2004 AFL Rising Star Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by lamby29
Nice try. :p

Anyway, I don't rate Salopek all that highly. Good player and all, but not in the same class as Goddard, Wells and Brennan.

Tim Walsh from the Dogs might be an outside chance.

Walsh will be lucky to play 7 games. Way too skinny, way too raw. He can play, but I get the slight inkling they jumped the gun on him last year.

I rate Salopek pretty highly, and his first year he showed much more than Brennan IMO (except holding the ball in one hand!!!! ). Probably doesn't have the game busting potential of the other three, but he will be a very good footballer IMO.

Originally posted by no1bankteller
I think you can be nominated again as long as you have not played more then 11 games overall...

He's out anyway then.

PLayed about 22 games I think.

Who are the best chances from this years crop of draftees???

Who are the ones from last year and the year before who are still eligable???

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Walsh will be lucky to play 7 games. Way too skinny, way too raw. He can play, but I get the slight inkling they jumped the gun on him last year.

I rate Salopek pretty highly, and his first year he showed much more than Brennan IMO (except holding the ball in one hand!!!! ). Probably doesn't have the game busting potential of the other three, but he will be a very good footballer IMO.
Tim Walsh - the next Luke Molan?

I didn't see a lot of of Salopek this year, but he doesn't seem to have the same amount of potential as Goddard, Wells (he's won me over BTW) and Brennan.

I could be wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i reckon Staker is a great roughie bet to win the Rising Star.

but to early now, who knows what could happen.

Of all the award, this is by far the hardest to predict the winner this far out.

Originally posted by Falconer02
Brent Moloney or Kane Tenace are our best options.
what is that Tim Walsh guy like, he went #4 in the last draft so may be a chance.
Goes alright.

Played mostly school footy last year, as Luke Ball did the year before. 196cm CHF, but skinny. Played about 8-10 games with Werribee and was looking a chance at a game before he broke a bone in his ankle (which I think Lamby might be referring to).

Rhode has already said he expects him to play firsts next year.

So far the most mentioned have been:
Sylvia
Salopek
Cooney
J.Brennan
Tenace
Staker
Faulkner
Winderlich
Dunn
Waters
Bradley

What about Walker,Ray,McLean and Clarke?????????????

Originally posted by dees_best

Ray

Ray will play very little first football next year.

he's a very talented player - in terms of genuine ability possibly the most talented player in the draft. But he requires a lot of hard work and effort from the coaching panel, and was a huge risk at number 4.

I seriously couldn't work out the reasoning behind the Bulldogs wanting him - they have millions of small talented midfielders in need of serious gym work. He's another to add to the list.

I don't think he'll play regularly senior footy until at least half way through 2005, but probably not until 2006.

He, along with Kep Bradley, probably have the biggest upside of anyone in the draft IMO.

Originally posted by lamby29
I didn't see a lot of of Salopek this year, but he doesn't seem to have the same amount of potential as Goddard, Wells (he's won me over BTW) and Brennan.

I could be wrong though.

Depends what you look for in terms of 'potential'. Salopek doesn't have the flair of a Wells, Goddard or Brennan, but he's under every pack, finds the footy and generally makes good decisions. It's a pity that he got buried in a very good Port midfield.

Has anyone mentioned Brett Ebert? Saw a picture of him in the paper today and he looks as though he has an AFL-ready body. A very talented player.

In terms of the Roos - Watson will get nominated, Hale, Firrito and Urch are possiblities. From our rookies LeCras is easily the most AFL ready, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sansbury make his debut either as he's played against mature age players at CD. That would seemingly depend on Jez Clayton's development and whether or not we nab Shane Harvey however.

Originally posted by Petrie Dish
Depends what you look for in terms of 'potential'. Salopek doesn't have the flair of a Wells, Goddard or Brennan, but he's under every pack, finds the footy and generally makes good decisions. It's a pity that he got buried in a very good Port midfield.

Has anyone mentioned Brett Ebert? Saw a picture of him in the paper today and he looks as though he has an AFL-ready body. A very talented player.

2 damn fine points.

Salopek won't be the player sprinting away with the ball tucked under his arm, nor will he taking a screamer. But he is continually under the packs and does know how to use it. He's the guy that gets the ball to a Wells or Brennan.

And on Ebert, quietly quietly ;)

I'm going with Salopek. He will be a very good footballer. I don't think he will get to Goddard or Wells level next season, but I think he'll be twice the player Brennan is.

It would be interesting to see in what year of their AFL career and how old the player was when they won the Rising star

I think Kosi and Buckley won it straight up (1st year player 17 years old) while Mitchell was a bit older

Can anyone put together a list of players who have won with their age and how many years they had been playing when they won it ?

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 AFL Rising Star Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back