2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Johnson has had a good year so far, not great but still good.. and seems to be getting better every week and has found an extra yard of pace again!
He has been pretty good this year. Solid. Hasn't had many stand out games but has found enough of the ball to be considered having a good season. Higgins and Aker have probably had more match winning moments/influence, but Johnson has been pretty consistent. Dogs seem to be getting a pretty consistent output from their medium forwards. Gia, Higgins, Johnson and Aker have all been very good this year. Hahn a bit down on last years form and Murphy has been struggling with injuries.

From Carlton, I would be considering.

Waite and Bower in the backline
Judd and Murphy in the midfielde
Fevola and Betts in the forward line

Obviously Waite is ruled out now as he misses the rest of the season, but Bower has been nothing short of superb lately. The others speak for themselves really (besides Betts' last few weeks).

From Carlton, I would be considering.

Waite and Bower in the backline
Judd and Murphy in the midfielde
Fevola and Betts in the forward line

Obviously Waite is ruled out now as he misses the rest of the season, but Bower has been nothing short of superb lately. The others speak for themselves really (besides Betts' last few weeks).

what... hahahahahah yeah he should be in the side if we want to lose by 10 goals.

what... hahahahahah yeah he should be in the side if we want to lose by 10 goals.
I don't think Bower is AA material, but he is definitely having an underrated season. Has kept a few of the big names quiet. I remember giving votes to him in the Hawthorn game when he kept Buddy to having little impact. He worries me when he gets the ball in his hands because he isn't the best decision maker, but that will come with time. Can't really fault his defensive efforts though. Underrated player this year, but their would be others ahead of him for the AA positions.

Not AA at the moment but he's a lot sounder with the ball in his arms than he looks. Looks like a deer caught in the headlights when he gets the ball - or a startled emu as some on the Carlton board like to call him but more often than not the ball ends up in the hands of a teammate.

There's a method to Bower's madness. :D

Not AA at the moment but he's a lot sounder with the ball in his arms than he looks. Looks like a deer caught in the headlights when he gets the ball - or a startled emu as some on the Carlton board like to call him but more often than not the ball ends up in the hands of a teammate.

Sounds a lot like a certain Sydney player that will remain nameless (but only because it would take too long to type). :)

I reckon theres 3 criteria for AA and 3 different teams.

The AA as chosen now - on current form and ability (or should be)

The "Rep" AA - the best players based on career achievements, reputation and how they would play in a big game

The Trade Value AA - the younger up and comers based on how much opposition teams would give up to secure them

Obviously a player could be in all 3 teams - like Buddy last year, or Juddy 3 years ago - more credo if he is !

^^Don't think the last one really makes sense. It should only be current ability and form. Obviously the selectors have included some players on reputation. That's where this whole scenario of having to play two good seasons to make the AA team came about.

He is a turn over merchant. Also even if he wasnt a turn over merchent are there any quality forwards in the comp who you think he could beat on his own. I think not.

Maybe we should follow the lead, and all make ridiculous nominations for AA. I nominate Jake King and Kane Pettifer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a turn over merchant. Also even if he wasnt a turn over merchent are there any quality forwards in the comp who you think he could beat on his own. I think not.

Maybe we should follow the lead, and all make ridiculous nominations for AA. I nominate Jake King and Kane Pettifer.
Don't be a wank. Bower has improved a lot this season. While he isn't AA material he his better than than most hacks. Quality forward? I'll raise you a Lance Franklin and Matthew Pavlich who he beat earlier in the year. I saw him play pretty well against Sydney. Was probably Carlton's best against Adelaide.
You trying to be funny just shows how little you know about football. A lot of people would fall into the same category as you but if you actually understand the development of players you would know he is one of the most improved players in the comp.

Don't be a wank. Bower has improved a lot this season. While he isn't AA material he his better than than most hacks. Quality forward? I'll raise you a Lance Franklin and Matthew Pavlich who he beat earlier in the year. I saw him play pretty well against Sydney. Was probably Carlton's best against Adelaide.
You trying to be funny just shows how little you know about football. A lot of people would fall into the same category as you but if you actually understand the development of players you would know he is one of the most improved players in the comp.

Couldn't have said it better, Aussie. It irks me how little credit younger players get from some supporters and how quickly they're written off. Cracking into the AA team isn't an easy feat and Bower's not quite there yet but he has clearly been Carlton's best defender this season, excluding the injured Waite.

Don't be a wank. Bower has improved a lot this season. While he isn't AA material he his better than than most hacks. Quality forward? I'll raise you a Lance Franklin and Matthew Pavlich who he beat earlier in the year...

Did Bower even play on Pavlich?

Did Bower even play on Pavlich?
When he was in the forward line he did. After that match I remember saying to a mate he had done very well on two superstars two weeks in a row. I'm pretty sure it was including the Freo match because the week before he definitely played on Franklin and did very well. I might be wrong. Overall though he has improved.

I would have Andrew Lovett in. One for the future is definately Tayte Pears. He is having a great season, in just his second year.
Dempsey is another who is playing well this year. Lovett is close if you consider him in the forward category as a HF running up the ground, but if you classify him as a midfielder then I'd have him behind at least 5-6 other players for that category. Realistically he's a midfielder, but I'd try and squeeze him in somewhere because he's having a good season.

When he was in the forward line he did. After that match I remember saying to a mate he had done very well on two superstars two weeks in a row. I'm pretty sure it was including the Freo match because the week before he definitely played on Franklin and did very well. I might be wrong. Overall though he has improved.

Definitely played on Pav when he was in the forward and had Buddy goal-less at 3/4 time and Buddy ended up kicking 2.

I would give 300:1 that Bower will not get in the all australian top 50 and imo anyone willing to take me up on it would be a complete moron

I don't think he will be either but you were being a w***er by making it sound like he's a crap player.

Ok. All I was trying to say was that he is not a good player, and certainly not in the top 50. Average player at best. It is had to stay composed though when some (not all) Carlton posters think he should be in. I honestly think that Carlton would have 14 or 15 better players than him in their starting line up and imo they are short on depth.

Ok. All I was trying to say was that he is not a good player, and certainly not in the top 50. Average player at best. It is had to stay composed though when some (not all) Carlton posters think he should be in. I honestly think that Carlton would have 14 or 15 better players than him in their starting line up and imo they are short on depth.

Shows how little you know about our list, then.

And show me these Carlton posters who think he should be in the AA team.

Carlton board votes after 11 rounds:

LEADER BOARD AFTER ELEVEN ROUNDS:
1. Chris Judd (35)
2. Marc Murphy (32)
3. Jarrad Waite (16)
4. Brendan Fevola (13)
5. Matthew Kreuzer (12)
6. Paul Bower (11)
7. Bryce Gibbs (10)
8. Kade Simpson (9)
=9. Nick Stevens (6)
=9. Richard Hadley (6)