2010 AFL Grand Final St Kilda vs Collingwood 25/9/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

That change has been made simply to accommodate Leigh Brown in the ruck around the ground imo... which is pretty soft by us.... If anyone has noticed Blake has gone from 100% game time to about 75% so far this finals series... He's been a key to our backline all year but not this final series he's been a floating around.... If anyone remembers he was extremely good in the ruck.. has a great leap mobile around the ground.... But the 2 ruckman for us has worked well all year and why make one change because of one shit collingwood player?????

I have the same thought that there may be a late change.... but i hope its not grammy or Dal... Feel so sorry for Macca he's had a great year.

Blake to play on Brown all day, I like this move...

with Gardy and McEvoy, i hate to say it, but we're a bit top heavy and slow versus the mosquito fleet at Collingwood

While I am convinced their will be late changes, on the surface this could work. Collingwood actualy lose flexibility with their inclusions, StKilda gain a lot.

The Pies don't have the tallest forward line, so having Blake follow Brown is good for us

be positive people

i am stoked kingy has signed on as a coach. :)

Getting off topic, but I think we will have great flexibility in the future ( couple of years ) with our ruckmen. McEvoy number one ruck. Stanley, ruckman with the ability to hold a key forward position. Geartner , key back with the ability to ruck. McGrath - still an interesting prospect over the long term?

Wow didn't see that change coming, very tough on McEvoy who I thought has been playing quite well. I guess we have Kosi and Blake who can play back up ruck to help out Gardiner and it gives us another smaller runner which will be handy.

Great to see Baker back in too, need him to shut down either Didak or Davis and he will ruffle a few feathers and give us that intimidation factor.

Quite happy to see Davis and Presti included for the Pies. Davis usually goes missing in big games and Presti hasn't played in 6 weeks and will be a bit rusty. Riewoldt should be able to give him the run around.

2 monsters in there forward line (cloke and dawes). We only really have dawson now that can take a monster. Blake may have lined up on one of the 2 but now that leaves one of our backmen very undersized

I won't believe that's the 22 that run out until they run out.....

......but.

Collingwood don't have a traditional ruck set up. Jolly takes 80% of the ruck and Brown pinch hits, but does his damage around the ground. Blake will be the ruck option I feel. Gwilt and Dawson will be able to take Dawes and Cloke. Feel sorry for Macca. I really do, but with Collingwood's small forwards, it was always going to be risky dropping Dempster (who has been in great form) for Baker. We need Baker.

Blake to play on Brown all day, I like this move...

with Gardy and McEvoy, i hate to say it, but we're a bit top heavy and slow versus the mosquito fleet at Collingwood

While I am convinced their will be late changes, on the surface this could work. Collingwood actualy lose flexibility with their inclusions, StKilda gain a lot.

The Pies don't have the tallest forward line, so having Blake follow Brown is good for us

be positive people

I don't see Blake following Brown all game unless someone like Fisher or Gwilt play on Jolly when he goes to FF. With one of them and Dawson playing on Dawes and Cloke.

Mind games?

I think we need the McEvoy/Gardiner Combo in the Ruck. I'd be really suprised if McEvoy didn't play, having said that its up to Ross and I have no reason to doubt him as he is a brilliant coach.

Wouldn't be suprised to see McEvoy come in for Dempster, Eddy or maybe McQualter

ROSS LYON IS A GENIUS.

Emergencies last week:

Emg: Steven Baker, Jarryn Geary, Jack Steven

Emergencies THIS week:

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Ben McEvoy, Rhys Stanley

NOTICE that the saints website ran a puff piece this week about Ben McEvoy and how awesome he is. Why would they do that if he was going to get dropped? Also, why would they then submit a puff piece to the AFL about Stanley running the GF sprint and then name him as the emergency? Especially when he wasn't named last week or the week before?

It's SIMPLE. How do you beat Collingwood's swarm? Long kicks to strong-bodied, marking talls. A la McEvoy and Stanley. Bringing in Stanley doesn't really make us "top heavy" because he's as agile and mobile as any smaller player. What he does add is another tall marking option which we need to kick over the mongrel pack that swarms around each player.

