2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys would be crazy not to get rid of another player in Long or Dyson the latter probably the better option to open up another pick at 59.

At of Chris, Snoop, Knightmare and the Bigfooty one they have

Ross going at (59,39,41 and 31)
Kerridge going at (54,49,52 and 56)

Kerridge not in the top 26 for the TAC cup future stars order and not in the top 30 for afl.com so will almost certainly be available at 31 or even later, that is the reason why you wouldnt take him at 19 when you guys could have

T.Adams, D.Smith, Crozier, Markworth, Grigg, Ellis, B.Mckenzie still as options at that pick if Brisbane take 2 talls, freo take a tall in Kersten at 16 and GWS take 5 talls in their 11 picks and thats without any sliders in Greene or Kavanagh who could possibly slide.

Kerridge reminds me alot of Luke Parker when he was at TAC and i know how much you guys wanted him last year at 31.

Ellis is what we need - someone who is capable of shutting down the smaller forwards. We still get belted by those types, and it would release Heppell into the midfield. A second choice between a safe option (Kerridge) and an all or nothing (Manson) could be on the cards.

You guys would be crazy not to get rid of another player in Long or Dyson the latter probably the better option to open up another pick at 59.

At of Chris, Snoop, Knightmare and the Bigfooty one they have

Ross going at (59,39,41 and 31)
Kerridge going at (54,49,52 and 56)

Kerridge not in the top 26 for the TAC cup future stars order and not in the top 30 for afl.com so will almost certainly be available at 31 or even later, that is the reason why you wouldnt take him at 19 when you guys could have

T.Adams, D.Smith, Crozier, Markworth, Grigg, Ellis, B.Mckenzie still as options at that pick if Brisbane take 2 talls, freo take a tall in Kersten at 16 and GWS take 5 talls in their 11 picks and thats without any sliders in Greene or Kavanagh who could possibly slide.

Kerridge reminds me alot of Luke Parker when he was at TAC and i know how much you guys wanted him last year at 31.

I can't agree more. We need three live picks this year.

I would love to see us get the best of those you mention who is available at 19. Then I'd like to go Manson at 31 and small forward at 59. If Manson isn't available at 31 then I'd go another mid at 31 and get one less mid then was planned for rookie draft.

I spose when you're looking at picks between 19 and 31 the probabilities of them being a good player are at the range that you'd have to take two picks to find a good player, over simplistic I know but if we can't go for a potential game breaker like Manson it'd be good to make sure we aim for what look like solid players in Ross and Kerridge.

I think Manson would be a great get for Essendon because of our great culture of settling indigenous kids in. Also with Hurley and Gumby/Carlisle to work around with he almost certainly wont have to play on gorilla defenders. He has great pace so should be able to make sure opposition don't run it out too easily, obviously with some coaching and a few preseasons into him.

In the end we still need one or two more development years so the list needs to continue to be regenerated till we get the right mix. Last year we looked bare in a few areas. Quick lock down defenders, inside mids quick enough to break away or chase and tackle opposition trying to break away and genuine goal kicking crumbers. With Dempsey and Hibberd back next year I feel that the backline will be covered, also if Hooker and Pears stay on the park then Fletch can play genuine 3rd tall.

I really hope Keane and Dodoro have a rookie pick up their sleeve that for genuine crumber as well as looking at one in the draft.

Hey Saladin

How was Kerridge in the VFL games? Was he a real leader? Was he predominantly on ball? just interested to know how he carried himself during his time with the VFL Bombers.

Thanks bud

He played on ball a reasonable amount. They gave him opportunities in the centre square, and also wing / half forward. I thought he looked more useful and more comfortable away from the centre bounces, but no surprise there given three games is not a great way to learn ruck patterns. Has nice hands in marking contests. I didn't notice the flawed kicking that some mention ocassionally - he over-kicked a pass or two but nothing that any player doesn't do once a game. I liked his versatility, he was happy to try to compete for the ball, but also got out for the linking play.

A real leader? Hard to say, you don't expect 17 year old kids to fill in at VFL level and assert themselves overtly. What is beyond dispute is that he was not overawed, certainly not intimidated and had a great time just playing with fully developed players.

A solid player - both mentally and physically - at a minimum. I can't say what pick would be appropriate because i've seen bugger all of the other kids and so i don't know where he would rate in relation to his peers. But i still think that if he's going to get picked in the 50's or 60's then this draft is far better than the impression many would give. As mentioned, I think good performances at VFL level as a fill-in ( including a nice display in a VFL elimination final) suggests something about the kid.

