2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the nature of this draft is that the top 6 or 7 is pretty much settled as to who will be picked, but we dont know the order, after that there could be heaps of bolters and heaps of sliders due to the evenness of the talent from the mid teens through the first 3 or four rounds. basically we should pick for a need rather than drafting someone cos theyre highly touted

Taylor Adams - last year watching Vic Country, I was looking out for Heppell and Atley at the time, and this little bloke keeped popping up doing some pretty good things and always putting his body on the line, so I took note and looked into him and it was Taylor Adams, Bomber Thompson would absolutly love him and so will all the supporters.

N Buckley was involved with Taylor Adams a few years back (think he was coaching him)and is all over him hopeing he will fall Collingwoods way, Buckley has rated him extremly highly.

I think he may fall to our pick because he has not got the huge X Factor people like to look for, just does all the team things, hopefully we get him.

His coach at the Falcons likens him to Bartel at the same age, has decent kicking skills but is not the quickest bloke out there, but will play a Kirk, Bartel like game.

Edit:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/09/14/279031_local_sports.html

Carlton wont take pick 20 for Lucas, a guy they took with a top 15 pick 2 years ago, 2 years of body development. They would want a KPP in exchange for him.

From mock draft threads I have read they have suggested Taylor Adams or Sam Docherty????

What Sam Kerridge like, i've heard he is a jet and played one game for Bendigo?

Also I'd like to see us trade up the order and get Mitchell Grigg, raking boot on him, strong body, strong mark?

Thoughts?

Kerridge played three games for Bendigo, including the elim, and certainly didn't look out of place. excellent size for an 18 year old, looked more than capable against seasoned, matured players. Good hands, attacks the footy well, used it reasonably well, definite midfield prospect. I haven't seen any TAC this year, so i cannot rank him in comparison to other mids in the draft, but he'd be a chance at pick #20-odd i'd say. If we did take him, i'd be confident we had a solid midfielder at worst.

Midfielder, a real crumber who pressures & tackles, a pacy flanker and some project talls.

Yes, talls, we are effectively losing 2 or 3, we need to replace them.
But that's lower on the priorities.

Kerridge played three games for Bendigo, including the elim, and certainly didn't look out of place. excellent size for an 18 year old, looked more than capable against seasoned, matured players. Good hands, attacks the footy well, used it reasonably well, definite midfield prospect. I haven't seen any TAC this year, so i cannot rank him in comparison to other mids in the draft, but he'd be a chance at pick #20-odd i'd say. If we did take him, i'd be confident we had a solid midfielder at worst.

Cheers mate and good work:thumbsu:

I believe that you have described Toby Greene Donners. He won't slip to our pick anyway

Greene is just as good inside as well. Doubt he will be around when we pick but never say never.

Hoskin-Elliot is one i would like to see slide for us but i am not holding my breath. Good player with pace and skills on both sides.

Im woried Kerridge wont be good enough for our first pick but wont last till our second pick either?

take him with our first ? or hope we get him with second?

seems like the midfielder we need.

Greene is just as good inside as well. Doubt he will be around when we pick but never say never.

Hoskin-Elliot is one i would like to see slide for us but i am not holding my breath. Good player with pace and skills on both sides.
Good point. Will you be at TAC Cup Final Sunday?

From all the mocks I've seen he'll go top 10. Greene has slipped to 22 in some I've seen, if he slips to 19 I really want us to pick him up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

had a bit of a discussion about nick maric on another thread, he's not really on the draft radar for anyone yet so would be taken with a late rounder or early rookie.
Hes a small, smart forward pocket type who lead the tac cup in goals this year.
not 100% on his measurements but hes 170ish tall but the main knock on him is his size.

does he seem like the right type for us?

seems like we'll have to use pick 19 to get kerridge if we want him.

or we will have to upgrade our second round pick to the mid to late 20's i would assume

My draft wish list would look something like this (thanks to Knightmares phantom draft for the profiles)

Pick 19: Sam Kerridge, 188cm, 84kg, Midfielder

Really powerful midfielder. Racks up big numbers in the midfield and this kid is a serious jet. Has an immense burst of speed and was very unlucky not to get games for Vic Country. Has that trademark Judd type explosive speed. Always looks dangerous when he gets near it and gets big clearance numbers. Strong mark overhead. Really great size and can get amongst the goals. Has been very consistent throughout the year. Don’t be surprised to see him push into the first round.

