2008 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neon's omission is an absolute farce, then again battlers the like of Daniel Pratt make such squads. The AA Selection should be how the Seppos do the All Star games for the MLB.

You always get an idiot pumping up someone who plays a good finals game. AA home and away. Leon good player but nowhere near top 40. God bless you and your one eyed kind.

Re: My all australian line up!!

B: T. Harley (captain) - Scarlett - S. Fisher
HB: C. Enright - N. Bock - D. Morris
C: M. Richardson - J. Bartel - J. Corey
HF: N. Riewoldt - M. Pavlich (vice-captain) - B. Harvey
F: L. Franklin - B. Fevola - D. Motlop
Foll: D. Cox - G. Ablett - A. Cooney
Int: L. Hodge, A. Sandilands, D. Milburn, S. Mitchell

Saw a lot of footy this season and its a damn good squad. With everyone wanting their own guys in there is no way to please the mob on the whole. Good spread of the best KPP's, rucks and rovers.
I like the idea of picking Petrie as #2 ruck coz with Cox at #1 his tapwork isnt vital..but he increases the strength of the bench dramatically as a Utility to cover KP possies as well as a mobile ruck...effectively enables an extra midfeilder to be rotated off the bench. If chosen i reckon the team would be stronger than simply going for a #2 tap ruckman that provides no other coverage. Utilities on the bench are golden.
Havent liked Cooney's second half of the season at all...bench at best for mine.
Picking Hodge as a defender is a sign they are looking to find a slot for him somewhere.
I reckon they'll go with Harley as a BP and captain.
To me Scarlett/Bock/Fisher should be the first 3 defenders picked and the rest chosen around them. Choices of Morris/Harley/Milburn/Hudghton/Enright/Hodge to fill the other 3.

Re: Is Leon a chance for AA this Year?

Well you just made a fool of yourself. Fisher is a gun defender.

No argument here.... agreed he's a gun defender. Just making a point that Fisher would get a hell of alot more 'cheap possessions in the backline' than Leon Davis.

When do you see Leon in the back half? Very rarely.

Get a clue..... FOOL!

My final team:

B: Tom Harley (c); Matthew Scarlett; Dale Morris
HB: Sam Fisher; Nathan Bock; Luke Hodge
C: Matthew Richardson; Sam Mitchell; Joel Corey
HF: Ryan O'Keefe; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Steve Johnson
F: Brent Harvey; Lance Franklin; Brendan Fevola
R: Dean Cox; Gary Ablett; Jimmy Bartel
INT: Drew Petrie; Simon Black; Adam Cooney; Matthew Pavlich

EMG: Corey Enright; Joel Selwood; Paul Medhurst

I'm happy with the backline but I get the feeling that they will stack it with Geelong players.
I'm 100% sure Judd will make the official team but I don't think he has earn't it for lack of consistency. Sam Mitchell's season seems to be underated alot within this thread he has been the best centreman this season and his clearance work is excellent. Selwood is another who I think will make it but I have Cooney (just) and Black ahead of him. Kirk just behind Selwood.
Agree with Bollox in regards to Petrie. I think Sandilands will get the spot because he's a 7ft tap ruckman but I don't rate the giant.
Of the forward line ROK probably has the biggest question mark. I think he has had an excellent season and he finished near the top 10 in most media awards so people have recognised how good he's been. I can also see Brown being chosen ahead of Pavlich because of the media scrutiny on Pav's kicking in pressure moments. He carries that team and can't be faulted just for those moments.

No argument here.... agreed he's a gun defender. Just making a point that Fisher would get a hell of alot more 'cheap possessions in the backline' than Leon Davis.

When do you see Leon in the back half? Very rarely.

Get a clue..... FOOL!

WTF?? I didn't make the comment about Davis. I think he earns his possessions and has definately improved in that aspect this year.
I was just arguing your comeback about Fisher.

