Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

First rd based on what the clubs would take today (not considering how their drafting may have changed after this). So not the top 18 per se, but the best 18 for fit today
1-Hanneberry - Dees would take the best mid in this list. a tough call b/w a few names here.
2-NicNat - Cant see why the eagles would change this pick, even for schuey
3-Hurley - The perfect CHF answer for the dockers in this draft
4-Hartlett. would port take the risk on the injury prone gun? my guess is yes. too good to pass up.
5-Zaharakis - B&F winner and forward/mid with a ton of run.
6-Beams - Best player available. Would have him in the Carlton 22 before either of Yarran or Garlett.
7-Rockliff - tough call for the lions between the players they have (Rich, Redden and Rockliff) and the talent available. not many i would trade rocklike for though
8-Ballantyne - Best small forward available for the tiger.
9-Sidebottom - tough call for the roos. the bash and crash of ziebell or the class of sidebottom. if it were my pick, i would go with class.
10-Sloane - local boy for the crows and an absolute jet.
11-Walters - Best small forward available. Would readily replace Krakouer
12-Suckling - Hard to pick what the swans would need most. With Hanneberry gone, perhaps a midfielder, but Suckling off half back is too good to turn up
13-Breust - Lack of small forward options at the saints would lead me to one of the more consistent small forwards in the comp.
14-Garlett - Best small forward left and a major gap for the dogs. With falls and stronger mid-height forwards in abundance, a quick, classy crumbing small forward would complete their setup
15-Ziebell - Hard nut, bash and crash midfielder - fits the mould and a steal at 15 for Geelong.
16-Schuey - Pack breaking run and good as an inside mid. Would have him in the top 10 overall by a mile.

bit of a different spin.
Would put Hurley at about 11 and Schuey in his spot. Ziebell at 12 and everyone moves down a spot.
Good list, I like your view on it

I love Zaka but no way he deserves to be rated ahead of Beams.

Perhaps i should have bolded the bit where i said i didn't rate him ahead of Beams. Just that i thought if the draft was done today, with what we know and the current lists, that essendon would probably still take Zaka over Beams. Not because he is the better player, but because he a) suits the clubs needs better, and b) has won a B&F and the club was always keen on him.

Perhaps i should have bolded the bit where i said i didn't rate him ahead of Beams. Just that i thought if the draft was done today, with what we know and the current lists, that essendon would probably still take Zaka over Beams. Not because he is the better player, but because he a) suits the clubs needs better, and b) has won a B&F and the club was always keen on him.
Not a chance. You are a dreamer

about?
Zaka went into our leadership group within a couple of years of joining the club.
We took Zaka ahead of Beams when the option was there in 2008.
Right now he isn't the better player and he wasn't rated the better player coming into the draft.
Yet essendon still took him

With that logic, why isn't feasible that the same outcome would occur?

about?
Zaka went into our leadership group within a couple of years of joining the club.
We took Zaka ahead of Beams when the option was there in 2008.
Right now he isn't the better player and he wasn't rated the better player coming into the draft.
Yet essendon still took him

With that logic, why isn't feasible that the same outcome would occur?

Because if essendon had the choice right now they would surely take the much better player.

Its not feasible to take the lesser player because the supporters are attached to him.

Because if essendon had the choice right now they would surely take the much better player.

Its not feasible to take the lesser player because the supporters are attached to him.

but we did in 08. Beams was a massively rated player. He wasn't supposed to last the first round. He made it to pick 29.
If thats the case, then Beams goes higher. But as i have said, its not about who the better player is. I re-did the list based on who i think the clubs would take. Beams is better than Hurley, Hartlett, Zaka, and even NicNat.
Given the choice, I don't see the eagles taking him over NicNat, the Dockers missing the chance at a strong CHF/CHB, Port not taking Hartlett and the Dons not taking Zaka. Despite Beams being the better player.
We have Beams-types. What Zaka gives us is pace and goal sense. Beams is more in the elite disposal, full-time mid basket.

It actually makes some sense. Zaka is practically Essendon's only player who has a good mix of outside speed and inside ball winning ability.

Vickery should not be as well. End of the day - Beams, NicNat and Haneberry have played at such a high level they are now All Australian’s. They have proved they can play at a high level over an entire season.

Actually performance >>>>>>>> potential performance.

Hurley. Yeah I agree although if you were redoing the draft I could see Carlton taking Hurley and plonking him at CHB.

Zaha's a good player, but he's a step down from Beams mate, I don't think we'd swap Beams for 2 Zahas TBH, players like Beams are hard to find where players like Zaha less so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3129&tid2=5&pid2=3135&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Beams is ahead in literally every single statistic, he even has more frees for and less frees against!

Point is that every team would take Beams before Zaharakis, every single team.
Very slightly ahead, but Zaharakis is much quicker and runs with the ball more, which is an area where we are sorely lacking. Beams may be better, although I don't think he is, but we would defiantely still take Zaharakis ahead of him.

We have Beams-types. What Zaka gives us is pace and goal sense. Beams is more in the elite disposal, full-time mid basket.

Except Zaharakis (73 goals from 87 games) isn't any more of a goalkicker and doesn't have any more "goal sense" than Beams (95 goals from 91 games) does.

Very slightly ahead, but Zaharakis is much quicker and runs with the ball more, which is an area where we are sorely lacking. Beams may be better, although I don't think he is, but we would defiantely still take Zaharakis ahead of him.
Beams has averaged 30 touches over the last 2 years. That is at another level - an extra 8 touches puts him a long way in front. It's not close. His AA year was incredible. Zaka has never reached that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back