Now, Micky is going to be thinking "derp derp keep game plan the same!!!" and then be absolutely CLUSTER****ED when we bring in McEvoy for Baker (who's OBVIOUSLY still carrying an injury) and McQualter...

I called it here first :)

I like Blake running with Brown all day but I just don't think Gardiner can match it with Jolly. Therefore I assume Kosi will have a couple of stints but then the forward line will be too small. I suppose that could work for us because the extra tall they would have could double team Riewoldt and then we would ignore him and they wouldn't know who we are going kick it to...the problem is that we wont either.

Baker will go on Davis or something which is fine but I'd rather Goldsack in than Presti. Not really bothered though.

I think everyone will be expecting a late change.

Edit: Come on people Stanley has no chance of playing. Ross isn't that stupid. I think our game plan to get it out of our defense will be kicking to the boundary to Gardiner and I guess now Kosi who will either knock it out of bounds or front and centre to a crummer who handballs it across to someone who kicks it to Roo. Been doing it all finals. Don't need another tall, especially Stanley. So crushed Macca is out I thought he was an X factor for us.

Mind games?

I think we need the McEvoy/Gardiner Combo in the Ruck. I'd be really suprised if McEvoy didn't play, having said that its up to Ross and I have no reason to doubt him as he is a brilliant coach.

Wouldn't be suprised to see McEvoy come in for Dempster, Eddy or maybe McQualter

If you were Maxwell, and mini came to you at the opening bounce, would you say "i'd better respect this bloke and not zone off to help out Presti"? I doubt it. Mini doesn't do enough imo. (would love to be proved wrong of course).

Stan as an emergency? He couldn't, could he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROSS LYON IS A GENIUS.

Emergencies last week:

Emergencies THIS week:

NOTICE that the saints website ran a puff piece this week about Ben McEvoy and how awesome he is. Why would they do that if he was going to get dropped? Also, why would they then submit a puff piece to the AFL about Stanley running the GF sprint and then name him as the emergency? Especially when he wasn't named last week or the week before?

It's SIMPLE. How do you beat Collingwood's swarm? Long kicks to strong-bodied, marking talls. A la McEvoy and Stanley. Bringing in Stanley doesn't really make us "top heavy" because he's as agile and mobile as any smaller player. What he does add is another tall marking option which we need to kick over the mongrel pack that swarms around each player.

Now, Micky is going to be thinking "derp derp keep game plan the same!!!" and then be absolutely CLUSTER****ED when we bring in McEvoy for Baker (who's OBVIOUSLY still carrying an injury) and McQualter...

You think Stanley will come in? I reckon there is more chance of Bakes rucking than Rhys coming in.

Baker and Dempster to Davis and Didak.
Jones to someone more important.

Gardiner rucking with backup from Kosi.

HOWEVER, looking back at the Cats game we would have been boned if McEvoy wasnt there holding up the fort while Gardiner had his injury attended to.

Could be smoke and mirrors, I'm going to trust Ross to do what's best.

ROSS LYON IS A GENIUS.

Emergencies last week:

Emergencies THIS week:

I don't know if it will happen but I think I like it. :thumbsu:

Dont know why everyone thinks theres going to be a late change. I feel sorry for McEvoy but I think the change makes sense. He wanted Baker in and couldnt find the spare in any position except for in the ruck.

Considering how they go in with only 1 ruckman and use a forward, we can do the same with Kosi, and this gives us another in and under defender that can tag, which makes sense if you think the ball is going to be in our defence alot. Also people are saying that Blake will go in the ruck against Brown, this is just not going to happen. Blake doesnt play in the ruck. Gardiner is fully capable of playing ruck most of the time and Kosi can go there when he rests.

Sorry McEvoy, you will get your chance, but I think this is another master stroke from our Brilliant Coach.

Plus maybe they think if Gram re-injures his groin we would have a capable replacement in Baker.