Pick 41: Sebastian Ross, 187cm, 82kg, Forward/Midfielder

Medium midfielder/forward who feels really draftable. Really lively. Has a high work rate. Footskills are the standout feature of his game. Just one of those perfect left footers. Under pressure has no difficulty executing. Really like his tackling pressure and for someone with his footskills it’s a rare combination to have. Can play some midfield either inside or outside comfortably. But really like what i’ve seen of him as a forward most. Hard worker and has been a real improver over the past year.

Pick 59: Jimmy Webster, 186cm, 71kg, Midfielder

Really nice left footer. Has nice penetration on his kick. Great user of the footy. Good pace. Didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped during the champs and because of it has gone down my rankings. But looks like a really solid prospect none the less. Really talented outside mid who can go forward and have an impact.

Pick 77: Jason Williams, 187cm, 78kg, Midfielder

Having a disappointing year by his standard. Coming into the season was regarded one of the better talents in this years draft but has really fallen down the rankings fast. Tall wingman type. Very agile and has nice pace. Has been very inconsistent and needs to give effort more consistently because when he is on he can play some high level football. Strong mark overhead. Tackling can be good when effort is there. Skill level good, but poor decision maker.

Pick 77: Jason Williams, 187cm, 78kg, Midfielder

Was at my school for a few years. Was a talented basketballer too, but opted for football.

Really arrogant and laid-back attitude that could easily pass as lazy. Has no doubt got the talent there if he wants to make it work.

Was at my school for a few years. Was a talented basketballer too, but opted for football.

Really arrogant and laid-back attitude that could easily pass as lazy. Has no doubt got the talent there if he wants to make it work.

Doesn't sound like his cousin at all! :D

No chance we'd go for 4 midfielders. I don't even know if it's a real need; we need absolute class in there not 3rd round decent types; whereas we could do with decent 3rd round types in other areas (small fwd, tall fwd, small back).

Likely 'outs' will be 3 x talls; 1 x mid-sized forward & a few utilities/midfielders; and we are probably short a tall as well from where we'd like to be (what with not having a CHF most of the year & playing our #1 ruck at CHB).

ie... we will be picking at least 2, and quite probably more, talls in the mix somewhere.

Doesn't sound like his cousin at all! :D

No chance we'd go for 4 midfielders. I don't even know if it's a real need; we need absolute class in there not 3rd round decent types; whereas we could do with decent 3rd round types in other areas (small fwd, tall fwd, small back).

Likely 'outs' will be 3 x talls; 1 x mid-sized forward & a few utilities/midfielders; and we are probably short a tall as well from where we'd like to be (what with not having a CHF most of the year & playing our #1 ruck at CHB).

ie... we will be picking at least 2, and quite probably more, talls in the mix somewhere.

Once I posted it and had a couple of responses, I kinda worked out, "wait, we have other pressing needs".

We may even opt for a KPP in the main thing (in the 3rd or 4th round). I think we will look at small forward(s) in the rookie draft as some are most likely going to slip through (Nick Maric, Majot Aneet, Jamie Elliot), whilst most of the decent sized mids (185cm +, 80kg +) will be snapped up in the main draft.

Still think a ruckmen in the main draft is not out of the realms of possibility.

Instead of creating a new thread trying to get my BF name highlighted, I'll use this thread to voice what I believe is the type of player we need and who our most realistic chance of getting one is. Please note I'm leaving it up to you to figure out who I'm referring to.

We need an outside midfielder with tremendous speed and finishing skills that make going to the game more the worthwhile. We need a midfielder who is not only a sprinter but a midfielder who has the balance to kick a goal from 50 metres while running at full speed.

His name is Andrew Lovett.

I think you just described Andrew Lovett :(

HFF is this a type of player you meant when Dodor said we might be looking outside the square? A kid with upside?

from Knightmares draft profile

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843582

#19 Essendon - Daniel Markworth (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 03/04/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style:
Player comparison: Nat Fyfe
Range: 10-45
Profile: Overager with nice positional flexibility. High character. Comes from a tennis and basketball background. Has played as leadup forward as well as a midfielder and brings really nice versatility. Very high athlete with a super burst of pace. Not bad by foot and has a good 55m kick on him. Good ball user by both hand and foot. Makes good decisions with the footy. New to AFL but showing some big progress! Looks very draftable. Still learning the game. Project. But has made big progress! Just keeps getting better with every game he plays and there seems to be allot of upside.

Just take the best avialable midfielder.

When he said "think outside the square" it could mean that they will look more heavily into the local competitions with latter picks given how shallow the draft is supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back