WTF?? I didn't make the comment about Davis. I think he earns his possessions and has definately improved in that aspect this year.
I was just arguing your comeback about Fisher.

Yes mate. But I never said Fisher couldnt play footy. Most premier defenders get their half dozen 'cheap posies' in the back half. My point was Leon aint one of them.

:thumbsu:

My final team:

B: Tom Harley (c); Matthew Scarlett; Dale Morris
HB: Sam Fisher; Nathan Bock; Luke Hodge
C: Matthew Richardson; Sam Mitchell; Joel Corey
HF: Ryan O'Keefe; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Steve Johnson
F: Brent Harvey; Lance Franklin; Brendan Fevola
R: Dean Cox; Gary Ablett; Jimmy Bartel
INT: Drew Petrie; Simon Black; Adam Cooney; Matthew Pavlich

EMG: Corey Enright; Joel Selwood; Paul Medhurst

Thats the strongest they could field from the squad i reckon...agree with it entirely other than swapping Harvey and Steve Johnsons slots on the paddock.
They will likely find a slot for another Geelong back for the hellovit..Milburn/Enright but wont make it stronger.
They often like to pick the best 2 KP defenders on the last line so Hudghton might be a chance of a pocket.
Medhurst will likely make it to stop the Pies whinging about how few they get selected :D..might be bench but might be in place of SJohnson who knows.
Got a feeling Pavlich will make CHF and Riewoldt onto the bench..but Riewoldt at CHF makes it stronger i reckon.
Petrie at #2 helps the balance but some of those seelctors are in love with Sandilands.
Simon Black/Brett Kirk neck and neck for a spot. OKeefe might miss due to carrying niggles for last part of the season.

Solid team that...can vary a few but i reckon you're about 90% on the money...as good as can get.
Monday night they announce it i think.

How many '08 All-Australians for Geelong?

SportingBet has released odds on how many Geelong players will be All-Australians when it is announced next week.

2vnhwme.jpg

At a guess:

Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Scarlett, Selwood, Enright, Harley...

Chapman possibly, although he missed five games due to injury. Ling possibly also. Mackie missed the first six weeks of the season, so that might play against him. There's no way you can fit Mooney in this year, and Steve Johnson hasn't been as consistent this year. Milburn is another one to consider, but he struggled with injury for a bit of the season and hasn't been as good as his 2007 All-Australian year.

Seven players sounds about right, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: How many '08 All-Australians for Geelong?

S. Johnson will be in before Enright. He has had a better year than last year and has been copping tags most weeks.

Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Scarlett, Selwood, S. Johnson, Harley (c)

Ablett, Scarlett, Harley, Bartel, Johnson, Corey are definates for mine.
I wouldn't be surprised if Selwood, Milburn or Enright made it.
If Mackie or Chapman make it I would be surprised.
Ling isn't in the squad so the guy who said that, wake up.

Between 6-9

Does the Final AA team include emergencies as well...so a team of 25? Or is it the best 22?

The difference in odds between 6 and 7 players is so big that it suggests to me that they're in the know.

Also, i can't see us getting 3 less players in the team this year, given we've won 4 more games than we did in 2007.

Last year's team shouldn't be compared in regards to the number of Geelong players. Each player should get selected based on performances regardless for which team they play for. Just because Geelong are a good team doesn't mean every player is AA standard.

Each player should get selected based on performances regardless for which team they play for. Just because Geelong are a good team doesn't mean every player is AA standard.

Whoa, you're jumping to quite a few conclusions there mate.

All i said was that i can't see us having three less players picked this year, given we went 21-1.
I didn't say (or even suggest) that players should be picked based on who they play for, or that every Geelong player is AA standard.
Where you got that from, i do not know.

FWIW I think Ablett, Bartel, Scarlett, Corey, and Steve Johnson are certainties.
I believe Harley, Enright and Selwood deserve it, but think they'll all be borderline.
I can't see Milburn or Mackie making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back