It appears I'm going to have to explain what I meant by tall that it's not if a bloke is tall but that if he actually plays tall, and I can struggling to find a game where Dempster (193cm) played on say a Paddy Ryder, Barry Hall, Johno Brown or etc while I can for say a Gwilt (188cm) or a Fisher (192cm) it's why a Clint Jones isn't the same type of player playing on the same types as Jarryn Geary despite both being 183cm tall.

Dempster plays mid-small and attempts to outdo them in the air and with core strength in a bigger body, this is similar to Gilbert who plays Mid-Tall (192) but not Fisher (192) because his agility isn't as high as Gilbo's.

As such, dempster is not an adequate swap for McEvoy in the tall stakes, you'd have to then think of a Gardiner, Kosi, Dawson, Fisher type, and it's a bit hard to drop the usual whipping boy in Dawson when he pantsed the crap out of the runner up of the Coleman medal in a prelim final. Far easier to drop the back up ruckman and for a part timer like Kosi, stick Gardiner, BJ or Dal in the square and have a fluid forward line.

Baker is pretty much a must for match up sense (Dempster to Davis | Baker to Didak) so the only way I can see Macca coming in is for someone like an Eddy or Mini and suitably fringe or carrying an injury (Gram).

Dont know why everyone thinks theres going to be a late change. I feel sorry for McEvoy but I think the change makes sense. He wanted Baker in and couldnt find the spare in any position except for in the ruck.

Considering how they go in with only 1 ruckman and use a forward, we can do the same with Kosi, and this gives us another in and under defender that can tag, which makes sense if you think the ball is going to be in our defence alot. Also people are saying that Blake will go in the ruck against Brown, this is just not going to happen. Blake doesnt play in the ruck. Gardiner is fully capable of playing ruck most of the time and Kosi can go there when he rests.

Sorry McEvoy, you will get your chance, but I think this is another master stroke from our Brilliant Coach.

I am extremely confident that if thats our side.. Kosi won't leave the forward line... other wise we just invite them to not only double team nick but triple team him..... Do you not remember Blake playing ruck during nearly all of GT reign? And when RL chucked him in the ruck 2 years ago against the Hawks and he kicked 3 2nd half goals? He has a huge leap he plays alright in the ruck... could work out ok if he goes head to head with Leigh Brown.... But I would be a fair bit it will be Blake not Kosi in there.

I won't believe that's the 22 that run out until they run out.....

......but.

Collingwood don't have a traditional ruck set up. Jolly takes 80% of the ruck and Brown pinch hits, but does his damage around the ground. Blake will be the ruck option I feel. Gwilt and Dawson will be able to take Dawes and Cloke. Feel sorry for Macca. I really do, but with Collingwood's small forwards, it was always going to be risky dropping Dempster (who has been in great form) for Baker. We need Baker.

Yeah I think the fact that Collingwood don't have the traditional ruck set up with two genuine ruckmen is the reason for McEvoy being omitted. The Pies had an advantage last time with their amount of run so dropping McEvoy for Baker gives us some extra run.

You'd think Blake would take Brown but who knows, may still be a late change.

ROSS LYON IS A GENIUS.

Emergencies last week:

Emergencies THIS week:

I doubt Stanley will be a late inclusion, he has to defend his GF sprint title:D!!!

They wont risk playing Blake in the ruck in a grand final after he has only played that position 2 times in 3 years, plus he's not fit enough anymore to play in the ruck.

Your right about Roo getting double teamed though. Not sure how there gonna work it out. They obviously have a plan, will wait and see how they position, still dont think blake will be put in the ruck.

They wont risk playing Blake in the ruck in a grand final after he has only played that position 2 times in 3 years, plus he's not fit enough anymore to play in the ruck.

Your right about Roo getting double teamed though. Not sure how there gonna work it out. They obviously have a plan, will wait and see how they position, still dont think blake will be put in the ruck.

Leigh Brown does alright in there and thats pretty much the reason we have made this change... I would say Blakes fitness is much higher than Browns.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 AFL Grand Final St Kilda vs Collingwood 25/9/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back