Mega Thread 2011 AFL Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think SOS has assembled the Giants list better then Scott Clayton at the suns, seems more balanced and they got a nice mix of experienced big bodies and as such, should avoid the numerous pastings The Suns received last year.

Think GWS will win more games in their first season then the Suns did this year.

Geelong fans getting carried away. Hamling is an athlete who is along way off. Kersten is a good pick up if he gets away with his height. Murdoch is pretty soft (Quayle has a hard-on for him) and a 30yr old VFL ruckman. Don't get how that's smashing it.

Perhaps Geelong should delist this new crop now then. Every team is happy now, well bar Melbourne:p But thanks for your assessment. I think i will back the guy who has delivered 3 very very recent premierships:)

Geelong fans getting carried away. Hamling is an athlete who is along way off. Kersten is a good pick up if he gets away with his height. Murdoch is pretty soft (Quayle has a hard-on for him) and a 30yr old VFL ruckman. Don't get how that's smashing it.

Don't feel bad, you're not expected to. :p

I honestly think SOS has assembled the Giants list better then Scott Clayton at the suns, seems more balanced and they got a nice mix of experienced big bodies and as such, should avoid the numerous pastings The Suns received last year.

Think GWS will win more games in their first season then the Suns did this year.

They haven't a single player in the top 100 players in the competition. How the hell are they going to win more games than GC?

The only borderline player is Callen Ward.

Well, that's it, we'll all have to settle for bread crumbs as Geelong takes the next 5 flags.

At least I can console myself with the knowledge that Tom Mitchell will win the next 5 Brownlows.

They haven't a single player in the top 100 players in the competition. How the hell are they going to win more games than GC?

The only borderline player is Callen Ward.

They've at least seemed to try to load up with more AFL bodies. I honestly don't think we can say how they'll go until after the PSD...and when they play a game.

Hilarious. We really are untrollable right now.

When you already have a circle jerk about how you got the best kids, saying it's "unbelievable" how well you did, the team may not be trollable, but a fair few of your supporters are :p

From the AFL website:

GEELONG
The Cats came into the draft late, but can lay claim to having the best draft of the lot.

WA forward Joel Hamling (No. 32) is the key prospect they were after, Shane Kersten (34) is a bullocking forward rated inside the first round and lightning-fast flanker Jordan Murdoch (48) was everyone's late tip to bolt into the first round.

Throw in explosive Glenelg small forward Lincoln Murphy and mature-age ruckman Orren Stephenson and the Cats added real talent and depth in a tricky draft with late picks.

A bit of a name change there for young Lincoln McCarthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Geelong should delist this new crop now then. Every team is happy now, well bar Melbourne:p But thanks for your assessment. I think i will back the guy who has delivered 3 very very recent premierships:)
Where did i say delist them? Just saying it's hardly smashing it. None of them have played a game yet. A 30year old ruckman suits your needs to replace Ottens. It doesn't suit many others. You have Pods and Hawkins so you have time to develop Hamling over the next few years so you could take the punt. Just wouldn't say you smashed it.

When you already have a circle jerk about how you got the best kids, saying it's "unbelievable" how well you did, the team may not be trollable, but a fair few of your supporters are :p

Basically this. The draft period is exciting but c'mon, no one really knows how any of these kids will turn out.

Still, it's funny to read.

Embarrassing from some Cats fans on here. Nobody knows how the draft will turn out for anybody. To spruik about how well we have done is not showing the humility that the club itself prides itself on.

Basically this. The draft period is exciting but c'mon, no one really knows how any of these kids will turn out.

Still, it's funny to read.
The obsession with the potential of teenage boys read like the minutes of a Nambla meeting.

I guess the Blues should have passed on Andy McKay 19 years ago and picked Nick Holland because he had upside.

She said the same about us last year. Drafting well is only half the job.

Certainly developing that raw talent into bona fide first grade AFL players is an art into itself. The fact the Cats field a dedicated VFL reserves team is a big plus in the education of these fledglings.

Where did i say delist them? Just saying it's hardly smashing it. None of them have played a game yet. A 30year old ruckman suits your needs to replace Ottens. It doesn't suit many others. You have Pods and Hawkins so you have time to develop Hamling over the next few years so you could take the punt. Just wouldn't say you smashed it.

Emma said we smashed it, she has shown herself to be a pretty good judge.

Emma said we smashed it, she has shown herself to be a pretty good judge.

She also has her favourites.

She labeled Casey Sibosado a top 10 pick 3 years ago, and a future star indigeneous key forward in the mould of Franklin.

He went in the rookie draft to Freo, and is already on the scrap heap.

Murdoch was her favourite this year = Geelong smashed it.

Maybe they're already talking to a ruckman coming out of contract at the end of the season and think Brogan can cover until then.
Giles and Brogan are more than adequate ruck stocks as Downie develops. Giles was the Orren Stephenson of the SANFL (best ruckman, played with Centrals) until GWS picked him up as a rookie last season, and is only 23-24. He will be their number one ruck next year and maybe beyond.

They've at least seemed to try to load up with more AFL bodies. I honestly don't think we can say how they'll go until after the PSD...and when they play a game.

These senior players in Brogan, Cornes, Power and even McDonald were not firing for their clubs before the end, how they will go with less talent around them is interesting

She also has her favourites.

She labeled Casey Sibosado a top 10 pick 3 years ago, and a future star indigeneous key forward in the mould of Franklin.

He went in the rookie draft to Freo, and is already on the scrap heap.

Murdoch was her favourite this year = Geelong smashed it.

time will tell, but im happy she rates our initial collection.

Well the Adelaide recruiting manager doesn't agree.;)

Maybe you should drop him an email and try and make a bet as well.:D

GWS has recruited younger players as opposed to Bock 28, Ablett 26, Brennan and Ritchatelli. But what they did do is grab older / bigger players dirt cheap (salary cap wise) in Cornes, Brogan and O'Haplin.

Used all their draft picks on kids. They are planning to peak in 4 years but with better salary cap planning over the next 4 years opposed to how GC have.

GC is a better place to live but it will be very interesting who retains more players over the next 5 years, whoever does best with this will have more success, thats the key to these two new teams IMO.

Used all their draft picks on kids. They are planning to peak in 4 years but with better salary cap planning over the next 4 years opposed to how GC have.

I don't get how they could have better salary cap planning. By the time GC's young stars really hit their peaks, the Ablett's, Bock's, etc., will be nearing the end, and likely in a front loaded contract. This means GC will have more room to pay their young guys more.

GWS will still be paying Scully, Ward, etc. extraordinary amounts of money, by the time thier stars peak. Does anyone really think that Scully will be happy to take a massive pay cut once his current contract runs out? Hopefully, this means that either Scully, etc., walk out on the club, or they pay Scully more and lose their young stars. GWS especially, will be in a lot of trouble in a few years, unless they get players to agree to significant pay cuts to what they could be making, and we all saw what happened the last time Scully was asked to do that :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2011 AFL Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back