2011 Official AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

quoting out of context? You said you are versing three top four teams in the first thirteen weeks. There arn't many teams that you arn't playing in these weeks...
my comment was in response to Legend166 complaining that Collingwood's first interstater is Round 14. I replied with a comment suggesting I would prefer Collingwood played interstate sooner and then after we return we have to play grand final contenders, Hawthorn, St.Kilda and Geelong

that's all !

As far as i understand the AFL is about winning a premiership cup. This can only be done by winning as many games as possible to make the finals and then keep winning those all the way into October if you have to.

Lamenting about the fixture keeps supporters and clubs stuck in "victimness" creating a negative atmosphere before the season even starts.

A fresh 2011 awaits where anything could happen, and it will !

Each club, including Collingwood, has to focus on winning: week by week, game by game rather than put energy into how badly done by they are or how disadvantaged they are by the fixture. Hell, some teams think they are so disadvantaged, they don't bother to show up (DOCKERS) That's not how you win games or Premierships.

Start pumping up all your club, team and player strengths and focus on winning games. You have to withstand most conditions to win a Premiership Cup, you gotta be "hard core" not fairweather fixture sissies.

This kind of thing is easy to say when the AFL gives your supported club every convenience and every advantage. Collingwood for the many already documented reasons get favourable treatment from the AFL. Pies fans telling other clubs supporters that they're sooks that need to shut up is a bit rich. You'd change your tune pretty quickly if the shoe was on the other foot. I call BS if you say you wouldn't.

Collingwood fans sound like they don't mind if it's all unfair, so long as it favours them.

This kind of thing is easy to say when the AFL gives your supported club every convenience and every advantage. Collingwood for the many already documented reasons get favourable treatment from the AFL. Pies fans telling other clubs supporters that they're sooks that need to shut up is a bit rich. You'd change your tune pretty quickly if the shoe was on the other foot. I call BS if you say you wouldn't.

Collingwood fans sound like they don't mind if it's all unfair, so long as it favours them.
Oh yeah, we are so favoured

Premiership 1958
Premiership 1990
Premiership 2010

Somehow, I'm not seeing your point, if you have one. If that's AFL supported favouritism, then we can do without it.

But if your point is to rant and whinge against Collingwood, then go for it. but what a waste of energy that you are not giving to your club.

Are you a paid up member??

nearly as much as a farce as sydney rarely playing Collingwood twice in a season

certain 8 points.lock it in eddie

Last year and this year are the first two years in quite a while where we haven't played you twice in a year.

meh. If we're sitting around waiting for the afl to give us a good draw then we may as well just pack up our shit and move to tassie now.

The reality is that because of a variety of factors, notably historical ones out of every clubs control, we don't have a massive latent support base.

Eddie can flog off all he wants but the key reason why collingwood has so many supporters is due to planning decisions made 150 years ago that dictated that the teeming slum on the collingwood flat by the yarra be where much of the populace was dumped when they got off the immigrant ships.

Had it been moone ponds greek, not merri creek, the situation would be reversed.

So we can't just assume we'll get a good draw on the back of that.

But the reality is that the afl does give successful teams better time slots and increasingly (this will be a key feature of the new tv rights deal) the stations will demand to get the interesting games rather than just the 'big sides'. Time after time its shown that people would prefer to watch two good teams, or two teams with some spice etc, than just the biggest supported clubs.

So it is in our control to an extent - we play good footy, we win games, we get a better fixture.

No point whinging about the draw.

this^^^

Can supporters of Victorian clubs stop complaining about the number of times they play at the MCG.

Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn are co-tennants of the MCG.

Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne are co-tennants of Etihad Stadium.

It's quite simple really.

If you aren't happy then complain to your club about your stadium arrangements.

If clubs like Fremantle can bitch about not playing there then so can we.

2luyotk.jpg
what about Collingwood, or is that just a given.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy with Richmond's draw. Ideally we wouldn't be at Darwin for a game but otherwise good. Season frontloaded with games at the G so the AFL clearly hoping that - especially with Essendon likely to struggle - we go reasonably well, get the fans out and help to offset the attendance decline that is coming.
Pleased to have the Pies only once. They are Prems and who needs to play the Prems twoce and also if we are going well we won't need to have the magpies pump our crowds. Pleased to avoid Cat Park as well. The little dump has dragged us down on and off field too often.

