2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waylen Manson? Kicked 28 goals in 3 games in the NT. Exciting. Extremely good kick for goal.

Wouldn't mind him

Kicked 10 in the magoos rd 1, 8,10 in seniors since. Plays for the team that fev played for. For the record, fev kicked 8

I know it's a way off, but would you be able to throw up a couple of names for discussion. Thanks.

Some names to discuss at 31?
Thomas sheridan, clay smith, seb Ross, Shane Nelson, Josh waldhunter and John mckenzie are worth considering as midfield options. Some but not all will be available.
Bolger and brown possible ruck options.
Frost(unlikely) Orval, dobosz, Hammond and Elton possible talls some not all available.

So the Hun thinks we're interested in Daniel Markworth. He's only played a couple of years but has drawn a lot of interest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-show-his-talent/story-e6frf9jf-1226175575353

Height: 189cm
"Equal sixth best time in the 20m sprint and in the repeat speed test. All on a sore knee."
"...his creativity, cleanness and especially his speed, either on the lead or surging away from congestion, is what sets him apart."
"He can hit top speed in three steps, and at the same time, put in a few lateral ones as well."
"Last season he notched the fifth most marks on the lead in the TAC Cup. He also showed potential swooping through the midfield."

I'm interested. Anyone know anything else?

Pull the trigger on Manson at 19 and Turner at 31!!!

Lets back in the beast to put a body on Melksham, Heppell, Colyer and Zaka. Jetta and Stanton to get a bit bigger too. They will compliment Watson, Hocking and Lonergan who are great hard ball winners.

Forward line of Hurley, Manson, Crameri, Davey and Turner with resting ruck and mids rotating through there should be electric.

Pick 19 - Devon Smith for me, only small but very zippy around goal and in general traffic. Fills an immediate hole as a small forward and will develop into a ball winnning midfielder so addresses the second need over time.

Pick 31 - Mitchell Grigg seems to be the slider and i hope he slides to pick 31. Pace could be an issue but his left foot is a weapon!

our first draft pick

just wondering what every oen thinks

considering our first pick is #19, i was wondering what the greater community thought about who we are going to pick up with it.

who wee need and position should this player play

Re: our first draft pick

I want Manson and I suspect that Carlton will take him with their first pick if available so lets take him at 19. There will still be a decent inside mid at 31.

I think there might be more then some realise because GWS will take the best KPPs, who might not be rated the best players. Then if we take Manson I suspect that some teams after us will panic and go for KPPs earlier then planned. That may see the decent mid slip.

Bloody Benfti has got my heart set on a player again and I suspect it will broken again. Liam Patrick and Alan Christensen didn't come to us. Please Dodoro and Hird get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there might be more then some realise because GWS will take the best KPPs, who might not be rated the best players. Then if we take Manson I suspect that some teams after us will panic and go for KPPs earlier then planned. That may see the decent mid slip.
So we take the suspected 3rd round-rookie pick in the 1st, and hope like hell some other teams **** up and leave 1st rounders there?
How about... and this could be crazy... take the 1st rounder in the 1st, and see what's there for the 2nd & subsequent.
No, reading back, I am crazy, that doesn't make sense

Bloody Benfti has got my heart set on a player again and I suspect it will broken again. Liam Patrick and Alan Christensen didn't come to us. Please Dodoro and Hird get him.
Patrick's done 3/5ths of F.A.
Not a bad call at all by disco.

Christensen hurts; because we needed - and still need - clean, skilful smalls.

I am a big fan of Nic Haynes, holds his feet really well in the congestion, can take a mark, can play wing / HF and has heaps of upside.
I have seen him hold his feet very well, bit like Crameri at times, yet he is nowhere near as physically developed as some of the other players playing against him, would be a treat to watch in a few years.

No.
But neither had Patrick or Skinner; whereas Jurrah had played best part of a season in the VFL... and look how they all turned out... oh, wait....

Long way to go for all of them, Jurrah included. Patrick did very well in the first Q-clash thank you very much and I haven't followed Skinner closely at all. I do know the club thought highly enough of him to not force him not give up his jumper number to Ablett.

Point being I think Manson may have the talent of a first rounder, even top 10, but hasn't been in "the system" yet. That is an exciting prospect. The biggest worry has been whether a club could get him to stay and buy into the AFL life but the fact that he has travelled so much in the last few months to show off his wares suggests that he does want it.

