2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123413.

Ellis is a great kick, and a big vertical leap.
Not sure if we are looking for a medium defender though.

Came 5th in the beep test with 15.4, so he is definatley fit and has endurance.
25/30 (83%) in the kicking.
70cm standing vertical jump.

Would be a good result it we could get him, and a quality midfielder.

I reckon Ross may be in mix for first round pick

Clubs rate him higher that we do on BF?

Looking increasingly likely that the much maligned word, 'potential' is going to be used during draft period as clubs try and outfoxed one another..

Another one for people to think about.

If Myles Bolger is available at 31 would you take him?

I know these top end mids are pretty bloody good but the talent of the next 30 (midfielders) seems to be pretty even. There seems to be only a select few ruckmen in this years draft..

We could still get some decent midfielders in the rookie draft (couldn't we?)?

Ellis (small defender) and Bolger (ruckmen) would give us two areas of concern a real boost if we were to go down that path..

I think clubs will rate players from 15 on much more differently than usual. A few people I speak to reckon essendon may pull the trigger on Ross depending who falls.
Bolger is like most ruckman a work in process. I like another kid from wa called gault and downie from ballarat has a big upside. I would rookie a ruckman like we did with Jenkins.

Clubs rate him higher that we do on BF?

Looking increasingly likely that the much maligned word, 'potential' is going to be used during draft period as clubs try and outfoxed one another..

Another one for people to think about.

If Myles Bolger is available at 31 would you take him?

I know these top end mids are pretty bloody good but the talent of the next 30 (midfielders) seems to be pretty even. There seems to be only a select few ruckmen in this years draft..

We could still get some decent midfielders in the rookie draft (couldn't we?)?

Ellis (small defender) and Bolger (ruckmen) would give us two areas of concern a real boost if we were to go down that path..

I think clubs will rate players from 15 on much more differently than usual. A few people I speak to reckon essendon may pull the trigger on Ross depending who falls.
Bolger is like most ruckman a work in process. I like another kid from wa called gault and downie from ballarat has a big upside. I would rookie a ruckman like we did with Jenkins.

Foj1

What are his skills (outside) like? I have heard varying reports from a few people. Some say they are good for an inside midfielder, others say they are below average.

What would you say they are like?

could he play games next year? or would he only get a handful of games at the backend of next year?

Wouldn't be happy with an AA small defender?

FWIW, I think GWS would be mad not to grab him..

As I said, depends on the price, I am no overly keen on picking a defender with our first pick personally, not with the fact our midfield is the key area we need addressing.

Any chance we could/should pick up Waldhuter at 31? I like the attack on the footy and seems to love chasing and tackling... I think we seem to lack too many guys who stick tackles and have that Mitch Robinson style attack on the ball and man..

Would love to see us pick up Jye Bolton in the PSD, seems a ready made midfielder, who to be honest I am surprised was delisted by Collingwood. Any thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foj1

What are his skills (outside) like? I have heard varying reports from a few people. Some say they are good for an inside midfielder, others say they are below average.

What would you say they are like?

could he play games next year? or would he only get a handful of games at the backend of next year?

RoAs can play inside and outside though I think is better suited to an inside role. His skills are good- he doesn't have the sizzle of Grigg or mckenzie by foot but he is proficient. Having watched a fair chunk of testing at etihad stadium I just don't know if Grigg is quick enough and I believe gws will load up on mids in the draft with a couple more really promising talls. In my mock which I will release tomorrow I have essendon taking Ross at19 and Sheridan at 31. I think that would be a pretty fair result and we would get two genuine mids who are not tarsiers at all.
I think Bolger will land at Geelong for pick 32 Or 34. I get plenty wrong but I reckon I stated previous years that vary and bellchambers would go later than most on bf believe. I have longer going at 9 in my mock draft- athletically gifted ruckman tend to go earlier eg nicnat kruezer Ryder white Fraser before wrecked by injury

Longer's final position will be absolutely fascinating. Will really give a hint as to where the clubs think the future of rucking is. Nicnat/Kreuzer etc went high because they play that dual ruick/mid role, but Longer perhaps not so much, but on the other hand he is a genuine pack-crashing power forward prospect, so can rest in the fwd line to great effect (won't have to be benched and cut into the midfield rotations). Is there room for that sort of player still, and how hugh do clubs value that capability? Has the sub rule changed things? Interesting stuff.

I think you guys are in a good position to get 2 solid midfielders due to GWS 11 picks, Fremantle 3 picks, Brisbane 3 picks, Eagles 2 picks, Saints, Adelaide all requiring tall developing players.

So i can see a few midfielders sliding, players to discuss for pick 19
B.Mckenzie, D.Smith, Greene, Adams, Markworth

pick 31
Docherty, Crozier, Grigg, Ross, Nelson (Kerridge although i dont think he will go this early), maybe could last to pick 59 which you guys are going to use to promote a rookie

I just think GWS will take 6 talls, Brisbane 2 talls, Freo 2 talls, Eagles one tall, Adelaide tall, Saints tall - leaves a few midfielders with the possibility of sliding.

Mitch Farmer got cut from Richmond.

I remember people on here wanted him when Port were trading him.

Personally I haven't seen much of him. Worth a rookie spot?

Not AFL standard.

If Port don't take Longer at 6 if he is available I think Brisbane will snap him up.

I don't think Brisbane would taKe longer with 8 thus I reckon gws would nab him with 9 10 or 11 just my theory I have no inside knowledge regarding gws strategy. It is in essendon's best interest for gws to draft tall. More mids for us to choose from at 19 and possibly 31.

I was keen for him to be picked up as a small defender. Reminds me of Mark Johnson - minus the toughness.

A rookie could be a go.

A player i did like pre draft and when he was at Port but he did nothing at the Tigers or for Coburg which worries me a bit.

We need speed in the midfield, unless they're as good as say Luke Hodge, Simon Black, Jobe Watson, Sam Mitchell etc.

Cats have proven you dont need speed if the player is good enough... Toughness, foot skills and the will to suceed can overcome leg speed to a certain extent.

I like what I read about Seb Ross, he wants to improve and has a biggish body for a midfielder.

But you are right we need a midfielder, we need to be proactive and as good Ellis maybe (assuming he is a heath shaw protege) he would only strengthen our ability to counter-attack. I want to see us put pressure on other teams and be proactive rather then reactive.

On the other hand if Ellis could mature into a future midfielder I would definitely have a look at him for pick 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back