Preview 2011 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

are you best on ground if yer team gets smashed?

not in my book.
Why on earth not? This is an award for individual brilliance, and if Ablett's solo BOG performance doesn't get his team up, does NOT detract from his performance. Makes him stand out even more. Imagine Ablett next year with a good preseason and able to play 3-4 more games.

A total of 16 Geelong players polling an aggregate 91 votes for the season 2011, with Selwood leading with 17 votes.
Congratulations to Menzel and Christensen for receiving their first vote(s).
and VARCOE's 5 votes.

are you best on ground if yer team gets smashed?

not in my book.

Judd did against the pies last year, twice! when we pumped them by 9 goals both times. We were up by 80 points in the second game before we let them get a few cheap goals. Hence why Eddie wasn't happy.
I'd hate to think what the result would have been if he didn't get BOG in both games.

And 3 votes again this year when won by 19 point after the Heath Shaw issue.

Swings and roundabouts.

Thought Kelly was a bit light on the votes tonight, definitely deserved a few more. Selwood is having a great year, hope he gets rewarded with a NS in the big one.

But it's a credit to the team that the votes were well spread, the workload was evenly shared all year and I think that's a better formula for success than rather having your top 10 or so players carrying the form of the team throughout the year.

And the most impressive part of the night was Menzel and Christensen polling their first Brownlow votes, many more to come :thumbsu:

Carlton finished 4.5 games behind us and they poll more votes as a team. That says it all about the medal really. If you're not a well known superstar then you don't get votes easily.

It even happened with our players. Kelly should've had at least twice as many votes. Chapman I think got some default votes where the umpires felt they had to give us votes but didn't know who to give them to so Chappy gets them because he's a champion. I thought Menzel and Christensen deserved a couple more votes and none of Mackie, Taylor and Ling polled a single vote despite all having some big games throughout the year.

Oh well who cares. Bring on Saturday!!!

A few games there where we won but the opposition got the 3 votes - says a lot about the nature of our game plan this year. Loved Menzel getting BOG in rd. 24, should be a huge boost for him knowing that he's starting to be rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few games there where we won but the opposition got the 3 votes - says a lot about the nature of our game plan this year. Loved Menzel getting BOG in rd. 24, should be a huge boost for him knowing that he's starting to be rated.
Hurt to see that.

Collingwood v Geelong, D Menzel 3 votes.

Cats - Not a single top 10 Brownlow finisher

Congrats Joel Selwood on his club topping equal 14th in the count!

Some particular indications that the white maggots haven't got a clue:
  • Enright 3 votes all season.
  • Ling 0 votes in total despite a few BoG performances.
  • Varcoe more votes than Scarlett (seriously).
  • Scarlett getting 3 votes in total, Taylor nil.
  • Jason Gram getting as many votes as Scarlett and Enright.
I've always thought (this season in particular) that the eunuchs in white have less idea about footy than the average 10 year old girl. Now I know it to be true.

So congratulations Dane Swan: people who think that Jason Gram is worth as many votes as Matthew Scarlett think that you're the best player in the league! PS - Might want to speak to your girlfriend occasionally, too.

Why on earth not? This is an award for individual brilliance, and if Ablett's solo BOG performance doesn't get his team up, does NOT detract from his performance. Makes him stand out even more. Imagine Ablett next year with a good preseason and able to play 3-4 more games.

i am sure if it was a regular season game josh gibson's 20 or more spoils of individual brilliance against sydney would not have garnered votes and may possibly have impacted the game more than 40 possies and 3-4 goals in a pumping.

just my opinion.

on your last para, ablett, like most mids is assured votes regardless. look at swan, misses 3-4 games and record number of votes.

What if you get 45 possies and kicks 5 goals but they get smashed? Is that not worthy of BOG? :confused:

again, just my opinion but no.

Norm Smith Medal:confused:

name a norm smith medallist whose team has been smashed by 60 plus points?

I'm not surprised to be honest. I honestly could see anyone at the cats that had a standout performance. It's a midfielders medal and we rotated so heavily through the midfield that more often than not our midfielders got 25 possession compared to 40+ by Swan.

Steve Johnson not getting 3 votes against Melbourne was rediculous. Something like 25 scoring involvements which is amazing

i am sure if it was a regular season game josh gibson's 20 or more spoils of individual brilliance against sydney would not have garnered votes and may possibly have impacted the game more than 40 possies and 3-4 goals in a pumping.

just my opinion.

on your last para, ablett, like most mids is assured votes regardless. look at swan, misses 3-4 games and record number of votes.

again, just my opinion but no.

name a norm smith medallist whose team has been smashed by 60 plus points?

so we taking in the 60+ points margin then;) you get out of jail there because I have no clue if a player won the norm smith but lost by over 60 points. I reckon many teams have lost between 20-40 points and a norm smith goes to the opposition team though.

Just came on to say the same thing,highlight of the night for me.

so we taking in the 60+ points margin then;) you get out of jail there because I have no clue if a player won the norm smith but lost by over 60 points. I reckon many teams have lost between 20-40 points and a norm smith goes to the opposition team though.

i consider a smashing 60 plus points...on your other point i though ablett senior was the first to win a norm smith in a losing side and maybe only buckley and judd after him. i gotta leave work now so i am sure someone will google correct me.

It seems strange that we just finished second, and no Geelong player is being talked up as any hope of the brownlow. Goodes played a handful of good games and he is being talked up, much like ablett whose team won a handful of games.
Kelly for top 5 finish for me, good odds still available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet it annoyed you that Ablett got so many votes.

BTW, I noticed you called him Ablett in your quote, not judas. What's going on? Cats being in GF put you in a forgiving mood?

Re: Cats - Not a single top 10 Brownlow finisher

when menzel got 3 votes against the pies in round 24, i was so impressed. I'd thought he would get 1 or 2, but 3 is awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2011 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back