2011-2012 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin the Clown and his big wheel of punishment was in charge then.

Did Letang even miss a shift? See Steve Downie's pre-season hit on Campoli for a similar non-suspension hit. Letang sees him coming yet does nothing to protect himself. Pacioretty never at any point lifts his elbow or forearm in the direction of Letang’s head. Taking a shot on goal just before the collision makes Letang lead with the head. The rule quite clearly states that will be considered when deciding whether the hit is legal or illegal. The referees seemed to think it was fine. Even Gary Galley, noted Hab disapprover, critiques Letang and defends Pacioretty.

Whack away and dig hard enough for an extended period of time and it is quite easy to jam a puck from under a glove. It was a referee blunder. Everyone knows it. Plays such as those should be reviewable.

You get to see both incidents here.

[YOUTUBE]JBAY8nRaoZw[/YOUTUBE]

With the hit, Letang is already turning into his shot well before Paci hits him. His head didn't duck into the hit or anything. Max aimed for his shoulder, but got his head. At least a one game suspension, but I will be called for Pittsburgh bias and I do have a man crush on Tanger, so that's cool.

As for the goal, you can clearly see that at no time did Price have his glove over the puck. The puck was sitting right next to his pad and he was fishing around for it because he couldn't see it and while his glove may have been near the puck, for Neal to know where to poke (and while Dupuis and Letang each had a go, Neal only took one poke) he could see it and that means that Price wasn't actually covering it.

There was no whacking away at the glove to make it move. Dupuis barely touched him, Letang tried to drag it out because he could see it as well and Neal took one poke with the toe of his stick. Hardly whacking away.

Was the ref in a bad position? Sure, but he can't be everywhere. Did he wait too long to whistle it dead? Maybe, but I hate it when refs blow it dead way too early and the puck pops out the other side of the goalie just as he blows because he never really had it. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Montreal got away with one earlier when Kunitz got called for goalie interference on a shot when the puck was going in anyway, whether Kuni hit him or not. Correct call but it could have gone either way. So they got one and we got one.

He was poo in that first game.

I'm struggling to understand why you even posted that. You have this obsession with digging up the past and not allowing people to have opinions.

Because I thought it was hilarious at the time and still find itfunny plus I have a photographic memory. ;)

"Terrible choice = Tournament MVP" :D

I'm not denying anyone an opinion. I only bring yours up because you got in a sook.

You seem to have an obsession with Toews. He's a winner, get over it.

With the hit, Letang is already turning into his shot well before Paci hits him. His head didn't duck into the hit or anything. Max aimed for his shoulder, but got his head. At least a one game suspension, but I will be called for Pittsburgh bias and I do have a man crush on Tanger, so that's cool.

My last take on it until their phone call.

If duck is not the right word then "lead" with the head. Letang knows the hit is coming yet chooses to take no action to protect himself and fires away. Pacioretty aims for the shoulder, hits shoulder and then head (Pacioretty is 3 inches taller) therefore head not targetted. Pacioretty finds himself with a chance to stop a goalscoring opportunity, he can't do nothing. There must be an onus on players protecting themselves when cutting through the middle of the ice. Otherwise we'll end up with a bunch of Selwood brothers (head duckers) and players getting suspended by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

By the letter of the law he should be ok, no suspension.

The Ducks major problem is they have Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne as the talented forwards and then it just majorly drops off, apart from Koivu who is getting on.

On defence they are worse. Visnovsky is good offensively but average defensively, like Cam Fowler. They lack quality shut down D. Cam Fowler is a -13 with Lydman a -11.

Then in the Goalie department, Hiller is no where near his absolute best, but even at his best he is only a just above average goalie. Ellis is a capable backup at best as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ducks major problem is they have Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne as the talented forwards and then it just majorly drops off, apart from Koivu who is getting on.

On defence they are worse. Visnovsky is good offensively but average defensively, like Cam Fowler. They lack quality shut down D. Cam Fowler is a -13 with Lydman a -11.

Then in the Goalie department, Hiller is no where near his absolute best, but even at his best he is only a just above average goalie. Ellis is a capable backup at best as well.

I agree completely. The Ducks top guys (Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne) are all extremely good players, and with the exception of Selanne, all are still pretty young. The problem though, as you said, is they have virtually no one else. You look at their 3rd and 4th lines and it's like "who??". They pretty much have star NHL level scoring lines, supported by AHL level checking lines. They have very little depth defensively too, as you also pointed out. I don't mind Hiller as a goalie to be honest, but I agree that he is not on the elite level by any means. For the Ducks sake, I hope they draft well and can sign some quality players, especially on the blue line. I'm not sure what their cap situation looks like at the moment, so if anyone cares to post some info, it would be appreciated.

I'm really just happy that my Blackhawks beat them. It looked pretty bad for us early in the game, but Sharp and Toews were awesome towards the end of the game. We haven't been playing very well ourselves lately, so I am happy to finish the road trip with an even split.

I was reading the Boudreau thread on HF and someone put up this stat.

NHL games coached by coaches in the SouthEast Division.

Guy Boucher - 104
Claude Noël - 47
Kevin Dineen - 23
Dale Hunter - 0
Kirk Muller - 0

That is a little scary that only one coach has a seasons worth of experience in the top job in the NHL.

I was reading the Boudreau thread on HF and someone put up this stat.

NHL games coached by coaches in the SouthEast Division.

Guy Boucher - 104
Claude Noël - 47
Kevin Dineen - 23
Dale Hunter - 0
Kirk Muller - 0

That is a little scary that only one coach has a seasons worth of experience in the top job in the NHL.

Very interesting. One could say Muller was running the show in Montreal with Uncle Jack overseeing everything. I'll be amazed if he isn't a success.

Nearly 4000 games played between the bottom three on that list (3,944), none for the top 2 on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011-2012 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back