2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Grigg really put in a 3.40 for the 20m sprint at draft camp?

I'm also unconvinced about Tweeddale. He CAN play, but he doesn't show what he can do very often. Flashes and glimpses. But imho certainly worth a shot as a freebie scholarship rookie outside the regular rookie list, which is what we'd be getting him as.

hey foj1 what are your views on Josh Waldhuter and Marley Williams thanks mate??

Waldhuter may slide down to pick #31, does not rack up possessions, has had games where he gets more tackles than possessions. 13.1 beep test, not great.

Did Grigg really put in a 3.40 for the 20m sprint at draft camp?

I'm also unconvinced about Tweeddale. He CAN play, but he doesn't show what he can do very often. Flashes and glimpses. But imho certainly worth a shot as a freebie scholarship rookie outside the regular rookie list, which is what we'd be getting him as.

Mitch Grigg - 3.19sec 20m sprint, 15.1 beep test
http://twitter.com/#!/sticks123456789

Waldhuter may slide down to pick #31, does not rack up possessions, has had games where he gets more tackles than possessions. 13.1 beep test, not great.
13.1 is pretty good for an 18 year-old. From the PD board he'll slide to 31

Foj/Ant

What do you think about Cameron Valentine as a KPF option in the rookie draft?

I think he has some tools to work with, seems like a natural FF/CHF.

Thoughts??

Have liked a bit of what i have seen of him and he is on my list of players worth looking at late in the draft or rookie draft.

To answer a few of the Tweeddale questions up until the last champ game i was very 50/50 as he had shown good patches of form here and there but never really for an extended period of time.
In that last game he carried NSW back into the game in the second half and really stood up and it showed to me that he would be worth a rookie spot as we can lock him in with the last selection.

There is always someone that drops in draft rankings. This year as GWS has so many top 15 draft picks they maybe tempted to take more speculative picks e.g. a Hayden Crozier, a KPP and is it Makworth who may need a year or two to develop their bodies before having an impact at AFL level.

I'm absoultely positive someone within top 15 will drop to us at 19, last year Heppell, Atley and Darling dropped.

There is always someone that drops in draft rankings. This year as GWS has so many top 15 draft picks they maybe tempted to take more speculative picks e.g. a Hayden Crozier, a KPP and is it Makworth who may need a year or two to develop their bodies before having an impact at AFL level.

I'm absoultely positive someone within top 15 will drop to us at 19, last year Heppell, Atley and Darling dropped.

Pretty sure you will be correct, GWS have indicated that they will take a few talls so that may well change the order of things a bit. No point them taking 7 or 8 midfielders and only a couple of KP players or rucks so i am expecting something different this year given the pure number of early picks they have.
Only they will know who the sliders will be.

Hope the AFL do not bother with the reverse top 10 countdown this year, will be pretty boring with GWS holding 7 of the picks. May as well just start from pick 1 and let them get it out of the way.

It is certainly going to be a one of a kind draft.

Ant, is Seb Ross a good option at 31? Because I'm still uncertain if we should take him or Kerridge there, because neither seem to be able to slip to 59. If only we could've kept 41 as well as getting 31 for Jenkins, that way we could get both of them

Ant, is Seb Ross a good option at 31? Because I'm still uncertain if we should take him or Kerridge there, because neither seem to be able to slip to 59. If only we could've kept 41 as well as getting 31 for Jenkins, that way we could get both of them

Have heard about Ross, seems to be the player we need.

Also have heard a few things about Kerrdige, but can anyone give more detail on the type of player he is ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Kerridge over Ross but pick 30 to 60 is the area of the draft Ross should go in.You never know Ross could get to 59.
One thing you can guarantee and that is there will be some players going in spots we never imagined with GWS holding most of the top 25 and clubs trying to play guessing games on who may have the best upside out of an even bunch.

I would not be totally shocked if we went, best mid available, best mid available, Little, rookie promotion Crameri and at least 3 in the rookie draft who have had a few years VFL,SANFL or WAFL experience.

Cheers ant. For 19, who would be first on your radar? I like Markworth and Greene

eth, you have been ridiculing anyone who has suggested that we need an inside mid instead of outside, and now you want Greene?

Btw, I think he is fantastic. Only have the televised champs game on tape but he, like Adams would be great little inside mid.

eth, you have been ridiculing anyone who has suggested that we need an inside mid instead of outside, and now you want Greene?

Btw, I think he is fantastic. Only have the televised champs game on tape but he, like Adams would be great little inside mid.
Greene is an inside/outside mid ala Bartel or Kelly. Plus he's potentially an A-Grader

I've seen him play a lot, as he was in the year below me at our junior club (Ashburton Redbacks) and had the privelidge of playing with him 2 or 3 times. But Markworth looks a likely type.

Greene is an inside/outside mid ala Bartel or Kelly. Plus he's potentially an A-Grader

I've seen him play a lot, as he was in the year below me at our junior club (Ashburton Redbacks) and had the privelidge of playing with him 2 or 3 times. But Markworth looks a likely type.

Okay, my mistake, I thought you wanted an Andrew Lovett style outside mid, which Greene is nothing like.

Okay, my mistake, I thought you wanted an Andrew Lovett style outside mid, which Greene is nothing like.
I do, but another A-Grader is more important, and I see Seb Ross as that at 31.

Maybe at 19 we should draft someone who could be attractive to Gold Coast for when we make a play for Caddy next year. I'm thinking Jackson Paine, if GWS don't take him. Great mark, nice mobility for someone his size, and can play stints in the midfield. GC could be after another KPF next year.

Also, I wouldn't mind if we got one of Valenti or Dwyer, and one of Macaffer or Maric.

Ant- Do you have a view on Brandon Ellis at pick 19? I know we picked up a few defenders last year, but he looks ready to go, and we still desperately need someone to take small forward. Besides, there has to be something in choosing the best small defender over the 10th best mid.

Although, in saying that, I want Markworth too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back