2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would take Greene, a more well rounded midfield prospect IMO.

This rookie draft is going to be so important, with 6 new rookies (+ potentially Nick Ryan and Oliver Tweedale), if we can snare even two AFL standard players, that would be a huge plus..

Been looking at Kerridge more and more and he carries himself SOO well..

Sounds like a real leader of men and exactly the type of player we could use..

Hope we can get him, liked what he did in the VFL and his testing was good.
Not sure where he will go and that may be the issue, no reason why you would not pick him at 19 but he is more likely to be 25 to 50 or maybe even a bit later.
Not a bad on field leader either.

What are people's thoughts on giving trav tuck a rookie spot.
I know him personally, these media articles aren't bullshit, ive never seen him look fitter and seem surer of himself... If he does get another crack, I don't think he will let anyone down...

That's the line of thinking I was going with. He is a tall hard at it inside mid who is 24 and in ripping condition at the moment. Being tagged vs Casey in the vfl shows he is handy enough in the VFL.

Someone like him as a back up, I also dont mind the romance of getting Ben Ross down to play with Mike on a rookie spot.

We could do worse than these two in the rookie draft.

Hope we can get him, liked what he did in the VFL and his testing was good.
Not sure where he will go and that may be the issue, no reason why you would not pick him at 19 but he is more likely to be 25 to 50 or maybe even a bit later.
Not a bad on field leader either.

I would 'reach' for him at 31, absolutely.. Are you able to give us some indication why he is being touted so low?

Can play inside or outside, good speed for an inside midfielder, racks up the touches week in week out and was consistent as anyone in the TAC cup, and like you said Ant, a real leader..

Would love him and Ross (at 19) would be perfect for our midfield..

What do you think we will look for in the rookie draft Ant?

the Kerridge calls are good calls imo. liked his VFL outings a lot, and the Bendigo Bombers heirarchy agree - they think a hell of a lot of him.. if he was available at our second pick, i'd be very happy and would be content that we would have a very solid player at worst. purely on his VFL form, I hope we get him. throw in the fact that the Pioneers struggled all year and his ceiling could be quite high in better surroundings. I cannot fathom how people talk about a weak draft, yet have this bloke as low as 50 or 60? either the draft is better, or he should go much much higher, because you don't have a good game in a VFL elimination final at 17 years old without being able to play a bit.

It seems a case that some players become "trendy" on-line, and others do not. a consensus builds that often has little to do with reality.

HFF, i'm not qualified to give an opinion on Ross at #19, but for some reason i don't like it? :confused: no idea why, maybe just on player types Markworth, Mackenzie etc sound more appropriate. not that my opinion carries any authority at all on those kids.

I'm like you whomb but if the bombers could go to the draft and possibly get a dynamite fwd pocket/mid in Devon smith at #19 and a midfielder with explosive pace in Kerridge at #31 they would be delighted and so would I. It would really go a long way to filling specific areas of weakness.

That's the line of thinking I was going with. He is a tall hard at it inside mid who is 24 and in ripping condition at the moment. Being tagged vs Casey in the vfl shows he is handy enough in the VFL.

Someone like him as a back up, I also dont mind the romance of getting Ben Ross down to play with Mike on a rookie spot.

We could do worse than these two in the rookie draft.

Thought the same thing myself, exactly the type of player i would be looking for in at least 3 of the rookie spots.

I would 'reach' for him at 31, absolutely.. Are you able to give us some indication why he is being touted so low?

Can play inside or outside, good speed for an inside midfielder, racks up the touches week in week out and was consistent as anyone in the TAC cup, and like you said Ant, a real leader..

Would love him and Ross (at 19) would be perfect for our midfield..

What do you think we will look for in the rookie draft Ant?

The reason Kerridge is not talked about as much is most have not seen a lot of him, he was fringe Vic Country and did not make the final squad and unless you are Martin or Sellwood it is hard to stand out in a side that gets smashed most weeks with minimal midfield support.

At first i was looking at him as a good second or third round pick, probably third round but he tested really well at draft combine and he was very impressive in the interviews from all reports as well so now i am really hoping he is around at 31 and given how even the draft is i could entertain him at 19.

As far as the rookie draft goes at least 3 midfielders from the state leauges like Tuck or Valenti or someone similar from the SANFL or WAFL. Blokes with AFL ready bodies who are ready to see if they can go the next step like Howlett and Hardingham.
The other 3 spots for development talls and we have a International rookie from PNG whos name escapes me at the moment but is a midfielder who played for PNG in the recent series.

The reason Kerridge is not talked about as much is most have not seen a lot of him, he was fringe Vic Country and did not make the final squad and unless you are Martin or Sellwood it is hard to stand out in a side that gets smashed most weeks with minimal midfield support.