Edit: as for Ross, i had the impression that he hasn't been a pure mid even at TAC level, and that's probably why i was a bit doubtful. If that's not the case, then he's probably worth looking at. But as i said, i'm by no means worth listening to on this one for an informed opinion.

Elliot Kavanagh.............

Lets hope he does a Shaun Atley.

Kav would be a beauty for us and i would almost put money on him for the rising star :p

But seriously. He could drop. would be so good and so crazy if he did

Elliot Kavanagh.............

Lets hope he does a Shaun Atley.

Kav would be a beauty for us and i would almost put money on him for the rising star :p

But seriously. He could drop. would be so good and so crazy if he did

It would, he's top 10 on talent. But, it's hard to see GWS not taking him with all of their picks. I heard he has OP.

Maybe an obviuous answer to this but can we leave Crameri on the rookie list and therefore allowing us the third pick? Slattery, who is apparently out of favour may have to mysteriously be on the LTI list, but having said that I think a player must have a medical by an independant doctor before they are placed on the LTI list??

Main problem with that is considering rookie list players only earn a base salary of around 30k I don't think Crameri would be all that thrilled with the idea.

Maybe an obviuous answer to this but can we leave Crameri on the rookie list and therefore allowing us the third pick? Slattery, who is apparently out of favour may have to mysteriously be on the LTI list, but having said that I think a player must have a medical by an independant doctor before they are placed on the LTI list??

Carlton have left Curnow on their rookie list, but don't we have to upgrade Crameri, or be forced to delist? We also have more list-cloggers than the Blues, sadly.

Just think about what you said for a second...

You work at a company, are one of the top employees, exceeding all KPIs set out for you; come promotion time your boss says that you're staying where you are in the company on the same salary, benefits, the works, despite your value in the employment market being far greater than what your current capacity within the organisation is.

You would laugh in his face, pick up and leave right? (Well I'd hope so)...and as would Crameri and there would be 17 other clubs throwing out the red carpet.

Hey guys. I wanted to get some opinions on which player you are hoping we draft with pick 19.

I'm not just looking at the draft experts, I'm interested in hearing anyone's rationale.

Crameri signed a two-year senior deal during the season and then won our goal kicking. any talk that we might leave him on the rookie list is stark raving insanity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we had room for 3 live picks in the draft... will be a pretty boring one after #31 thats for sure!!!

Sebastian Ross, Brandon Ellis, Devon Smith and Daniel Markworth will all be around the mark for #19... if Crozier slips would we take him?? What about Zyrus Manson??

I think with contested ball being the new idealists word being thrown around ellis, ross, kerridge, grigg are our man. If we went hard after caddy for this reason then who out of that batch resembles are hard nosed midfielder that isnt afraid to get his hands dirty?

Sorry for the intrusion guys, but I was wondering what you think Essendon's draft strategy will be? Best available, or are there any gaping holes on your list that need fixing?

Needs

Probably a class midfielder - two would be better.
Crumbing forward
Ruck

Have only 2 picks in the ND - so imagine these will be midfielders.

Have 6 rookie picks - so this will probably be a mixture of players, project ruck, small forward, project KP - possibly one or two mature age players.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...izarre-path-to-essendon-contract/2356131.aspx

What do you guys think of Jaryd Cachia?
Invited to pre-season for Essendon.

I quite like the idea.. Saw a few VFL games from him and he is a tough uncompromising inside midfielder who also had some success both up forward and briefly down back.

Strong overhead, Cachia can play on a flank and use his strong decision making to make an impact on the game where he wAs often a standout at the lower level..

His kicking has been a work in progress where his decision making has helped make him a better disposer of the ball.

I have said we should look at him (and Bolton - former Pies rookie) as potential rookie recruits :thumbs:

Needs

Probably a class midfielder - two would be better.
Crumbing forward
Ruck

Have only 2 picks in the ND - so imagine these will be midfielders.

Have 6 rookie picks - so this will probably be a mixture of players, project ruck, small forward, project KP - possibly one or two mature age players.

Me thinks we may make list moves prior to the PSD (just a feeling) especially since we seem to be inviting mature players to training.

Really hope he gets another go somewhere, you guys would love the way he goes about it. Had some really strong games in the VFL this year, wins a lot of the ball, hits the packs and the man very hard. Would like to see him get an extended run of AFL games, once he picked up the speed of the game I think he would add a lot to a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back