I'm happy with Richmond's draw. Ideally we wouldn't be at Darwin for a game but otherwise good. Season frontloaded with games at the G so the AFL clearly hoping that - especially with Essendon likely to struggle - we go reasonably well, get the fans out and help to offset the attendance decline that is coming.
Pleased to have the Pies only once. They are Prems and who needs to play the Prems twoce and also if we are going well we won't need to have the magpies pump our crowds. Pleased to avoid Cat Park as well. The little dump has dragged us down on and off field too often.

We play home games in Cairns and Darwin. They will bring the crowd average down a touch. Wonder how much profit we'll gain from those 2 games. I would have preferred to play Gold Coast in Round 2 as an away game and given a home game against the Saints or Dogs at the G instead of away. We were originally involved in GC's first game. Would have been good for us with a possible sell out and big tv coverage. We'd make a bit from a home game against Saints or Dogs game at the G

Meh. If we're sitting around waiting for the AFL to give us a good draw then we may as well just pack up our shit and move to Tassie now.

The reality is that because of a variety of factors, notably historical ones out of every clubs control, we don't have a massive latent support base.

Eddie can flog off all he wants but the key reason why Collingwood has so many supporters is due to planning decisions made 150 years ago that dictated that the teeming slum on the Collingwood flat by the Yarra be where much of the populace was dumped when they got off the immigrant ships.

Had it been Moone Ponds Greek, not Merri Creek, the situation would be reversed.

So we can't just assume we'll get a good draw on the back of that.

But the reality is that the AFL does give successful teams better time slots and increasingly (this will be a key feature of the new TV rights deal) the stations will demand to get the interesting games rather than just the 'big sides'. Time after time its shown that people would prefer to watch two good teams, or two teams with some spice etc, than just the biggest supported clubs.

So it is in our control to an extent - we play good footy, we win games, we get a better fixture.

No point whinging about the draw.
Classic

We play home games in Cairns and Darwin. They will bring the crowd average down a touch. Wonder how much profit we'll gain from those 2 games. I would have preferred to play Gold Coast in Round 2 as an away game and given a home game against the Saints or Dogs at the G instead of away. We were originally involved in GC's first game. Would have been good for us with a possible sell out and big tv coverage. We'd make a bit from a home game against Saints or Dogs game at the G

I simply disapprove of home games outside Melbourne full stop. I don't care what the money is and I know you basically agree with me.

Of course its not perfect but its as good as we can hope with 8 homes at the G.

If clubs like Fremantle can bitch about not playing there then so can we.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: .... when clubs get more than 11 games @ the G, any club that is being short changed should complain as long as the current finals arrangements are in place.

Another example of the two (2) tier treatment of Melbourne clubs, the haves & the have nots.

I simply disapprove of home games outside Melbourne full stop. I don't care what the money is and I know you basically agree with me.

Of course its not perfect but its as good as we can hope with 8 homes at the G.

Yeah. I don't know why we couldn't have stuck with GC at Gabba Round 2 with a full house and big tv audience. The game against the Saints at the G would have been a home game instead. We should have asked the afl to schedule us againt Port at the G very early in the season while our hopes are up. We'd get 35,000 and a good profit from that. We'll lose 40-50,000 crowd aggregate. Not sure what difference in profits we'd make from crowds of 35k and 50k at the G compared to 10k and 15k at Cairns and Darwin

So lets accept that all clubs want to play Collingwood, we all know the benefits, so dont need to spell them out, how would you propose the AFL get around that?

cheers

I'd suggest the AFL tell all clubs the fixture is not a vehicle for profit maximisation and is there to ensure a competition that is as fair as possible for all clubs.

Of course, the AFL use it as a profit maximisation tool, so it's pointless.

I'd suggest the AFL tell all clubs the fixture is not a vehicle for profit maximisation and is there to ensure a competition that is as fair as possible for all clubs.

Of course, the AFL use it as a profit maximisation tool, so it's pointless.
So according to your "no profit" and "it's not about the money" philosophy, Sydney Swans shouldn't exist and the AFL should have bankrupted South Melbourne and now you would be following another club , maybe Collingwood ? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Official AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back