP's like Franklin don't grow on trees but neither do big bodied midfielders like Griffen. Midfielders of Griffen's size are the way of the future and having his size in the midfield is gonna be a big help to us. And Dogs fans of all people should know its not smart to compare young players this early after the crap Cooney copped last year.

Im perfectly happy to have Griffen regardless of what Franklin has done over 2 or 3 weeks. John Georgiadies kicked about 8 on debut

The_Flying_Egg said:
Why were you furious? There was a story on Cooney a few weeks back where he said Rohde handled him well last season because as Cooney himself admitted he had puppy fat and could not spend a great deal of time on the field. In another story (or possibly the same one, not sure) Eade also praised how Rohder handled Cooney in his first season. And looking at how Cooney's going now it seems to me like he's been handled pretty bloody well. We can't blame Rohde for everything thats happened the last 2 years

And as for Griffen/Franklin KPP's like Franklin don't grow on trees but neither do big bodied midfielders like Griffen. Midfielders of Griffen's size are the way of the future and having his size in the midfield is gonna be a big help to us. And Dogs fans of all people should know its not smart to compare young players this early after the crap Cooney copped last year.

Im perfectly happy to have Griffen regardless of what Franklin has done over 2 or 3 weeks. John Georgiadies kicked about 8 on debut
Yeah I am aware of what Eade and Cooney have said but you would expect them to say that.My problem was that in a year that was supposed to be for development Rohde would take Cooney off everytime he was going alright and I dont care what anyone says there is no way Cooney would have been out of gas in some of those games.The north game and the crows game where he started well in the middle he was off after about 10 minutes and was still finding the footy when he was taken off.He had obvious fitness problems but I dont see how playing on the bench or in the forward pocket is helping that.You play footy yourself Egg and would know there is nothing like match fitness.It was a year when we were never going to play finals and I wouldn't have cared if Rohde ran Cooney to a stand still.He might have had some bad games being played for long periods in the midfield but if we had of gone that way then he would now have close to 30 games of midfield experience instead of the 7 or 8 that he has.Given that we finished 3rd last anyway I dont see any reason why that would have hurt us.All dead and buried now anyway.I dont blame Rohde for everything that has happened but to me that was a mistake.

Hawthorn did the right thing and have recruited Dunstall and Brereton for the next decade. Great teams are built around KPPs. We recruited more of the same with Griffen.

But if you want to criticise drafting...what about Walsh, McMahon and Power being our first picks over the last few years, duds and more duds. At least Walsh was a big body...

And trading...

Everyone seems to have blotted out that we could have had Kepler Bradley in 2003. Also Trent Croad another CHB was available that year. Imagine Bradely or Croad CHB, Harris FB... the beginnings of a spine!!

And here is really lateral, if we had let Rawlins go to North in 2003, that may have meant Ottens or Nathan Thompson were more available last trade...as North wouldn't have traded as aggressively for size...

20/20 Hindsight some may say, but this nothing I did not say at the time the 03 trades went through.

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 AFL Draft - Pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back