At first i was looking at him as a good second or third round pick, probably third round but he tested really well at draft combine and he was very impressive in the interviews from all reports as well so now i am really hoping he is around at 31 and given how even the draft is i could entertain him at 19.

As far as the rookie draft goes at least 3 midfielders from the state leauges like Tuck or Valenti or someone similar from the SANFL or WAFL. Blokes with AFL ready bodies who are ready to see if they can go the next step like Howlett and Hardingham.
The other 3 spots for development talls and we have a International rookie from PNG whos name escapes me at the moment but is a midfielder who played for PNG in the recent series.
No crumber at all?

I'd rather go 4 mids and a small forward instead of 5 mids.
In fact, probably 2 mids and a small forward onto the main list; 2 talls and [strike]a ruck [/strike] Campbell onto the rookies, and see what's left for the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meli? Didn't he go and play for Coburg this year?

by the sound of players description i wouldnt cry foul if we landed two of ellis, seb ross, Devon Smith, mitch grigg, kerridge, markworth with our first 2 picks. They all seem to have positives and negatives, as Kerridge was apparently injured with OP does this mean he has good upside, how are his skills, would Dean Robinsons leg strengthen exercises help take him to the next level.

he also suits the blonde superstars being injected into our side Hurley, Heppell, Hird.

No crumber at all?

I'd rather go 4 mids and a small forward instead of 5 mids.
In fact, probably 2 mids and a small forward onto the main list; 2 talls and [strike]a ruck [/strike] Campbell onto the rookies, and see what's left for the rest.

I think they will delist 1 more (my opinion only) and use 19,31,59 Crameri upgrade so possibly that small forward with one of the picks in the ND.

Of course if they can find a good crumbing forward from the SANFL or WAFL then i would not be against it, just dont want to be looking at 18 year olds that far down the list.

Meli? Didn't he go and play for Coburg this year?

As said above not Meli, it is another kid from PNG. Pretty sure he played for PNG in the recent rest of the world cup and i think in the under 16 side that played in the 2nd division under 16 champs this year .
If he did not play in both he certainly played in one of them.

I think they will delist 1 more (my opinion only) and use 19,31,59 Crameri upgrade so possibly that small forward with one of the picks in the ND.
I hope so, tbh.
Altho taking the extra month and using the PSD over the last ND pick has served us pretty well.

Of course if they can find a good crumbing forward from the SANFL or WAFL then i would not be against it, just dont want to be looking at 18 year olds that far down the list.
I'd be quite prepared to use 31 on the forward. Will all that many clubs be looking for a crumber/small forward?

Strangely enough with Jetta he was drafted as a small forward who would hopefully play in the midfield and as a junior he would never pass the ball near goals and played 90% as a forward.
Think he got the kicking yips a few seasons ago so he tends to pass the ball off a lot although he has started taking more shots recently.

Lol, stuffed that up, thought he played mid / half back. Thats what happens when you start talking about these kids without actually watching underage footy.

the Kerridge calls are good calls imo. liked his VFL outings a lot, and the Bendigo Bombers heirarchy agree - they think a hell of a lot of him.. if he was available at our second pick, i'd be very happy and would be content that we would have a very solid player at worst. purely on his VFL form, I hope we get him. throw in the fact that the Pioneers struggled all year and his ceiling could be quite high in better surroundings. I cannot fathom how people talk about a weak draft, yet have this bloke as low as 50 or 60? either the draft is better, or he should go much much higher, because you don't have a good game in a VFL elimination final at 17 years old without being able to play a bit.

It seems a case that some players become "trendy" on-line, and others do not. a consensus builds that often has little to do with reality.

HFF, i'm not qualified to give an opinion on Ross at #19, but for some reason i don't like it? :confused: no idea why, maybe just on player types Markworth, Mackenzie etc sound more appropriate. not that my opinion carries any authority at all on those kids.

I keep talking about Ross as I think we have recruited enough 'flanker' types in the past 3 drafts, along with those 3 - 6 year players already. Time to start hitting up our structures where it really hurts.. The midfield.

If we recruited Markworth, I can see him battling it out with Crameri, Riemers and even Monfries, however good a prospect he may be, just think our early picks could be put to better use.

I have liked the Kerridge/Ross combo for a while now and going to stick with it as it would really benefit us long term..

Has simply dominated games at VFL level and not looked out of place when given the chance at senior level.

Decent enough skills, could be more efficient by foot and finish off a bit more in front of goals.

Plays predominantly outside but can win his own ball when required.

Injury prone is the only thing that has seen this former second round draft pick struggle to lock himself into the strong Magpies midfield.

At 22, he could be a useful pick up, but seems very similar to Prismall.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back