Most scribes have said that the mids between 15-35 will be of fairly equal talent. So the guy we take at 31 might not be a down grade on the guy we would have taken at 19, in fact he could still be around.

That is my thinking. I'm not claiming it is fool proof but is sufficient for the amount of time I have to invest into knowing about junior footballers, not much, and the fact that I am in no way proffesionally involved with the recruiting department at EFC.

foj1, HM or Ant, thoughts on Sam Frost? Where do you expect him to go?

Looks like an athletic beast.

Gut feeling - GWS with one of their later first rounders.

Immensely athletic, competitive, brave. Can take a grab. Genuine kpp size, extremely mobile and finds the ball in general play, not just a kick-mark type. Will fill out - has the shoulders for it. Still learning the game (needed some coaching from the sidelines in the TAC) since he is fairly new to footy. Needs to learn where & when to run. Mostly played CHB but a bit on the ball or in the ruck. Disposal ok, but not really a standout.

GWS have some excellent mids already, and will get a couple more in the draft, so can afford to take a tall like Sam later as a reach. Frost can happily learn the game in the NEAFL for a year or two, then be ready to step in when Cornes retires, or when Davis gets injured again. They could even develop him as a mobile ruck/fwd in the Paddy mould (he's just tall enough, though it's a tougher role to learn and his development would take longer) if the sub rule keeps moving the game in that direction.

Point being I think Manson may have the talent of a first rounder, even top 10, but hasn't been in "the system" yet. That is an exciting prospect. The biggest worry has been whether a club could get him to stay and buy into the AFL life but the fact that he has travelled so much in the last few months to show off his wares suggests that he does want it.
Exciting, yes. No question. A need, though?

And I don't think the problem has ever been what'd happen in the first few months.
Being in a system, being in the same cold city a zillion kms away for 2-3 years before ever getting a game tends to be the real killer.

Most scribes have said that the mids between 15-35 will be of fairly equal talent. So the guy we take at 31 might not be a down grade on the guy we would have taken at 19, in fact he could still be around.
Yeah I just think we're no-where near the point of over-thinking it and being clever. I think you tend to get caught up in the romance & hype of certain players: specifically awesomely athletic (but extremely raw) kids from the backblocks.

As far as I see it, we need midfielders before the ball even gets forward. If there are good midfielders on the board, grab one. Simple as that.

Manson will likely be there at 31, hell he's a half-chance to be there @ 59. I'd be surprised if a kid who's basically never played top-level juniors went in the first couple rounds.

Exciting, yes. No question. A need, though?

And I don't think the problem has ever been what'd happen in the first few months.
Being in a system, being in the same cold city a zillion kms away for 2-3 years before ever getting a game tends to be the real killer.

Yeah I just think we're no-where near the point of over-thinking it and being clever. I think you tend to get caught up in the romance & hype of certain players: specifically awesomely athletic (but extremely raw) kids from the backblocks.

As far as I see it, we need midfielders before the ball even gets forward. If there are good midfielders on the board, grab one. Simple as that.

Manson will likely be there at 31, hell he's a half-chance to be there @ 59. I'd be surprised if a kid who's basically never played top-level juniors went in the first couple rounds.

Yes I do and there is nothing wrong with that. Stories like this is part of my passion for the game.

Also I don't think our forward line is finished. Next year a midfield rotation of Watson, Hocking, Stanton, Howlett, Lonergan, Melksham, Zaka, Jetta, Colyer and Heppell should do better then it did this year if injuries can be reduced. Winderlich and Dempsey will add extra pace to the flanks. With some more muscle on the younger guys there we might see some more pace on the inside of the packs too.

That said our forward line could click next year. If we're lucky enough to have Hurley, Crameri and Gumby on the park for most of the year and Davey, Jetta and Winderlich are also injury free then sure it should go well. I just think long term that Hurley and this Manson kid will combine amazingly with Ryder/Daniher as resting ruck. They all add a different dimension to the forward line.

Prolly worth noting that I think a lot of what went right this year was down to chucking in a lot of big heavy strong bastards who can play a bit; rather than super quick runners.
I don't really see the point of very, very light talls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back