2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did on Friday night, but the majority of the season he has had an opponent.
Yeh I'm probably just pissed off that I have Fisher in my DT and Gilbert is taking away Fisher's points. :p

I'm just going by the 4 St.Kilda games I've been to this year.

Gilbert has had the most space out of any defender in the Saints team this year.

All-Australian Team after Round 11:
B:
Josh Drummond Matthew Scarlett Craig Bolton
HB: Corey Enright Sam Fisher Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna Joel Selwood Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis Nick Riewoldt Cyril Rioli
F: Steve Johnson Lance Franklin Paul Chapman
R: Dean Cox Chris Judd Gary Ablett
INT: Sam Gilbert Lenny Hayes Aaron Sandilands Brendan Fevola

EMG: Simon Prestgiacomo Matthew Boyd Jonathan Brown

Buddy is not AA FF at this stage imo, he would need to turn it around a fair margin to be considered in my books.
Probably not. But he wouldn't have to turn it around too much, simply because no one else has been a standout. It will be one of Fevola, Brown, Franklin, Tredrea or Roughead. None of them have really jumped out this season.

All-Australian Team after Round 11:
B: Josh Drummond Matthew Scarlett Craig Bolton
HB: Corey Enright Sam Fisher Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna Joel Selwood Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis Nick Riewoldt Cyril Rioli
F: Steve Johnson Lance Franklin Paul Chapman
R: Dean Cox Chris Judd Gary Ablett
INT: Sam Gilbert Lenny Hayes Aaron Sandilands Brendan Fevola

EMG: Simon Prestgiacomo Matthew Boyd Jonathan Brown

i wouldn't have fisher, buddy and maybe not bolton imo. Watson should at least be an emergency i rekon. not sure who to replace the others with, but lecras should be there too.

Cox doesnt deserve to be in. Sandilands number 1 ruck.
Marc Murphy should get a gig. He is below Ablett / Judd etc as an onballer, on par with a Pendlebury. But he has kicked 20 plus goals. This puts him alongside some of the guys being considered in the forward line.
Fev and Buddy do not deserve a spot yet. Roo and Brown are the standout big forwards.

I don't see all the fuss about Murphy kicking goals. There are more damaging midfielders so far this season. He has been good and would make the squad but I still think he's behind 7-8 others.

I don't see all the fuss about Murphy kicking goals. There are more damaging midfielders so far this season. He has been good and would make the squad but I still think he's behind 7-8 others.

Goalkicking mids are rare. If that was all he did, then he would be a forward. But he is a genuine mid who gets most of his disposals in the centre and backhalf. I would have him in my top 22.
Gotta love opinions. It keeps this forum ticking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goalkicking mids are rare. If that was all he did, then he would be a forward. But he is a genuine mid who gets most of his disposals in the centre and backhalf. I would have him in my top 22.
Gotta love opinions. It keeps this forum ticking.
I'm not that against it because I have him in the best dozen this season. I just think their have been better midfielders this season. Judd, Ablett, Montagna and Hayes are near locks at the moment. Dal Santo should make it on his blistering start to the season and he has picked up form again over the past 2-3 weeks. Selwood next but we will wait and see how he goes next week. Then it starts to get tricky. Pendlebury, Boyd and Sewell would be ahead of Murphy and would probably be fighting for the last bench spot. You could squeeze another midfielder onto the bench but I don't like having 3 midfielders along with a backup ruck. Also, some would probably have Goodes ahead of those mentioned, I thought he was a bit inconsistent during the first few rounds. If he plays another blinder against Collingwood then I would have to put him in the side.

From the Dogs who should be close

Matty Boyd another great season has had no less then 20 touches per game.

Daniel Cross same as Boyd only 1 game less then 20 touches

Dale Morris hasn't been beaten, has to be very close to the best 6 backs in the comp.

Liam Picken?? is there a better stopper going around ATM, Prob wont make it but worth a look.

As for Cooney Higgins Griffen will depend on their 2nd half of the seasons

From the Dogs who should be close

Matty Boyd another great season has had no less then 20 touches per game.

Daniel Cross same as Boyd only 1 game less then 20 touches

Dale Morris hasn't been beaten, has to be very close to the best 6 backs in the comp.

Liam Picken?? is there a better stopper going around ATM, Prob wont make it but worth a look.

As for Cooney Higgins Griffen will depend on their 2nd half of the seasons
Boyd is having a very good season and would go close. I don't think Cross has been AA standard. Not damaging enough with his disposals. Similar to Priddis. Don't agree with Morris, I think he has struggled to reach the heights of last season.
In regards to Picken, he has been good, but Jackson, A.Selwood, C.Jones and Ling would probably be ahead if you want to pick a tagger.
Higgins is in my squad of 40, I think he's having a very good year. Aker and Lake close. Harbrow has impressed off the HB line as well.

Boyd is having a very good season and would go close. I don't think Cross has been AA standard. Not damaging enough with his disposals. Similar to Priddis. Don't agree with Morris, I think he has struggled to reach the heights of last season.
In regards to Picken, he has been good, but Jackson, A.Selwood, C.Jones and Ling would probably be ahead if you want to pick a tagger.
Higgins is in my squad of 40, I think he's having a very good year. Aker and Lake close. Harbrow has impressed off the HB line as well.

Agree, but should be close to being in that 40 player squad.

How I rate the midfielders at the moment (not including Goodes, Davis, Higgins, Goddard or Davey, because I might have them in the forward or defenders category).

1. Montagna
2. Ablett
3. Judd
4. Hayes
5. Dal Santo
6. Selwood
7. Sewell
8. Pendlebury
9. Boyd
10. Murphy
11. Mitchell
12. Watson
13. Bartel
14. Swan
15. Edwards
16. A.Selwood
17. S.Thompson
18. J.Bolton
19. Power
20. Kirk
21. Stanton
22. Jackson
23. Black
24. Winderlich
25. Sylvia

I'm probably forgetting someone, but they would all definitely be ahead of Picken. I'm sure there are others as well. I'm not trying to shoot you down by saying Picken is no chance, it's just that realistically he wont make it.

Daniel Jackson will be in the first squad and that is a given, and I wouldn’t be surprised he makes the final. His List of scalps this year is sensational. (as a tagger hasn’t been beaten and averages 24 touches) Interesting tonight on footy classified, it was unanimous that if the AA was picked on the last months form alone Richard Tambling would be a certainty. Long way to go yet for it to take shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back